Walter on our Captain's future

Boab

For all that he has done fur us i hope he doesnt, he is starting to get a big legless now. Making a few little mistakes now and then. Hopefully we win the league as sson as possible, give him a rest and then play him the last home game of the season, give him a big send off and let the man go back down south to his kids and wife.

He'll always be dominant in the air, but recently he's REALLY starting to show his age when the ball is on the deck.

I want to remember Weir as the hero that he's been, I don't want a mistake-strewn last year to be my final memory.

Call it a day this year Dave!

That's good news. He's been one of (if not the) best players for us this season. Even if he doesn't play every week, he will be useful to have both on and off the pitch.

One more year might be too far for him.

He wil not sign another contract to become back up for someone and play a bit part role and if I'm not mistaken his family still live in England?!

His time was up last season never mind another one, keep him as a coach but not as a first team regular? oh and how can walter no this when

we dont have a owner to offer deals to walter never mind davy?

Hiw can you possibly say his time was up last season when he been fantastic this season?

i think he should stay and not play as many games!! jst keep him there! help miby coach or something...

he has been one of our best player all season and id like him 2 retire at rangers! so if he aint ready give him another year

His time was up last season never mind another one, keep him as a coach but not as a first team regular? oh and how can walter no this when

we dont have a owner to offer deals to walter never mind davy?

Hiw can you possibly say his time was up last season when he been fantastic this season?

I think weir has been good but I also think Webster would have done just as good a job if not better, purely based on the fact that we have 9 games left and he looks dead on his feet and is starting to struggle! as IMO he done in the CL this year!

Walter Smith believes that his captain marvel Davie Weir could play on for another year - if he has the desire to do so.

The 39-year-old will become Rangers' oldest player ever when he faces Hamilton Accies at Ibrox tomorrow.

And Smith has no doubt that his experienced defender has the fitness levels to continue for another season.

David Weir and Walter SmithHe said: "Of course he could.

"I have always said that we have an agreement that we will sit down at the end of every season and see how each of us feels.

"I'll do that again this year but you always get the impression that if everything is going ok that he could do another year.

"But we will just have to wait and see."

Smith brought Weir to Rangers in January 2007 on a short-term deal until the end of the 2007/08 campaign.

Three years on, however, and the former Everton centre-half has picked up five winners medals to date.

Smith has been a hugely influential in Weir's career having taken him to Goodison and Ibrox.

And the Gers' gaffer admits that the defender will leave a big hole to fill when he decides to call it a day at Rangers.

He said: "Davie has been fantastic since he has come up here.

"When I asked him to join Rangers in the January of 2007 I thought he would leave at the end of the season.

"But he's been hanging about here for three years and his contribution to the success we have achieved so far has been fantastic.

"I have worked with great professionals and I have been really lucky but he's pushing them all in terms of being the best that I David Weir wins Player of the Month Award for Februaryhave worked with.

"If, or when, he leaves Rangers it will be extremely difficult for us to fill that position because his experience rubs off on everyone around him.

"It's hard for any manager to replace players that have been exceptional ones for them."

Smith is not surprised that Weir is currently taking his coaching badges and feels it's a natural step in his career.

He said: "I don't think there is any doubt that he is wanting to go in to coaching and management.

"The one thing about Davie is that he is such a nice fella and people think that is what he is.

"But he has a really good edge, a hardness, to him as well.

"You see it at times on the pitch so I think it's a natural step for him to go in to football management."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100402/weir-could-stay_2254024_2013229

weir is past it. He still has the footballing brain and is still good in the air but his lack of pace lets us down at times. I dont think he even should have stayed this year so definetly dont want him to stay on for another year. Leave on a high davie with another league winners medal in your pocket

I`m sure Big Davie is his own worst critic, the man is class and a more dignified man you will find hard to meet. Whatever happens, decisions will be made in the interests of the club not his own interests. Respect for the Captain. :praise:

As much as I have total respect for Davie and what he's done at our club, his time is up as a player.

Where the fuck is our ambition to remain the greatest when we are debating having a 40 year old CH and Captain?

Very well done Davie but time to leave with good memories mate - the club MUST move onwards and upwards.

As much as I have total respect for Davie and what he's done at our club, his time is up as a player.

Where the fuck is our ambition to remain the greatest when we are debating having a 40 year old CH and Captain?

Very well done Davie but time to leave with good memories mate - the club MUST move onwards and upwards.

(tu) but sadly i think walter smith will give him a new deal.

(tu) Would like to see him stay on in a coaching capacity right enough.

It would be great if he would stay on as a coach and mentor to the youngsters, but it's not likely to happen. Davie Weir has been a true great for Rangers, but he is slowing up, he will know that himself.

For the good of Rangers and our memories of you, thanks very much Davie - retire with grace :praise: