The Papac

bluenose4life

IN the dressing room he's known as Casper.

But Sasa Papac insists he won't be spooked by his Rangers contract talks.

The Ibrox club's friendly ghost has eight months to run on his Ibrox deal and has hinted he wants to stay.

But the 30-year-old won't be haunted by negotiations in the coming months.

Papac said: "I'm not thinking about my contract - we have the SPL and the Champions League and we'll see what happens.

"Of course I'd be happy to stay - this is my fifth season, but I've learned that you never know what will happen in football.

"I'm in touch with the club and we'll need to see if we can find an agreement.

"Right now I'm not thinking about a move abroad or England but you never know what is round the corner.

"But I must say that I'm very happy in Glasgow. I'd never have imagined it would turn out so well here when I first arrived.

"This is the longest I've ever stayed at one club - normally after two or three years I move.

"I like being here and winning medals - this has been the best spell of my life.

"I'm not under pressure about a contract right now, it doesn't expire until May.

"I'm not thinking about the terms of my contract - we haven't spoken about money or the length of a new contract. That is for the future.

"All I can say is that my family are happy, my kids are happy at school and that's important. I feel good on the pitch because things are happy off the pitch."

Papac's manager Walter Smith has urged the Ibrox paymasters to give him the new deal he deserves.

Smith said: "I'd really hope we can get something sorted for Sasa.

"We're having discussions with a number of players who are out of contract at the end of the season. Sasa is the one player left from the Paul le Guen era and he has been terrific for us. He's a good lad and we're hopeful we can reach agreement.

Advertisement

"He's an unsung hero and been really consistent throughout my time at the club. He's adapted from being a central defender to a left-back and initially it wasn't an easy thing for him.

"But he's done it and done it extremely well."

Papac is in a similar situation to striker Kenny Miller.

The Scotland star is also out of contract at the end of the season and could soon be on his way OUT of Ibrox.

Papac would hate to see that.

He knows just how good Miller is for Rangers and reckons he could hit 20 goals this season - if he doesn't move on in January.

Papac added: "Kenny has been fantastic since we started back in pre-season and even with Boyd now gone we still have someone who can get us 20 goals a season.

"I think he can score at least that because he's in great form and experienced.

"I hope Kenny is with us for the season and nothing happens in January - he's important."

Vladimir Weiss has also shown his value to the Rangers side since signing on loan from Manchester City.

The little winger was terrific again against Dundee United on Saturday and looked like he'll be a big player at Ibrox.

Papac added: "Vlad is great - he can play against one, two or three players on his own because he has such speed. He's only been here for a few weeks but already he has shown he can be a key player for us this season with plenty of assists."

Rangers now face Dunfermline in the Co-op Cup tomorrow night with Smith contemplating how to rotate his squad. Papac added: "It will be tough - although maybe the manager will change some players.

"We don't have a big squad. A game every three days is hard for any squad so we'll see how we get on.

"Davie Weir though can play about 50, 60 games and this is unbelieveable. I sometimes need a rest and I'm in my 30's. There's no chance I'll be playing at 40!"

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3144372/Caspar-carrot.html#ixzz104Xc9016

I hope he is given his extention, only player from Le Guens era who was a sucsess!

The sort of player who I wouldn't be too bothered if he signed a new deal or left, however, with Ally McCoist taking over in the summer, our financial situation and needing a number of new additions come the summer, it would better if Papac signed a new deal. In an ideal world, we'd have a better left back (and right back). Not Papac's biggest of fans, but he does a job.

The sort of player who I wouldn't be too bothered if he signed a new deal or left, however, with Ally McCoist taking over in the summer, our financial situation and needing a number of new additions come the summer, it would better if Papac signed a new deal. In an ideal world, we'd have a better left back (and right back). Not Papac's biggest of fans, but he does a job.

I agree with all of that (tu)

Papac has been quite lucky, he's alright but I think he's ended up being a regular for us over five seasons due to a cominbation of finances and left backs being pretty hard to come by anyway.

I'd love to see us bring in a new left back next summer to replace Papac but there's so much uncertainty and who knows what we'll be able to afford in the transfer market, so for now it would probably be better for Papac to sign a new deal even if he was to end up being a squad player.