A repeat of last season... here's hoping!

Muff

Saturday 28th November 2009: Aberdeen 1 vs. 0 Rangers. Players look shattered, injuries, out of sorts, the attiude wasn't right, infighting, performances were not good enough...

Wednesday 10th November 2010: Rangers 0 vs. 3 Hibs. Taken apart, destroyed at home. Players not performing, struggling, looking dead on their feet, wrong attitude, although the results have been a lot better than at this stage last season...

Said it back then and although I have said it once or twice this season, maybe last night was the result that the players, management and supporters needed - a real boot up the bollocks?

After the defeat to Aberdeen, David Weir and Walter Smith spoke out. They didn't know why we were failing to turn up, putting in below average performances and said that they will go back to square one, sit down and work it out - no excuses, we will sort it out and lesson's have been learned. Walter Smith mixed it about a bit, the players responded and we played some fantastic football in December - we also went on a 24 match unbeaten run in the SPL, which won us the league title. Many said that the Aberdeen result was the turning point and I fully believe that.

Back to last night's performance and Walter Smith has taken some of the blame - 'I'm looking around and also at myself at the moment and I should maybe change the team a little bit more than I have been' - to me that say's that he is ready to freshen it up and bit, which can only be a good thing. Images of last season.

David Weir has also had his say - 'We learned a lesson against Hibs, and it is vital we respond in the correct manner against Aberdeen. It is disappointing losing 3-0 at home. It is a big blow. If you look for an excuse you will find one, but tiredness was not a problem. We just did not play well enough. If you look at our last couple of games, the performances have not been good enough'.

Different season's, same talk - here's hoping that they do respond to recent performances and results, starting on Saturday. The league is hotting up, the pressure is on, time for us to respond like true Champions.

I also like this quote from our captain, and I hope a few on here take heid - 'celtc losing doesn’t help us, we must look at ourselves. What happens in other places doesn’t affect us'. Spot on. I see some were sweeping last night's result under the carpet as a result of celtc getting beat. They don't hand us the title, we have to go out there and fight for it.

Well said, yesterday had been a long time coming, and this team has too much solid leadership to let them slip 3 times in a row in the league I hope

We did manage to beat St. Mirren last weekend, but the 1st half performance was a shocker.

Inverness and Valencia should have been the 'boot up the arse' and they weren't.

Last season is different in the sense that we never really started doing well until after the Aberdeen defeat, it may have been our first loss but we drew several games and got beaten badly in Europe. This season we've had a brilliant start but been shite since we won at Celtic Park, so getting too carried away could be a factor.

No win on Saturday and serious questions need to be asked.

Thanks for posting Muff. Good points and Walter looking in the mirror and Big Davie as well tells some something I wanted to hear.

Last December, we were fantastic and basically won the title then (well, with Mo's last minute winner vs celtcl). So here's hoping.

Cheers. (tu)

Excellent post. (tu)

Hopefully the team will respond positively on Saturday, it will be a true test of character. The recent performances have shown us that we cannot take teams for granted and assume wins, we need to actually go out there with the right mentality in every game to win.

We need to be showing willingness to win every game from the start, because recently performances in the first half of games have been sub-standard.

Its got fuck all to do with what Celtic do, its what we do that matters and how we respond in a Champions-like manner.

Muff your OP is why I didn't think we need(ed) to panic - Walter has been there before and turned it around - I remember once during the 9 in a row days we got beat 0 - 3 by Dundee United at Ibrox. In fact 3 down by half time and fans were fighting in the toilets as to whether Walter should stay or go - and I think that was on the back of a long undefeated run at Ibrox and we went on to win the League. Not much changes and shit happens in football but GREAT managers (like Walter) turn the ship around.

I wonder in Lemmon has the same capacity when the chips are down (and I suspect not as he has the blame game culture - even when winning).

Great managers are the ones with the ability to turn things when the going gets tough - every club has these issues - Man ure, Liverpool, etc. but the great managers get back to winning.

Walter hasn't hidden, Walter has not avoided the issue and Walter has the experience to turn this again. Its what he does.

I don't think we will see a convincing win - we are not going to absolutely batter Aberdeen and put 4, 5 or 6 past them, well IMO.

In a way they are in the same situation as Hibs were before coming to Ibrox, maybe even worse - on a losing run, playing dreadful football, nothing to lose, manager fighting for his job, playing their rivals away from home, and we all know how Aberdeen play against us. Their record at Ibrox maybe poor, but we all know what they will bring, and if we are not prepared, organised, committed, and start off brightly, carrying it on for the majority of the game, then we will struggle. We cannot allow them to settle, if they score the first goal then the crowd get's on the players backs, they become nervous and we will struggle.

Time will tell if...

Well said Muff.

Footballers are just human, it sometimes takes a defeat for them to sharpen up again. Much like any workplace, you can get away with doing 'just enough' for so long before you're caught out.

I thought we started this season well and in about 90% of the games where we fell behind, I still felt as if we were the better side and always merited coming back for the win, but it wasn't the case last night.

Central midfield really needs freshened up though.

I certainly hope so. Playing the Champions League games and the SPL is tough with a small squad but its no excuse for the performance last night. If we can keep in front of the Tims until the Champions League campaign ends then it will set us up for the rest of the season.

We traditionally hit a bit of form between December and March and leave other teams in our wake so lets hope so

Good response, for periods of the 1st half we were excellent and on another day it could have easily been 5 or 6...

Our first midweek without a game, a well earned rest and hopefully we can get a few player back for the game against Killie, which will not be easy. Another 12pm kick-off so it will be interesting to see how the team starts and perform's!?

Yet again we enter another grueling list of fixtures:

Saturday - Killie away

Wednesday - Manchester United home

Sunday - Dundee United away

Saturday 4th December - Hearts home

Tuesday 7th - Bursaspor away

Saturday 11th - Inverness away

At least after the Bursaspor game there won't be a midweek game for sometime. The league is starting to hot up, it's time we found the form to put together a winning run and with a bit of luck our injury list will clear up.

Forget Tannadice, we have a big game at Rugby Park on Saturday - they are no mugs, they have been playing some decent football and getting some good results...

True.

Hopefully, we'll have a few back from injury and if not, then those who are given the chance need to step up and prove themselves. I'd love to see Wylde get a chance against Killie - not so much a start, but enough time for him to torment their full back and make his presence known. He looks like a fantastic prospect. An old fashioned winger, if you like.