First World Cup.

What was the first World Cup you can remember?

Who were the main players who stood out, favourite team, favourite game?

Mine was 98'.

The players that i always remember were Batistuta, Ariel Ortega, Christian Vieri and Ronaldo :drool: and will always remember Jim Leighton :anguish: Clearly for his fucking uglyness.

The game that i can remember for being one of the best was Argentina v England, probably becuase of the amount of times the English Media have shown that Owen goal since :sherlock:

Anyway what about you?

Italy 1990.

Toto Schillaci. Hardly had a cap before hand but scored a couple of cracking goals for Italy.

Claudio Cannigia running rings round I think it was Cameroon. Three guys kicked him in quick succession before he went down. Also lost his boot in the process.

Argentina finishing third in their group but still managed to make the final.

Scotland losing to Costa Rica.

Gazza crying!

1974. The Holland team were outstanding. Cruyff, Neeskens and Haan were going to lift the cup after outclassing Brazil until Paul Breitner and Der Bomber broke our hearts. :-(

Yugoslavia beat Zaire 9-0 while I was at Ayr on a BB trip.

A Zaire player got booked for charging out of the wall at a free kick and booting the ball away.

Poland came 3rd with a great team including Deyna and Boniek.

Scotland had mainly players from the top English clubs, especially Leeds and Manchester United. Harvey, Buchan, Bremner, Albiston and "six foot two, eyes are blue, big Jim Holton's after you", among others.

USA '94 was the first one I can really remember

Guys like Eric Wynalda, Earnie Stewart, Thomas Dooley for the US, and then greats like Hagi, Valderamma, and all the guys on that Brazilian team.

For some reason the one thing that stands out about that WC was the ridiculous opening ceremony where they ran Diana Ross out there and she attempted a penalty kick while singing :lol:

USA 94 and falling in love with Roberto Baggio after he dragged a mediocre Azzurri team to the Final and then ballooned his penalty over the bar

Baresi's performance in that final was unreal considering the circumstances.

98 - the opening game against Brazil, then getting pumped 3-0 off Morrocco.

Argentina bombing out England on penalties, Beckham's sending off in that game.

The Croatians getting to the semis.

France pumping Brazil 3-0 in the final.

Italia 90.

Argentina shocked in the opening game, Milla, Higuita, Goycochea the penalty saving legend, Zenga without conceding a goal till the defeat against Argentina in the quarters etc.

2002 World Cup, strangely the one thing I can remember clearly is Francesco Coco having his nose burst open or something <cr>

Then there was the shocking decisions that sent Italy and Spain out against the Koreans :angry: