John Utaka would like to play for the Gers

missing one thing...out and out wingers...i am sure that utaka and mphela could probably play wide, but they are strikers by trade so would seem strange that smith would go for all of them

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on sky sports as well

Portsmouth striker John Utaka has confirmed he would be interested in playing for SPL champions Rangers.

The 28-year-old Nigeria international is expected to leave Fratton Park this summer following the club's relegation to the Championship.

Utaka says he has options available but refused to state whether Gers had made their move for his services.

Walter Smith's side are playing UEFA Champions League football this season and Utaka is eager to play in Europe's premier club competition.

"I have a couple of offers now and I would love to play for Rangers in the Scottish League because it will give me the opportunity to showcase my talent in the Champions League," he told the Nigerian Tribune.

"It will give me the opportunity to show my detractors that I am not finished yet.

"Rangers is a good team that has won the title for the third time now, and I would love to associate myself with them."

JOHN UTAKA has pleaded with Rangers to bring him back into the big time.

The Nigeria striker wants Ibrox boss Walter Smith to end his Portsmouth hell.

Skint Pompey were relegated from the Premier League last season and are keen to offload Utaka even though he has a year left on his deal. Now the 28-year-old hopes to fill the void left at Ibrox by Kris Boyd.

He said: "I have a couple of offers now and I would love to play for Rangers.

"It will give me the opportunity to showcase my talent in the Champions League and that is watched by the whole world.

"It will also give me the chance to show my detractors I'm not finished yet.

"Rangers is a good team that has won the title again and I'd love to associate myself with them."

Utaka was linked with a move to Celtic in January and has continued to deny his salary at Fratton Park is as high as £80,000 a week.

Harry Redknapp paid £7million to take him to Pompey from French side Rennes in 2007.

Sunderland are also interested in Utaka, who can play wide or through the middle.

Meanwhile, Rangers will bag a £2.2million Euro cash bonanza if Celtic fail to overturn their 3-0 Braga deficit next week.

The SPL champs would land all of the Scottish share of the Champions League broadcasting rights.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3074912/Come-n-get-me-Walter.html

Living down here have seen him play a few times , he is V useful and a handful , deffo worth a punt wages allowing

Despite the fact that Utaka has 12 months on his current deal, Pompey are unlikely to ask for a substantial fee for the player. It is not clear if Rangers have made any contact with the English club but Sunderland are thought to have expressed an interest and Utaka has stated there is more than one club monitoring his situation.

STV

wages would be the prob but for the sake of a CL campaign he might be willing to sacrifice for a year

For those who like jelavic another story today

Blackburn Rovers are in a race against time to land Rapid Vienna striker Nikica Jelavic.

Rovers boss Sam Allardyce’s hands are tied in the transfer market while the club is the subject of takeover talks.

Rangers are believed to be looking to bring the forward to Glasgow but the Glasgow Herald claims they will have to substantially increase their offer leaving the way open to a rival bid.

The Ibrox club made an initial offer but the Austrian club are holding out for around £3.5 million.

The 24-year-old only has 12 months left on his contract, but Rapid are adamant that the player will only be sold on their terms.

You'd imagine that we've offered him something.

No way would he have plucked our name our the atmosphere for the sake of it.

I just get the feeling that this has been orchestrated by his agent. It's the silly season after all.

Wasn't he on ridiculous wages at one point?

Like £70000 a week?

which is why i can say here and now that he wont be at ibrox - as he wont take £17k per week if he is used to getting £70k per week. Even a loan deal, they'd want us to half wages with them, and £35k is still too high for us!

He was on around 25k-30k p/w

He was on £80k a week

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/10/portsmouth-wages-waste-of-money

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=742016&cc=5739

Yeah, he said he is not on £80k but nothing about £70k... end of the day, we dont know his wages, as they are condidentual but i cant see him being on £30k when other players at that club were on much more at the time.

They said he was on 1/3rd of what was reported