SPL supremo will consider terrace return

Muck9

Article is on the ET site: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/spl-supremo-will-consider-terrace-return-1.1054033

SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster revealed he is “open-minded” about the prospect of reintroducing terracing to Scotland’s top-flight grounds.

Doncaster is midway through a strategic review of all aspects of the Scottish game, with his wide-ranging proposals set to be put to the 12 SPL clubs before the end of the year.

The move to all-seater stadia came as a result of recommendations made in the Taylor Report, published after the Hillsborough disaster in 1989 when 96 people lost their lives.

It was implemented in the Premier League in Scotland in 1994 and adopted by the SPL following its inception in 1998.

There has been a growing movement seeking the reintroduction of designated standing areas inside Scottish stadia, in the belief that a return to terracing would improve the often sterile atmosphere at matches.

Doncaster warned such a change may prove difficult to implement, but vowed to consider everything as he looks to find ways to improve the overall matchday experience for supporters.

“I’m open-minded about it,” he said as he launched the first SPL Family Weekend that will see a range of family activities taking place at games on September 18 and 19.

“I appreciate the logistical difficulties involved, having gone to all-seater stadia. It is a more fraught area in the UK, given our history and how we’ve built our stadia, than it is elsewhere in Europe.

“Generally these things are driven by supporter demand and it’s possible there could be sufficient demand to justify looking at it, although there are no plans to do so at the moment.”

The retention of standing terraces is one of the reasons the Bundesliga has enjoyed record attendances in recent seasons and Doncaster is keen to learn from the Germans.

“I’ve been over there and spoken to the Bundesliga,” he said.

“I’ve learned about how they conducted their review in 2000, the changes put in place, and the way they make sure youth development actually happens.

“If you look at the German system now, what you will see is a very close relationship between their equivalent of the SPL and the SFA, a huge investment in youth development, a real emphasis on coach education, and colt teams at under-23 level participating in lower leagues.

“It is all about ensuring that the next crop of German players comes through the system. And it works. It’s important we don’t waste this once-in-a-generation opportunity to do things better.”

There was nothing better than seeing on TV the enclosure boys twirling their scarfs, singing the Billy Boys and doing the bouncy. Young-uns on their Dads shoulders etc. I never got a chance to be part of it and thought i'd missed out for life, would love to be given that chance again!

I never stood in it, I was always in the Copland Rear but, as you say, the scarf twriling thing was some sight.

Control of the masses.

The principle reason why terracing won't return to top flight Scottish Football Grounds.

Rangers have done all they can to ensure every seat is monitored by the police and stewards during a game.

They are not going to relinquish that control and power under any circumstances.

Sadly it's a pipe dream in nanny state Scotland.

It could happen in Scotland but only for certain parts of the stadium. In Germany safe standing areas are turned into all seater stadiums for the Champions League so there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

If those areas where open to season ticket holders then clubs would still know who was in that area at the time. I'm all for it having seen the atmosphere at grounds in Germany as long as it's doesn't affect the safety of supporters which after the Ibrox Disaster and Hillsborough should always be paramount

This is exactly what ibrox needs.

Safety wise it shouldn't be that bad.

U cud have for talking sake gf2&cf3&the enclosures all made into terraces (I'm just plucking sections out the air for the sake of a point) but don't allow more ppl into the sections than there currently is, ie if one sitting section currently holds 1000 STH's fans let's say, if that section was to be changed into a terrace then only allow 1000 STH's back into that standing area. U still have enough control to know that no crushing is possible. 2nd point is only allow standing sections for STH's therefore if u don't have a smartcard then u can't get into the section, again reducing the 'crush' risk, as someone has said it's all about control for the club along with H&S guidelines.

I think standing terraces a fantastic idea (tu)

I love standing at away games, especially at the piggery

I remember at the villareal game I stood the whole game, think I was in the blue order for it so that would be why. but it was amazing, by far he best game iv'e ever been to. doubt it would have anywhere near as good if I was sitting most of the game. doubt this will ever happen but I mean were not even aloud a plastic bottle into the stadium, whats the chances of this happening :disappointment:

All he did was answer a question unfortunately, and he also stated it wasn't on the agenda.

Maybe someone should raise the agenda, sadly too many people think standing at football = Hillsborough...which we all know is false. Overcrowding = Hillsborough.

All he did was answer a question unfortunately, and he also stated it wasn't on the agenda.

Maybe someone should raise the agenda, sadly too many people think standing at football = Hillsborough...which we all know is false. Overcrowding = Hillsborough.

(tu)

Would this mean rebuilding the stands?

I don't think it's as easy as just removing the seats - would it not be too steep and unsafe for standing?

Aye, your right. It would be further re-development and cost. Can't see teams being able to afford it in this climate.

It would be excellent, but it won't happen for a number of reasons :disappointment:

Having being brought up in terraced grounds all over the country and watched packed games from the terracings - at times with over 100,000 people packed in - all I have to say is be thankful for all seater stadia.

The last thing I want to do is go backwards.

This is the viewpoint of an old Bear.

I understand others may differ from me but I am firmly for all seated stadia for reasons of comfort and safety.