Boyd will not miss Old Firm game

RangersKenny

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank god if he doesnt get a ban. I do think he had a bad game today and hardly touched the ball but I wouldnt take him out my first team.

imo we should start with miller and lafferty for the celtic game

It should be noted that Boyd and Miller have managed 18 minutes together as a partnership against Celtic this season.

In those 18 minutes, they have scored twice.

Boyd played 40 minutes against Celtic at Ibrox?

Miller had to play left wing for a bit when Andy Little was injured. (tu)

Guest SandyIniesta-Nordahl

A bit off topic, but does anyone else think McFenian intentionally got himself booked, in order to clear his record for the Rangers game?

So if Boyd picks up a booking against St Johnstone next week he will still be OK for the OF game?

yes.the ban starts 14days after last booking. So if he's booked on sat then his suspension wud start 2wks later. I'm positive this is the case anyway

Rangers manager Walter Smith was relieved to learn that Kris Boyd has not been ruled out of this month's Old Firm derby against Celtic.

The striker was shown a yellow card during Sunday's 3-0 win over third-placed Hibernian at Ibrox.

"I looked at the list during the week and, when he got booked, I thought he might have been out," said Smith.

"But the referee says it was for obstruction, which is just a two-point one, so he has a point to go yet."

Boyd, who went on to net his 21st goal of the season as the Scottish champions restored their 10-point lead, appeared to elbow Hibs midfielder Merouane Zemmama in the face three minutes before the break.

A caution for violent conduct would have put the striker through the disciplinary points barrier and meant he would miss the 28 February meeting with closest-rivals Celtic at Ibrox.

"We are pleased to have him, there is no doubt about that," said Smith.

"Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller are just coming back from injury and it's important they have a bit of continuity.

"That would mean Kris can play, so we are pleased about that."

Rangers had their lead cut to eight points in midweek after a draw with Motherwell, but the roles were reversed this weekend after Aberdeen fought back to hold Celtic 4-4.

"Everybody makes all these assumptions - it was 10 points and then it was eight points and, when it was eight points, we weren't going to win the league," said Smith.

"People don't give enough credit to the other teams in Scotland and they think it's easy for the Old Firm to win games. It's not.

"We are delighted to have the 10-point gap, but you know the consequences of not winning, so nothing should be taken for granted and I don't think we would."

Indeed, Smith pointed out that Hibs had given his side a tough battle as the Edinburgh side sought to move to within two points of Celtic.

"We had to work extremely hard for the three points," said Smith. "It was a good advert for Scottish football.

"It was going to take something special to win it and Steven Whittaker's goal was just that."

Smith admitted that he had perhaps expected too much of winger DaMarcus Beasley, who was hauled off at half-time, with replacement Kyle Lafferty setting up that first goal.

Beasley has just returned from an injury that cut short a fine spell of form and Smith thought he had possibly been brought into the team too early.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/8515320.stm

Had a wee look and couldnt see a thread about this, but its been confirmed that Boyd will be able to play in the Old Firm game.

His yellow card was only worth 2points rather than the 3 needed to pick up a ban.

Im delighted, well done The Establishment!

:uk: