Fleck back in training early

RFC55

John Fleck has revealed he has started back pre-season training weeks ahead of schedule in a bid to make a major impact at Rangers this season.

The 18-year-old has been back at a deserted Murray Park this summer, working on his own to help improve his fitness levels ahead of the new campaign.

Walter Smith’s players aren’t expected back for pre-season training until July 5 ahead of their trip to Australia and Fleck is so determined to hit the ground running that he is doing rigorous workouts on his own.

Fleck said: “I’ve been back up to Murray Park between a couple of breaks to work on my fitness levels and hopefully get myself ahead of the game.

“I want to give myself as good a chance as possible to impress and hopefully force my way into the team more this season.

“I have been doing some running around the complex as well as some gym work.

“There isn’t anyone around the place as most people are away on holiday and doing different things.

“You obviously have to have a rest and I’ll have another short break now before getting stuck back into it again.

“I’m sure most of the lads will be doing bits and pieces on their own anyway and you’ve got to look after yourself during the summer.

“We are always given instructions and things we can do to take away with us at the end of the season.

“But the more fitness work I can get under my belt this summer, the better condition I will be in for the start of pre-season training.

“I know it’s a big season for me and I want to give myself the best possible chance of doing well.

“I’ve now had a couple of seasons under my belt in the first-team and I’ve obviously made a number of appearances and played in some big matches, including the Old Firm, so I’ve now got a bit of experience behind me.

“But I want to be as successful as possible and put myself as strong a position as I possibly can for the beginning of the season.”

Like every young player, Fleck is desperate to make an impact and isn’t content to simply make up the numbers within the Rangers squad.

It is that attitude and determination, combined with natural ability, that has made his manager Walter Smith consistently refer to him as a huge talent and someone he believes will go on to become a top player for the Light Blues.

Although he has been in and around the first-team for a couple of years now, Fleck is still awaiting the opportunity to become a regular but the youngster appreciates it is easier said than done when you are coming through the ranks as a major club.

“I think people have to try and appreciate how difficult it is for a young player to break into the first-team at Rangers and stay in the team every week,” explained Fleck.

“The manager has always said, in regard to both myself and Danny Wilson, that there would be times when we’d be left out the team as he felt it would be in our best interests and that is what has happened.

“There is a massive pressure and expectation on the team to win every single game and win trophies and it was fantastic that we managed to win the SPL title and the League Cup last term.

“To be involved in that is a truly wonderful experience for the likes of myself.

“Like any player, I want to play as often as possible and I’m just looking forward to getting back into pre-season training, getting as fit as possible and then hopefully do my talking on the park and help the team build on last season’s success.”

The good news for Rangers is that Fleck has already committed his long-term future to the club having penned a new three-year deal towards the end of last term and he is thrilled at having his future resolved.

He said: “I was delighted to get everything sorted out in regard to my contract as it allows me to focus fully on my football.

“Talks were ongoing for quite some time, which is often the case, and there was some speculation at the time that I was perhaps looking to move on – nothing could have been further from the truth.

“It was always my intention to sign a new deal with Rangers.”

hail.gif

Good to hear shows he has the right attitude, I'd also hope when the season is under way he will also do extra training such as practising free kicks etc. Likes of Lampard are known for staying behind after training to work at their game, hopefully he will do the same and reap the rewards as others have done.

It's about time if you believe the stories that have come out before about him. His attitude was stinking the last couple of years. All the talk of him being the Scottish Rooney went to his head. Good to hear he's knuckling down.

he has a very good attitude.

although i have always said he was introduced way too early to the squad.

Rubbish...

If your good enough... your old enough

He was streets ahead of his age group...

So he had to be given a challenge

but he never did get a grip of first team games. being introduced that early in my opinion he lacked professionalism, maybe even maturity. he never did shine as much as everyone said he would.

he was made out to be a wonderkid, and i feel being introduced early tarnished this "reputation"

hopefully he will do the business this season, there are signs of him being a fantastic player. they just need to be developed a bit first.

It's about time if you believe the stories that have come out before about him. His attitude was stinking the last couple of years. All the talk of him being the Scottish Rooney went to his head. Good to hear he's knuckling down.

The only thing I can see that he has in common with Rooney is his appearance.

He seems to get dropped for months at a time right after good performances, which is odd.

Must be tough for him seeing players like Naismith play every week regardless of form.

i dont think he is as good as a play as people make him out to be maybe he will show it this season