Big Eck - How do you remember him?

GOAT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice guy, shite gaffer.

2-2 away to Livingston with Marvin Andrews upfront on a freezing cold wednesday night.

Thank fuck walter can defend.

When did that happen? No recollection of that whatsoever

I remember him as the guy who was a friend of neil simpson and who broke terry butchers leg.

thus stopping us from winning twelve in a row ....

so you don't like eck because he had no control over what his friend done ?

Nice guy, shite gaffer.

2-2 away to Livingston with Marvin Andrews upfront on a freezing cold wednesday night.

Thank fuck walter can defend.

he was a brilliant gaffer who won 7 trophy's in 5 years with little to no money.

During a time when we were attempting to stop haemorrhaging money he done very well. Due to our financial difficulties at the time 70% of his signings were loans or free transfers and only 5 times was he able to spend over a million pounds on a player.

He was only able to bring in the likes of Ostenstad; Emerson; Capucho; Vanoli; Alex Rae, guys who had experience of playing in big leagues and who you'd have hoped would have been able to do a job (clearly they didn't though). McLeish was working with his hands tied behind his back when it came to trying to bring players in due to the finances, and so is it any wonder we went through bad patches under him when these players were meant to replace Reyna; Kanchelskis; Numan; Caniggia; Amoruso; McCann; Arteta (still criminal how little we sold him for! shows how bad the money problems were); and the de Boers.

Yet he still managed in 4 and a half seasons (the half season of course already being beyond us when he joined) to deliver 2 league titles that will live long in the memories, 2 Scottish Cups and 3 League Cups. With a treble in there for good measure.

What McLeish done overall deserves to be lauded imo. He done a similar job to the one Walters doing now with less resources, so it's no surprise that some of the performances weren't as good as the stability of the ones under Smith.

The fact that he won so many trophies with the budget he had was amazing.

He had plenty of ups and plenty of downs but I will always remember him for winning 2 cups in his first 6 months in charge, winning the treble, Helicopter Sunday and making us the first Scottish club to progress to the last 16 of the CL!

Didn't he win the same amount of trophys as O'Neill during his time in charge ..... including a treble?

he sure did, O'neill was vastly overrated IMO, mostly because the time's he did win the league he won them by being miles infront, I remember Big eck as a successful manager who was always under pressure, the big man's a legend :praise:

He's supposed to be a big rangers man, any truth in this ??

Didn't he win the same amount of trophys as O'Neill during his time in charge ..... including a treble?

he sure did, O'neill was vastly overrated IMO, mostly because the time's he did win the league he won them by being miles infront, I remember Big eck as a successful manager who was always under pressure, the big man's a legend :praise:

He's supposed to be a big rangers man, any truth in this ??

big rangers man yes

Great servant for the club. Like all managers though, he made some mistakes.

Signed some really effective players on a tight budget such as Prso, Novo, Boyd, Andrews, Hemdani, A. Rae, Boumsong. And he spent his money quite well also. Selling Boumsong and buying Buffel, Kyrgiakos, Ferguson and Waterraus was very good business in my opinion.

He also gave us two great title wins and numerous cup wins.

There was low points though. 2003/2004 and 2005/2006 were bad seasons for us and to replace quality players with cheap, low-quality foreigners is unforgivable. Players like Bernard, Ostenstad, Capucho, Mladenovic, Maniero and Jeffers were terrible and dampened Eck's reputation. From selling Numan, Arteta, Ferguson etc and replacing them with the names above was awful.

Overall, I liked him as a manager but he stepped down at the right time.

A good bear, and, a true gent, performed miracles under the conditions murray gave him, and, got far too much abuse from the fans that in the main wasnt deserved. I will always have utmost respect for the man

(tu) I think he has unfinished business at Ibrox.