Post-split fixtures

I know we have had threads on this before, but it is perhaps worth another look with the title edging ever closer.

The SPL have indicated in the last week that they expect to be able to release the fixtures this weekend. Obviously if Hearts get at least a point at home to Kilmarnock on Saturday, the top and bottom 6 teams will be confirmed, and therefore the last remaining obstacle to the release of the fixtures will have been removed.

Or is it?

Due to the disgusting behaviour of Tims in 1999, the SPL have been forced to ensure that there is no title decider between the Old Firm ever again. This Celtic shame game also brought about the promise from the SPL not to play an OF game on a bank holiday weekend either, as both were seen as contributing factors to the shameful violence seen in Glasgow that weekend, and not by those celebrating a title victory either.

So we now know that the last OF game cannot be scheduled for the first game after the split, April 17, as it looks likely that fixture may well see the title race ended. We also know that the game cannot be played on May 1, as that is the bank holiday weekend. So that leaves either April 24, May 5 or May 9 as available dates to put in the OF game.

It is highly unlikely that the SPL will go for April 24 either, as if we lose either at Tannadice or on April 17, April 24 becomes the title clincher.

I would also see it as highly unlikely that the SPL will go for the OF game as the last fixture of the season on May 9, mainly as the TV schedules would not want to distract from what looks like a 3 way fight for the English title on what is also their last fixture list of the season.

So that leaves us with the only midweek fixture list post-split as the only viable date for the last OF game to take place. This means they can avoid us winning the title in an OF game, avoid the OF game on the bank holiday weekend, and give us a home game to end the season to be presented with our 53rd title.

I would also guess that we will play our only other home game on the first set of fixtures, to try to ensure we get the title out of the way early, and not build up any pressure on the OF game. There is precedence for this, as when Timmy was only 1 win from the title come the split, the SPL gave them their 3 remaining home games back to back to back straight after the split to ensure it was done and dusted without incident.

The other thing to take into account is our visit to Easter Road post-split. Due to Hibs redevelopment, only 800 (possibly 1300 TBC) Rangers fans will be at Easter Road for this match. Therefore I would hope the SPL take this into account and try to avoid this match being the title decider, as that would be extremely unfair to the Loyal Rangers fans who have followed the team in the largest numbers of any club, as usual, all season long. So this game should be scheduled for May 1.

I would hope that our club is writing to the SPL this week to ensure as much as possible that our fans are taken into consideration when deciding the fixtures. It is the very least we deserve for our loyal support all season.

I think you may be right with the OF game being scheduled for the last few games instead of the first few after the split.

Going to the piggery as champions would be awesome and the atmosphere would be out of this world!

As things stand at the moment this game will be played on the evening of Weds 5th May.

maybe you can elaborate how this works out, i would like to know the date of the game