Barry Ferguson - Legend or Not

Great post Casey....

Yeah Manti I maybe shouldn't have said all time as I really wouldn't know but I think Weir is a good shout to have been a better captain than him.

In the last 20 to 30 years I would say, Greig would be my number one of all time tho.

My Rangers knowledge from round about the mid 70's is pretty good so I should have said that rather than all time, good post anyway m8.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said earlier, a lot of people need to realise that Barry Ferguson was the first successful captain that many posters on here ever saw. It's hardly surprising that they have taken a massive shine to him.

I thought he was a good captain, but when you compare him to the guy in my avatar then it's not even worth talking about.

Great post Casey....

Yeah Manti I maybe shouldn't have said all time as I really wouldn't know but I think Weir is a good shout to have been a better captain than him.

In the last 20 to 30 years I would say, Greig would be my number one of all time tho.

My Rangers knowledge from round about the mid 70's is pretty good so I should have said that rather than all time, good post anyway m8.

I have to agree that in the shorter time scale Greig would have it for me, but just a bawhair ahead of Gough.

The clincher is that Greig spent so long leading relatively poor teams, not really a problem that Gough had....

I have to agree that in the shorter time scale Greig would have it for me, but just a bawhair ahead of Gough.

The clincher is that Greig spent so long leading relatively poor teams, not really a problem that Gough had....

Greig also captained us to our only European trophy as well which has me leaning towards him more.

As I said earlier, a lot of people need to realise that Barry Ferguson was the first successful captain that many posters on here ever saw. It's hardly surprising that they have taken a massive shine to him

I thought he was a good captain, but when you compare him to the guy in my avatar then it's not even worth talking about.

Big thing for me also.

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't he is such a controversial figure

I think BD put it well that maybe hints on something else

50% of rangers fans dont like ferguson but 100% of celtic fans love neil lennon

I think Ferguson was a better player and man than lennon

That is weird, and yes Barry was miles better than the bin scrounger.

def a legend in my books

have to laugh when people say he was never a great midfielder, seem to remember him dominating the likes of Effenberg, dino baggio, michael ballack and the resty in the early advocaat days, he also single handedly at times dragged us through games and cup finals and was one of the star performers on the way to UEFA cup final

Also have a look at the facts when Barry was down at Blackburn and not just the mhedia/tims opinion. He won man of the match in the majority of games he played, he again dominated matches against some of the best midfielders in the world like Gerrard. Liverpool and Newcastle were wanting him before his injury and only reason he came home was because his wife couldn't settle and came home with his child leaving him alone down there. So as a good family man he done what was right for his family and came home.

Fair enough his 2nd spell wasn't as impressive as his first spell but there was many great performances from him and you have to remember that the team was getting stripped of talent round about him in the 2nd spell.

watching him in premiership just now just proves he is a very good player, he was Birminghams player of the season and in many pundits team of the year

Does john greig not get considered a legend as he was poor as a manager?

I think Big Lorenzo was a better captain than Ferguson. Ferguson was a good player but well short of 'Legend'.

Not a chance.

Mr Mistakes single handedly done us out of a last 16 spot in Europe against Monaco and captained our most expensive team to success.

Not a chance.

Mr Mistakes single handedly done us out of a last 16 spot in Europe against Monaco and captained our most expensive team to success.

Each to their own, Papa ,for another thread perhaps? I still stand by my opinion that Ferguson fell short of what he could or should have been, for a number of reasons.

edit ; bad punctuation.

Each to their own Papa,for another thread perhaps? I still stand by my opinion that Ferguson fell short of what he could or should have been, for a number of reasons.

Perhaps that would be a separate thread actually :pipe:

I loved big Amo, but I don't think he was a great captain in all honesty.

when you look back to the champions league games when we dominated Bayern home and away, Barry was right up there with anyone in midfield and what i would do to have him in our team just now playing to the standard of which he did in that era.

A lot of people have very short memories,fickle attitudes and still bear grudges he left when he did first time around.when he pulled on that shirt he gave his all. he played alot of games carrying injuries and jagged up because the pressure on him to play from the powers that be, says just how good he was in their eyes.

some may say he is not a legend but had he lifted the uefa cup alot of people would be changing their tune. everyone has their opinion mind you, i for one look back fondly at what he done at our(his)club.

legend :clap: