SPL considering changes

The Scottish Premier League is considering possible expansion and a play-off system.

"We have been talking to supporters and there does seem to be some desire to freshen things up," revealed SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster.

"That could mean more teams in the SPL but we have to be open to all ideas.

"The play-offs in the Football League have been a tremendous success and innovations like that can create much in terms of excitement and revenue."

The idea of a second tier for the SPL has long been mooted but several managers have expressed their backing for taking the number of top flight teams from 12 to 16 instead.

The SPL, which formed in 1998 with 10 teams, has never employed play-offs.

Doncaster, who assumed his post in July, was behind the launch of a wide-ranging online fans' survey in January, and has always stressed that he is open to change.

However, any amendments to the league would have to be approved by a vote from the 12 clubs.

You need to keep wealthy owners being able to finance clubs - it's the way many clubs have been financed for many, many years

"Anything we propose has to be embraced by the clubs if it is to become reality," explained Doncaster. "The starting point is us generating ideas. We then need to talk to clubs and see if there is a consensus."

Meanwhile, Celtic and Rangers were warned that they would face SPL expulsion if they attempt to negotiate their own television deals.

Doncaster admitted that the loss of one Champions League qualification spot next year would increase the pressure for change.

But he insisted the Old Firm could not go it alone in terms of TV deals.

Speaking at the Soccerex conference in Manchester, he said: "The coefficient being as it is leading to the loss of Champions League representation for one of our teams will certainly increase the pressure for change.

"There's no doubt in my mind that we need to look very carefully at where the SPL is going.

"There are two very big clubs in our mix and they certainly in the past made no secret that they may be open to invitations from elsewhere.

"The (English) Premier League made it unequivocally clear where they stand on that last year and that means that the two clubs, Celtic and Rangers, are likely to be here for the foreseeable future.

"I don't think it has any impact at all on individual selling because that is not allowed under the SPL constitution.

"I find the idea of individual selling very difficult - for me that's not what football is all about. Collective selling makes a more level playing field for the game."

Doncaster also expressed his opposition to Uefa's financial fair play plans, which would stop rich owners from bankrolling clubs. That proposal has already been watered down but Doncaster warned that such action could harm teams.

"It's very important that it doesn't close off the avenue for wealthy owners or sugar daddies who have the best interests of the club at heart being able to invest in the right way, through equity or a gift.

"That's just part of living the dream.

"So long as you avoid the plight of clubs such as Portsmouth with debts they cannot pay off, then you need to keep wealthy owners being able to finance clubs - it's the way many clubs have been financed for many, many years.

"If you kill the dream you stand a real chance of killing football however much it might be attractive in the short term."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8548227.stm

I think we need change, by the end of this season we'll have played Saints 6 times (lucky it was not 7 since they have no chance of being top 6) Its boring and needless. In fact the split as it stands is unfair, not only with the 3 away / 1 home scenario but if the league goes to goal difference, you could play all the bottom 6 teams at home twice, score a barrowload and win the league by a couple of goals.

My fear is that come the end of the season, or even mid way through it, there will be many meaningless games or ones where no-one shows an interest in.

Also, who is goof enough to step up to this division that can also meet the stadium criteria?

I really do hope this happens because only having 12 teams in a countries' premier league is a total joke. Scottish football will be much better off in the long run with a bigger premier league. The one problem I have with this though is that there might only be 10 teams in the first division, which again is a nonsense.

TBH though, I think this is just more hot air coming from the SPL. Every few years someone from the SFA or the SPL comes out with shite about making changes and more often than not it never happens. Smith at the SFA had all his big plans for a winter break that would actually have been a sensible idea for football in Scotland when you look at the amount of game call-offs in Jan & Feb this season, but what's happenned to that great idea for worthwhile change? Sweat FA!

I won't be holding my breath...

Please please please let it be true. 18 team division playing each team twice. Playing St Mirren pile 11 men behind the ball a million times a season does nothing for anybody. Some good teams in Division 1 right now who could enhanse our game in the long run. Dundee, Partick, Dunfermline etc etc...all more than good enough for the SPL. Right now it is boring as hell for everyone.

What was the reason for the league being cut in the first place? What has changed to make them think that it will be any better now?

As for setting up our own tv deal leading to expulsion, call their bluff, like we should have done the last time.

If the SPL was increased to 16 teams I think the standard of football would just get worse. The standard is already shite with most of the teams just now. More diddy teams with sheds for stadiums is not the answer. The quality of scottish players getting brought through youth academys must be the issue gettin addressed IMO. I think the split should get scrapped and also when the season starts and finishes should be changed, so more summer time football is played and then maybe the quality might improve.

The quality of football is poor in the SPL and the pressure on pretty much every club outside us and them is why; relegation. If half the league is contesting relegation most of the season then the teams are forced to play safe football, they'll play experienced journeymen rather than younger players and the quality of the league will continue to decrease. In terms of quality in the 1st division well certainly Hamilton last season and St Johnstone this one have shown there is little in it so no really worries there. Personally I'm all for playing each team 2 times a season, I disagree it would lead to more negative matches, in fact I think the opposite. With an expanded league the relegation pressure is lifted from more clubs and they can afford to be more expansive. We need to do something as the game is dying on its feet just now.

The quality of football is poor in the SPL and the pressure on pretty much every club outside us and them is why; relegation. If half the league is contesting relegation most of the season then the teams are forced to play safe football, they'll play experienced journeymen rather than younger players and the quality of the league will continue to decrease. In terms of quality in the 1st division well certainly Hamilton last season and St Johnstone this one have shown there is little in it so no really worries there. Personally I'm all for playing each team 2 times a season, I disagree it would lead to more negative matches, in fact I think the opposite. With an expanded league the relegation pressure is lifted from more clubs and they can afford to be more expansive. We need to do something as the game is dying on its feet just now.

