Bougherra out for three weeks....

Frankie

Rangers were today dealt another injury hammer blow with the news Madjid Bougherra faces three weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring strain.

The influential Algerian defender will now miss the crunch Champions League clash against Manchester United next Wednesday night at Ibrox.

He is also set to sit out crucial SPL matches against Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Hearts – and looks almost certain to miss Gers final Champions League clash against Bursaspor in Turkey on December 7.

Bougherra travelled to Luxembourg on Sunday to join up with the Algeria squad for a friendly after playing in last weekend’s 2-0 win over Aberdeen

However, he felt a problem in his hamstring and went for an MRI scan. A strain was discovered, and he will now go for further tests on returning to Glasgow. But the timescale is being set at around three weeks.

Rangers boss Walter Smith may have to hand injury-prone defender Andy Webster his chance now at a crucial stage of the season, although he will have to prove he is fit enough to play.

Maurice Edu is already out for at least the next two weeks with a knee problem, while Nikica Jelavic and James Beattie are long-term absentees.

Kyle Lafferty, Sasa Papac, Steven Naismith and Kirk Broadfoot are also nursing knocks and will need to be assessed before this weekend’s trip to Rugby Park.

But the loss of Bougherra is a massive blow with huge matches domestically and in Europe looming.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/madjid-bougherra-sidelined-for-three-weeks-1.1069311

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers were today dealt another injury hammer blow with the news Madjid Bougherra faces three weeks on the sidelines with a hamstring strain.

The influential Algerian defender will now miss the crunch Champions League clash against Manchester United next Wednesday night at Ibrox.

He is also set to sit out crucial SPL matches against Kilmarnock, Dundee United and Hearts – and looks almost certain to miss Gers final Champions League clash against Bursaspor in Turkey on December 7.

Bougherra travelled to Luxembourg on Sunday to join up with the Algeria squad for a friendly after playing in last weekend’s 2-0 win over Aberdeen

However, he felt a problem in his hamstring and went for an MRI scan. A strain was discovered, and he will now go for further tests on returning to Glasgow. But the timescale is being set at around three weeks.

Rangers boss Walter Smith may have to hand injury-prone defender Andy Webster his chance now at a crucial stage of the season, although he will have to prove he is fit enough to play.

Maurice Edu is already out for at least the next two weeks with a knee problem, while Nikica Jelavic and James Beattie are long-term absentees.

Kyle Lafferty, Sasa Papac, Steven Naismith and Kirk Broadfoot are also nursing knocks and will need to be assessed before this weekend’s trip to Rugby Park.

But the loss of Bougherra is a massive blow with huge matches domestically and in Europe looming.

According to the Evening Times - http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/madjid-bougherra-sidelined-for-three-weeks-1.1069311

What is it with us and injuries? Said it all through the summer, a centre back should have been brought in.

Look's like we are now going to have to go with Lee McCulloch and David Weir :anguish:

If Webster doesn't fill in for Bougherra, 100% fit or not, he should be frogmarched up Edmiston Drive, along Helen Street and down towards the River Clyde, where he should be unceremoniously dumped on his lazy arse into the dark brown waters.

Oh - and for what it's worth - I hope we have a bid for Bougherra tabled by someone (anyone) in the January window.

I'm not sure his heart is in it for The Rangers.

Much like Webster's...........apparently.

:disappointment:

If Webster doesn't fill in for Bougherra, 100% fit or not, he should be frogmarched up Edmiston Drive, along Helen Street and down towards the River Clyde, where he should be unceremoniously dumped on his lazy arse into the dark brown waters.

Oh - and for what it's worth - I hope we have a bid for

Bougherra tabled by someone (anyone) in the January window.

I'm not sure his heart is in it for The Rangers.

Much like Webster's...........apparently.

:disappointment:

I don't really understand the logic there, we don't have enough cover as it is and you want to sell our best defender half way thru a season?

who do you suggest who has the strength, match fitness and experience Big Jig has?

Foster - Weir - Papac - Whittaker

Foster/Whittaker - Perry - Weir - Papac

Don't know what's going on with Andy Webster, but he's a shitebag, so he'll probably still be injured/bottling it, and there has been no update on Kirk Broadfoot's injury...

Not the players fault some of them don't have the match fitness, and tbh, McCulloch has been shit for weeks (decent 1st half v Aberdeen). Experience - didn't stop Danny Wilson coming in and doing a fine job, and when he wanted to leave, some said Perry was a better player anyway :rolleyes:

with no edu, if big lee goes to cb for the man united game, we have no real defensive midfielders, Hutton maybe?

Also my dad pointed out to me in the second half that boogie was holding his hamstring, i watched him do this on numerous occasions, why was he not taken off there and then? I think he played about half an hour after i saw him pull up.

if hes out for wed i can see this back 5 against man.utd foster weir papac broadfoot whittaker.

Same.

I forgot all about the Man United game. Think we can kiss that game goodbye, as we needed players like Bougherra in there and playing well to have a decent chance - in my opinion.

Same.

I forgot all about the Man United game. Think we can kiss that game goodbye, as we needed players like Bougherra in there and playing well to have a decent chance - in my opinion.

We've grinded out results before when we have been knocked down, and we will continue to do so... Anyway, I'm more worried about the three important SPL games he will miss, and possibly more!?

I don't see us reaching the last 16 of the Champions League so I'd rather we crashed out of Europe altogether. Europa League will just get in our way.