Ricky Foster

Broxi

Ricky Foster is starting to talk more and more like a Rangers player every week. His initial interviews when he signed on loan from Aberdeen seemed tentative, like he didn't believe himself that this was real, but now he is talking like someone who believes in the club and his teammates.

Speaking to the Sunday Mail, Foster said today that he is not afraid of being paired with anyone in the impending Europa League after Christmas, "Regardless of who we get in the Europa League I don't think we will fear them. We showed in our home games that we can compete with the top teams."

His experiences of playing in the Champions League with the mighty Rangers have left a lasting impression on the youngster, "United and Valencia will probably go a long way in the Champions League. I hope we can do the same in the Europa League."

Foster continued, "If it turns out I need to go back to Pittodrie next year I'll be happy with what I've had at Rangers. I've played against Manchester United and enjoyed it. Looking beyond that, I'm just taking it week to week. Rangers are expected to win every game - that's different from Aberdeen.

"I jumped at the chance to come down here. I was never going to turn it down. It was about having nights like the United game.

Despite the fact he is still contracted to Aberdeen, Foster proved that he is hungry to win medals with Rangers during his time here, even if his whirlwind romance with the club ends at the end of the season, "Rangers have won the league in the past two seasons and I want to get some medals. Being here will give me a great chance to do that."

Playing against the likes of Manchester United is the kind of thing that only happens in pre-season or testamonials for players contracted to Aberdeen, so playing in arguably the largest cup competition in the world was a real step up, no matter the result, "We played quite well in midweek and it was just disappointing to lose to a penalty in the last five minutes.

"United are exceptional. You watch them every weekend in the Premiership. Nani just doesn't stop moving, he never stands still. It's difficult to mark him. He's fit, quick and has incredible movement. If you switch off for a few seconds he's in behind you.

"United's players are all assured on the ball. They have a great first touch, a terrific range of passing and exceptional movement. You can match them over one game but it's so difficult to keep concentration for 90 minutes. We made one mistake and that cost us."

good on the lad sounds like he's loving his time at the gers

I would like to see him get a run of games. Whittaker has been out of sorts this season and although I have only seen Foster play against Hamilton, Valenica and Manchester United he has impressed. OK, the Hamilton game he was very nervous but that happens and it didn't cost us.

His performance against Valencia was excellent and he could of won it in the end, given a little more composure. He wasn't as good against United but he looked very lively and still played well.

Good pace, good defender and links up well.

I'm going to feel sorry for him if he does go back to Aberdeen next season.

He'll have an SPL Winners medal, a Scottish Cup medal, a League Cup medal and a Europa League medal, but could be playing in the Irn Bru First Division in 2011/12 :disappointment:

I'm going to feel sorry for him if he does go back to Aberdeen next season.

He'll have an SPL Winners medal, a Scottish Cup medal, a League Cup medal and a Europa League medal, but could be playing in the Irn Bru First Division in 2011/12 :disappointment:

Forgot that he's cuptied

I think he's an awful defender personally.

Very fit, great athlete, very fast, but he's nowhere near as good a right back as Whittaker.

So that makes him one of the worst right backs that have ever pulled on a Blue shirt at Ibrox, because Whittaker is pure fucking mince as a defender. :anguish:

I think he's an awful defender personally.

Very fit, great athlete, very fast, but he's nowhere near as good a right back as Whittaker.

whittaker imo is not as good as broadfoot at rb in fact i dont particularly rate whittaker anywhere on the pitch i admit he can at times look the part going forward but as a defender hes not for me.think we look stronger at the back with broadfoot. just an opinion

Papac isn't going to be around forever, we could be looking at Whittaker in the right back position and Foster in the left back position in the future, that to me wouldn't be too bad a combination.

I do find it quite amusing that as soon as the story broke that we were signing him on loan from Aberdeen he was getting slated from day one, and in all honesty his first appearance for us he didn't exactly crown himself in glory, but he was thrown in at the deep end and hadn't really trained with the squad at that time.

Now that he has been training with the whole squad properly, his performances against Man U and Valencia has shown he is more than capable of putting in a good shift for us, and it just goes to show you don't have to necessary come from a large club for millions of pounds to eventually make a mark for yourself.

Sorry but the guy is an Aberdeen reserve for a reason.Yes he has bags of pace but his defending against Killie and United was shocking at times.

The amount of times he gets caught watching the ball and not the man is unreal and i recall Eremenko actually pointing inside him for the pass and Foster still got caught out.

Good cover to have purely because his pace gets him back if he does get caught out but sorry he is not and never will be of the class i want to see in the Rangers First team.

And that is nothing aagainst the lad who talks well and respectfully of the Rangers so in that respect i have time for him bit not as a permanent first team player.

It was always going to be hard for Whittaker this season, trying to follow on from last (11 or 12 goals?) I really can't remember a RB scoring so many in a season. Granted his defending wasn't the best at times but if a full back is scoring that many goals, something has to give. As we lacked any really quality out wide, it was exactly what we needed last year and was probably worth the sacrifice.

If we are going to build on a solid defence going forward, we probably need somebody different. I'd be happy to take a better look at Foster and see what he has and I have no doubt he will improve at Ibrox.