The thing is but they still play journeymen now refusing to bring through better younger players unless you can kick fuck out of someone and take a hard tackle your not good enough for a lot of SPL clubs maybe a change is whats needed to boot them up the arse

This would be good but summer football is the only way forward IMHO.

:angsum:

What chance would we stand in Europe?

What chance do we stand in Europe just now?

Turkey's and Christmas, anyone?

I can't see provincial clubs like St Mirren, Falkirk, Aberdeen (:D), St Johnstone or the like voting in favour of losing an additional four (combined) home games to the Old Firm.

It just won't happen.

As for this demand that we make no individual TV deals........well, you can hear the collision coming from here already.

:sherlock:

I really do hope this happens because only having 12 teams in a countries' premier league is a total joke. Scottish football will be much better off in the long run with a bigger premier league. The one problem I have with this though is that there might only be 10 teams in the first division, which again is a nonsense.

TBH though, I think this is just more hot air coming from the SPL. Every few years someone from the SFA or the SPL comes out with shite about making changes and more often than not it never happens. Smith at the SFA had all his big plans for a winter break that would actually have been a sensible idea for football in Scotland when you look at the amount of game call-offs in Jan & Feb this season, but what's happenned to that great idea for worthwhile change? Sweat FA!

I won't be holding my breath...

The real reason for no winter break was the opposition from the tail that wags the spl dog where certain clubs said that they could not pay wages if there was no game income for a month.Shows a lack of financial planning; but what else could be expected from chairmen who wanted spl television and backed Setanta.

What was the reason for the league being cut in the first place? What has changed to make them think that it will be any better now?

As for setting up our own tv deal leading to expulsion, call their bluff, like we should have done the last time.

With you on this! The spl could not survive for 6 months without Rangers and Celtic fans bankrolling the majority of clubs with away game tickets.

As for the 18 team league; some of us are old enough to remember the meaningless games against the lower end of the league and the dire attendances in the last couple of months every season which lead to the revamps.

I agree that the current set-up needs changing and quickly because it's stale and repetitive,ie. Us verse St Mirren.

The problem is just how to change it for the better.There is no chance of another 6 teams being admitted to the SPL

because a lot of clubs that play in the 1st Division haven't got grounds that are up to the required capacity.There are others like Airdrie who have a stadium but no money and no support to sustain a place in the SPL.

The other option of admitting 4 clubs to give a 16 team league would only work if teams played each other 3 times a season for a total of 45 games as playing just home & away is too short with 30 games....The bean counters would be screaming like fuck over that scenario.It's ok to say it needs changing because it does for sure, but the next idea will have to turn out better than we already have otherwise it may as well stay the way it is, unfortunately.

As for Summer football, we play in the Summer here in Australia and it's got its advantages and drawbacks and needs to be looked at for the better of the game and not clubs self interest IMO.

I'd like to see a 16 team league though does the 11th place team in the SPL deserve a 2nd chance? I think the 1st Division should have a play-off ala Championship to replace the 2nd relegated team (be that the 15th or 11th placed team)

Old Firm 'surprised' at clubs' resignation

Published: 1:09PM BST 16 Apr 2002

RANGERS and Celtic have both expressed their "surprise and disappointment" at the decision of 10 other clubs to resign from the SPL.

A week after the Old Firm rejected the proposed SPL TV deal, the rest of the league proposed to resign from the SPL with two seasons' notice .

Both Rangers and Celtic claim progress had been made in reaching an agreement over TV deals, but the new development casts uncertainty over Scottish football.

"It was very surprising. We gave them an opportunity to continue the dialogue but they seemed very intent on this purpose," said Ian McLeod, Celtic chief executive.

"There has been much said about hidden agendas but I think the hidden agenda was revealed today.

"It's very disappointing the way events have turned out because we came here in good faith to have constructive dialogue on the way to take Scottish football forward."

John McClelland, Rangers vice-chairman, said: "We were surprised because the meeting had gone very, very well up until that point.

"I think it's fair to say they would like a different structure and I understand that, but I don't think the way it has been approached is the right way.

However, the 10 clubs have offered the Glasgow giants a lifeline by claiming the pair could join the newly-formed league when it is created for season 2004-05.

Both Celtic and Rangers have already intimated they wish to move away from Scotland, where they feel they are being stifled financially, but it appears the other clubs are determined to install a new league, which would employ a fairer voting system, such as that used in the English Premiership.

Many felt the 10 remaining clubs would not thrive financially without the Old Firm, but they have all insisted they are prepared to cut costs accordingly to prevent any future repeat of the 10-2 voting system.

Hearts chief executive Chris Robinson said: "Under any other competent business, the 10 clubs intimated to the chairman of the meeting that we had to give two years' notice of our resignation under the rules of the SPL.

"The reasons for that were simply that the clubs require to take control of their own destiny and future, and to operate under rules of fairness in terms of voting structure and distribution.

Although the offer to join the new league has been extended, Robinson admitted he did not know what the Old Firm teams would do.

"There is not an easy answer. We do not know what they will do but we know what we are doing and that is what is important," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/3026119/Old-Firm-surprised-at-clubs-resignation.html

This was our best chance to escape the sponging teams of the SPL but we needed strength from the top. I firmly believe that had we been cast adrift, we would have been given special dispensation to apply to join another asssociation.

An opportunity wasted.