Gers face losing massive cash injection

RANGERS will land a £12million Champions League windfall after Celtic crashed out - but Ibrox boss Walter Smith won't see a penny of it.

Gers will pick up over £2m extra TV cash as Scotland's sole representatives, but Smith is resigned to Lloyds Banking Group taking that.

Lloyds are determined to claw back the Euro millions to help reduce Gers' crippling £31m debt.

Rangers won't get the UEFA cash until October, but under normal circumstances they'd have been able to raid the transfer market knowing the cash was coming.

But that has been blocked by Lloyds. The only way Smith will get any of the UEFA millions is if Gers make it through to the knockout phase. Smith would still hope for some cash if Gers dropped into the Europa League. They received a massive £11m from UEFA alone for their run to the 2008 UEFA Cup Final in Manchester.

An Ibrox insider said: "The management know that if the bank says it needs the money from the Champions League, they will get it.

"Getting all Scotland's cash entitlement from UEFA could give them a little bit of leeway if push came to shove.

"But if there's no European football after Christmas the money will definitely go to the bank."

Gers owner Sir David Murray has been trying to find a buyer for the SPL champions for over two years without success.

Smith, who has denied reports linking him with Dundee United's Craig Conway, admitted: "The money we have available would maybe bring in six players.

"But I'd prefer to bring in two or three at a better level and hope the younger boys in our squad help us out during the season.

"We've been trying to bring in new players, but so far we haven't been successful."

Gers still have funds to pursue Rapid Vienna star Nikica Jelavic, although the Austrian club want to keep the hitman for the Europa League play-offs against Aston Villa.

But Gers feel Rapid's asking price of £3.5m for a player who is out of contract next summer is too high and that may scupper the deal.

Gers currently have Honduran striker Georgie Welcome on trial at Ibrox.

But he is not allowed to play any games and Smith will have to decide on a deal based on his training stint at Murray Park.

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/scottish/scottish_sport/902032/Walter-Smith-is-resigned-to-bank-taking-Champions-League-dosh.html

Was just waiting for this type of negative story breaking. :rolleyes:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really negative. Says we have money to bring in 3 players of a decent quality. Take the positives from it.

This. If we still have money for 3 players and they take the 12 million then we'll significantly reduce the debt while bringin in players. Win win situation.

I never expected Smith to get any of it to be fair. Finish anywhere but 4th in the Champions League and it will look more rosey. Bringing in three quality players in to maintain our champions status, reduce our debt and blood some youngsters in will set us up nicely for next season we will have a manageable debt and a very competitive squad.

source... the news of the world. :lol: my wee cousin could write for them and you wouldn't notice anything different... he's 10.

has that rag ever got anything positive to say about us

Nope. I fully expect if we sign Jelavic the headlines will be either "Bigger clubs drop out to allow Gers to sign Croat hitman" or "Jelavic: The risky deal that could cripple Gers".

:rolleyes:

Thats a positve story if you ask me, we knew we were never going to get a mass of money to spend becasue we were in the champions league, the fact we defo have enough cash to bring in 3 players of decent quality and by that im assuming Smith is saying he wants 3 players that will improve the first eleven is good news in my book

Wasn't the debt nearer £20m rather than £31m ?

Probably. But reducing debt stories don't sell rhags.

(tu)

mhankies getting out of their hovels on a sunday morning, see a wee dig at rangers in the rhags... forget about declan and bernadette's breakfasts, the notw is the only purchase of the day!