Walter Smith

gsa

While I agree that overall Walter has done well since he has been back at the club, my memory of this period in Rangers histroy will be the type of dispaly we seen today. Time and time again over the last few years I have looked forward to watching the football at the weekend only to have to endure that rubbish (even in games where we win). Players who cannot pass or control the ball, players played out of position, no pace or athleticism and negative tactics.

Walter is very lucky celtic are pathetic at the moment.

And please don't anyone come up with the famous walter "no resources" excuse (which I have no doubt he will treat us to in the coming days to deflect attention from this performance) there are teams all over the world who have less resources than rangers and they still manage to play semi decent football.

Muff actually posted an article on here last year when we were starting slowly in games, albeit we weren't THIS bad.

Pretty sure Smith said that he's tried to fix it and simply couldn't. Which is hugely worrying.

I love Walter Smith and I'm extremely greatful we have him but I couldn't agree more really.

The actual quality of football we have been playing is not what I'll remember about Walter's 2nd spell in charge. In general it has been shocking.

I'll remember the fact he's done a job no one else could have and the titles and cups he's won.

While I agree that overall Walter has done well since he has been back at the club, my memory of this period in Rangers histroy will be the type of dispaly we seen today. Time and time again over the last few years I have looked forward to watching the football at the weekend only to have to endure that rubbish (even in games where we win). Players who cannot pass or control the ball, players played out of position, no pace or athleticism and negative tactics.

Walter is very lucky celtic are pathetic at the moment.

And please don't anyone come up with the famous walter "no resources" excuse (which I have no doubt he will treat us to in the coming days to deflect attention from this performance) there are teams all over the world who have less resources than rangers and they still manage to play semi decent football.

Can't argue with most of that. I too have been looking forward to this game all week. What a let down

Substance over style any day for me

Yeah because it is a straight choice isn't it? You could never have both could you? I mean it would be totally mental to try and play with style and substance and then maybe find a balance along the way.

We play in a league where we can spend 10 x more than any other team (celtic aside), there is no excuse for having to play such woeful football.

Is the type of substance you are talking about the substane that got us beat by Kaunus? Or that saw us in recent weeks lose 3 goals to hibs and valencia and draw today with Inverness.

It just shows you the influence Smith has when people start to spout nonsense like substance over style as a way of excusing £10,000 players who cannot pass a football.

I could understand the need for the rigid, akward, regimented football that we played when he first came back because the entire club was on a lull from bottom to top and it needed that solidarity but i sturggle to see the need for it now.

Yes, we are dogged, determined and excellent at coming back and that is a mark of champions, but at other times we look like we are scared to go and impose ourselves on a game and as champions that something that we should be doing every week.

If I watched almost any domestic game that we play in I wouldn't think we are the champions because most of the time we lack that swagger and style in our play that should have developed from winning back to back titles.

We are better than every team in this league, but at times it seems that Smith ants us to sink to the other drosses level and slug it out with them rather than go out there and show them why we are the better side.

I actually couldn't agree more.

+1.

I almost have to force myself to watch Rangers matches that aren't OF or European these days. Fair enough, we've always been in a weak league with small clubs but the fact that we can't even play basic pass and move football makes our games closer to torture than entertaiment.

Yeah because it is a straight choice isn't it? You could never have both could you? I mean it would be totally mental to try and play with style and substance and then maybe find a balance along the way.

We play in a league where we can spend 10 x more than any other team (celtic aside), there is no excuse for having to play such woeful football.

Is the type of substance you are talking about the substane that got us beat by Kaunus? Or that saw us in recent weeks lose 3 goals to hibs and valencia and draw today with Inverness.

It just shows you the influence Smith has when people start to spout nonsense like substance over style as a way of excusing £10,000 players who cannot pass a football.

In the 2nd half today our football wasnt woeful

If your case against Smith having substance includes an away loss to Valencia, and a game from 2.5 years ago, Ill sleep easy tonight knowing he is still in charge (tu)

As much as i appreciate Walter's work, he's clearly off at the end of the season and I hope Ally brings from fresh ideas of his own into the mix rather than just trying to replicate his boss.

what worries me about ally's coaching is , he's been 1st team coach for 4 years and in all that time we've never worked out a set piece , watch us at corners , freekicks,even throw ins, we are absolutely hopeless. considering this is a major part of football nowadays what are they doing at murray park 5 days a week

In the 2nd half today our football wasnt woeful

If your case against Smith having substance includes an away loss to Valencia, and a game from 2.5 years ago, Ill sleep easy tonight knowing he is still in charge (tu)

Mate you gave up your right to comment on anything football related with your substance over style comment. You are one on those (very common) spl fans who need to lift their horizons and watch some proper football.

Anyone who is not a idiot knows decent football teams mix style and substance but clearly "sir walter" has concinced you and many others this is not possible.

Mate you gave up your right to comment on anything football related with substance over style comment(tu).

You are one on those (very common) spl fans who need to lift their horizons and watch some proper football(tu).

Anyone who is not a idiot knows decent football team mix style and substance but clearly "sir walter2 has concinced you and many others this is not possible.

:lol: :lol:

You've reminded me why you were on ignore

I can't wait for a change in management, for a few reasons, although I hope it's not McCoist.

We are too cautious, rely on celtc dropping points, can't do the basics at times, are dreadful to watch, have no plan b, struggle for long periods of games, cannot deliver a final ball, we still lack creativity, width and pace... I'm bored of watching us struggle in so many SPL games, the football is shit.

Walter Smith has done a good job, but it's time for a change. Sadly, some will accept anything, and a poor celtc team is their benchmark.

I can't wait for a change in management, for a few reasons, although I hope it's not McCoist.

We are too cautious, rely on celtc dropping points, can't do the basics at times, are dreadful to watch, have no plan b, struggle for long periods of games, cannot deliver a final ball, we still lack creativity, width and pace... I'm bored of watching us struggle in so many SPL games, the football is shit.

Walter Smith has done a good job, but it's time for a change. Sadly, some will accept anything, and a poor celtc team is their benchmark.

Jungle Fighter i love your posts as you tell it as you see it and dont care who you upset. (tu)