The myth that Celtic play the best football in Scotland

papaguy51

Celtic play more attractive football than us - perhaps - in that old Kevin Keegan mode - I mean for the neutral a 4-4 draw is a spectacle to watch.

BUT better football NO CHANCE good football teams lose few goals and score more - thats us - we play BETTER football.

I was on RM last night and a few posters seem universally accepting of the 'myth' that Celtic play better football than Rangers.

Celtic, a team that sits ten points and over 20 goals behind us in the table, play better football? Let me fire in some stats;

Steven Davis has more assists than any player in the SPL.

Our right back has as many goals as Celtic's most influential player.

We have won 4-1 three times this season and 3-0 five times this season.

During the month of December, our results read: 3-1, 3-0, 3-0, 6-1, 4-1 and 7-1. Only one of those results was against an opponent outside the top five in Scotland.

The last league game in which we didn't score was on the 28th November.

Two Rangers players are in the top 3 'top scorers' list in the SPL.

I'll happily admit to any team playing better football than us, especially when we're winning, but Mowbray's side do not. At our peak, or anywhere close to it, we are easily the best and most attractive side in the SPL.

Don't let Andy Walker tell you otherwise.

You'll get zero disagreement form me there mate. 21 goal difference.. Best defence in Britain and we're not as good as them? our counter attacking can be sensational, clinical finisher in Boyd, great movement and finisher in Miller.. and Davis tears apart opposing sides with ease.

Not only that, we bring in an 18yr old in the CL who strolls the SPL.. and players who give it 100% for 90+ minutes. Not to mention the best manager in the SPL. And Boogie who can run 95 yards with the ball and score.!

But of course, the Barca of Scotland are better. AYE.

Let them walloow in their myth making and let them think they are the most attractive football side. Its utter nonsense and theres a difference between nancy football and winning football. We have played some great stuff this season and deserve to be at the top of the league because we score goals and dont concede many. Mowbrays team is exactly the same as his WBA team of last season. nancy football that gets you nowhere except downhill!

Every now and again you get a team that plays fairly watchable football but win nothing.

For timmy winning nothing puts them in overdrive and they have to prove to the World that they are in some way superior to us, hence the 'but shellic play ra best fitba in Scotland' myth getting wheeled out whenever they're not winning.

So they are either best because they are winning, or because they are playing the best football. It's timbo's mindset, they are just not normal.

The biggest recent example was tommy burns' shellick side, the one with di canio, hoodwink etc. What gets ignored is that we had a smashing, winning side at the same time.

You could put John Hughes' falkirk side in the same group, always watchable, played a nice passing game then always lost....

If it is the best football, it is clearly the side miles clear at the top of the league, who have won more games than anyone else, scored more goals than anyone else, conceded fewer goals than anyone else, and are the reigning champions.

If it is the msot attractive football to watch, I would say that is also us, but I would put Hibs miles ahead of Timmy in second place for attractive football. We have played Hibs 3 times this season, and they have all been good games, with Hibs able to pass the ball well, have creative players and an attacking philosophy.

The twice we have played Timmy this season, they have not been great games. The first game was over as a contest in 20 minutes, and despite giving them the ball for the rest of the game, they could create nothing and didn't pass the ball well or do anything attractive to watch. In the second game, we again gave away most of the possession in a poor performance from us, but again they only scored one goal, and our goalkeeper only made 1 save. So 2 shots on target at home is not really what I would call attractive entertaining football.

I dont watch their games in full unless we are playing them, so couldnt say if they have been playing great or not against the other teams, but I do listen to and discuss things with a lot of Timmy supporters through work, and I can assure you that (according to the ones still going and not chucked it altogether this season) their impression of the football they are watching is not the party line being spouted on their behalf by their pals in the mhedia, but a rather naive, tactically inept, positionally incompetant team struggling to understand what their manager is wanting them to do, and really poor defensively. And yes, it is hard to stop laughing when hearing this.

celtic have never entertained me nor have i seen better football from them, it's a load of rubbish who ever said it, what an arguement at the end of the season, ach you might have won the league but we played better football and i was entertained said my friend tim ah tim we won the league, case closed

Good points Papaguy.

When we start stringing passes together, our play is phenomenal.

Our counter-attacking is second to none.

I pretty sure we have one of the best defences in Britain.

Plus we're 20 goals ahead of them.

We play the best football and always will!

I think the scum play very entertaining football!

Losing a thrilling game to Hibs. Scoring and conceding 4 in a pulsating match at Aberdeen. Drawing two incredible matches with the SPL bottom club.

How is that not pure entertainment?

But in all seriousness this is an issue I feel strongly about. Our boys play brilliant stuff at times. Not all the time, but there have been games this season where in all honesty we have played at a level that has pleasantly surprised me. I think that we also have the knack of mixing our sexy football with effective football, and that is why we are so far ahead.

We don't get anywhere near the credit we deserve, even from our own fans sometimes. While most people (even some on here) see fit to praise that other lot to the hilt for a few stepovers and tricks.

We're superior in every area of the pitch, were generally ruthless in attack, solid in midfield and tight at the back, and we play as a unit ie we play as a team, they on the other hand are legends in their own minds, a collection, nae a mishmash of mercenaries only here for a pay day, longing in the eternal hope that we will implode.

That kind of shit dont happen ibrox way dear timmy!

Possesion is nothing when you cant do anything with it!

So, better football I dont think so, 'attractive football', maybe on their best day, but even on our worst days we still play effective football and thats why you can stick your style up youre a**e

They do dish up some good games only because the amount of attacking players they play with and how utterly diabolical their defence is, overall Rangers are BY FAR the best all round Footballing team in the SPL, without doubt