Big Eck - How do you remember him?

GOAT

helicopter sunday was amazing

vitoria zizkov was a nightmare

overall i liked the big man who managed the club he supported

and the livingston game we drew im sure he did throw marvin up front after they scored theyre 2nd

think we were 2-0 up at half time

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Eck as an honest, genuine Rangers fan who managed to get the chance to manage the team he loved.

He may not have been the best manager, nor had the best players at his disposal (considering his pre-desesor Advocaat has money to burn) so done well.

I still think he is a wee bit technically niaive therefore i fear for him getting above his stations down in england by going to the likes of liverpool, but only time will tell.

in general - well played to Big Eck!!!

He was no match at all to MO'N in OF games.

I'd like to see the stats on that. I'd disagree off the top off my head.

I don't have the stats but he led us to the longest run of defeats in OF history (including a clean sweep in 2003/04), we only won once at Parkhead during his whole time there compared to Celtic's four (I think) victories at Ibrox. O'Neill's Celtic teams always seemed to improve after half time, unlike McLeish's Rangers. We never beat Celtic comfortably, or thrashed them. If Strachan hadn't slowed down his team in November 2005 at 3-0, it could have been an absolute embarrassment.

That said, He always had great dignity as manager, and won every final. So I'm definitely not attacking him per sé, I just think he was an inferior manager to that obnoxious bòcan O'Neill.

His managerial career at Ibrox was very much swings and roundabouts. Really high moments and really low ones as well, as has been mentioned before. I think he is a genuine big guy who did really well in a difficult financial conditions. At least we can all thank him for a treble, helicopter Sunday and big Dado. As Rangers manager I'd give him 7/10 overall.

He's doing good work now at Birmingham and I'd love to see him and Barry win the FA Cup this year. And I read today that he's now been mentioned for the Liverpool job if Benitez goes in the summer so he's definitely making some kind of impression on some folk.

He was no match at all to MO'N in OF games.

I'd like to see the stats on that. I'd disagree off the top off my head.

I don't have the stats but he led us to the longest run of defeats in OF history (including a clean sweep in 2003/04), we only won once at Parkhead during his whole time there compared to Celtic's four (I think) victories at Ibrox. O'Neill's Celtic teams always seemed to improve after half time, unlike McLeish's Rangers. We never beat Celtic comfortably, or thrashed them. If Strachan hadn't slowed down his team in November 2005 at 3-0, it could have been an absolute embarrassment.

That said, He always had great dignity as manager, and won every final. So I'm definitely not attacking him per sé, I just think he was an inferior manager to that obnoxious bòcan O'Neill.

utter pish

can think of a few games that we did

2-0 november game, after beating them in the league cup

2-0 at the piggery, between wattereus and andrews, that mob could have played for days and not scored

3-1 ibrox, strachans first old firm game

hell even the 3-2 game at ibrox after sutton scored in 16 seconds was still airly comfortable if i remember correctly, we were 3-1 at half time and even though hartson scored, we always looked like scoring again

i have a lot of time for big eck.

did the job with dignity (unlike a certain counterpart across the city), delivered trophies, and we got some special memories along the way. Helicopter Sunday is something i will never forget - what a moment!!

his handling of the difficult cost cutting aspects was mixed, some of the players who graced the jersey were awful. i think he would probably admit that he learned a few things along the way and would do things differently now. Smith has handled the recent situation a lot better.

Eck was a very good Scotland manager too, and his current job is going really well.

i think with more stable resources he could have done even more for Gers. O'Neill is somehow put on a pedastal by the press down south even though at both Celtic and Villa he had plenty money to spend. Big Eck has a comparable record with a lot less resources and club stability (both Gers money woes and Brum's takeover/relegation woes).

Alex McLeish will be a manager whom I shall always hold in the highest regard.

He delivered us memorable results and several trophies.

Let us not forget that he had to sell his best players every Summer, and replace them with bosmans, and if any of them were good - he'd be lucky to keep them past January.

He won more trophys than O'Neill, in less time, with much less of a budget.

McLeish was a hero.

I remember him with one hand tied behind his back watching his squad being sold off and replaced with mince due to the fire sale.

His tactics would leave you scratching your head half the time.

He never had a bad word to say about the Rangers when I spoke to him briefly in a boozer, he just sounded like one of us.

Nice wee haul of trophies, last 16 and two title wins that will stick in the Tárriers craw for as long as I'll live.

I like Big Eck. Glad he's doing well down south.

utter pish

can think of a few games that we did

2-0 november game, after beating them in the league cup

I'll give you that one, against a nine-man Celtic though right enough.

2-0 at the piggery, between wattereus and andrews, that mob could have played for days and not scored

I disagree, we did nothing until Rab Douglas spooned the ball into the top corner, and at no point did we look on-top, really. Simlar to the Ehiogu game under Walter I think.

3-1 ibrox, strachans first old firm game

I'll give you this one as well, but in a way proves my point. We didn't go 3-0 up or 4-0 up. Celtic finished the game stronger and we needed a Prso dive to restore our two-goal advantage.

hell even the 3-2 game at ibrox after sutton scored in 16 seconds was still airly comfortable if i remember correctly, we were 3-1 at half time and even though hartson scored, we always looked like scoring again

I can't recall the game in detail after all these years, but we were winning 3-1 at half-time yet it was Celtic who scored in the second half and was something of a hanging-on job. The BBC match report says Celtic got their second goal "after a period of concerted pressure" and that "the final few minutes were frantic and Klos had to punch a Petrov corner away from Hartson". Hardly a cakewalk.

Just look at the games we've had under Walter; the Boyd/Adam 2-0 game, the 3-0 'showboat' game, the 2-4 game. McLeish never owned Celtic. He never really put them in their place.

Having got embroiled in this mini-debate, I wish to stress that I always liked his personality as Rangers manager, and always backed him. I'm no hater.

Cheers.

when you look back with hindsight he was a succesful manager no doubt about it.

but at the time i was never convinced he was rangers class, but now after seeing what he has done with Birmingham i recognise that he is one of the best british managers currently in the game.

we would be doing well to get someone of his class to take over after sir walter retires

Nice guy, shite gaffer.

2-2 away to Livingston with Marvin Andrews upfront on a freezing cold wednesday night.

Thank fuck walter can defend.

I remember that night for us being 2 nil up with about 20 min to go and ended up drawing after he took our 2 best players off. In the next couple of games he did the same again bringing off our best players when winning and ended up drawing. Those were low points but in the main 2 last day championships and all the other trophies were great times

I remember him bringing us the 4-3-3 which we ran a mock with. Then he ran out of ideas and we played some pish football towards the end of his time at rangers.

I remember him as the guy who was a friend of neil simpson and who broke terry butchers leg.

thus stopping us from winning twelve in a row ....

You're a tit.

Because i state facts u obviously dont agree with doesnt make

me a bad person .

Thought he done as well as he could have with us considering the financial situations and following on from Advocaat who spent all the money. Big Dado think the world of him and said he was a fantastic coach to work under. Great to see him doing well down south, wouldn't be surprised to see him at Liverpool if Rafa finally gets the boot. I'm sure their mob would love the nostalga of having a succesful Scottish manager again?

Miracle worker who led us to the two most enjoyable league wins I have ever experienced.

But finished third and had to go for that. Also led us through the worst run of results against celtc that I can remember.

As a man: Everything a Rangers manager should be, dignified, honest and composed no matter how good or bad the situation at the time.