Play off for the title.

PaulRFC1

They do this in oz, my team finished top of the league but some 6 points and we lost the grand final. Our only loss all season! We ended up with hee haw. Fuck that! The team who tops th table should be champs as they are over the course of the season the best.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ridiculous,the gap between second and third is usually big so they don't deserve a chance at the title anyway.

Far from improving our game it would make it even more of a laughing stock,finish top of the league and you're champions.

DJW1992 I'm sure if we finished 30 points clear of Dundee Hibernian and they ended up champions and representing Scotland in the Champions League your viewpoint would change significantly.

Rangers first,what's best for the Scottish game comes a long way behind ;)

Ridiculous,the gap between second and third is usually big so they don't deserve a chance at the title anyway.

Far from improving our game it would make it even more of a laughing stock,finish top of the league and you're champions.

DJW1992 I'm sure if we finished 30 points clear of Dundee Hibernian and they ended up champions and representing Scotland in the Champions League your viewpoint would change significantly.

Rangers first,what's best for the Scottish game comes a long way behind ;)

Bombay thats a good point, the co efficient is bad enough imagine it was Dundee hibernian, Man u, Vlaencia and Bursa in a group :disappointment:

Bombay thats a good point, the co efficient is bad enough imagine it was Dundee hibernian, Man u, Vlaencia and Bursa in a group :disappointment:

I know what djw is trying to get at but it's like turkey's voting for Christmas,all that hard slog over the season to be pipped by a team that's just 'done enough' to finish 3rd or 4th.

The European thing would be an absolute disaster,I think they all got together for a chat and someone put dope in their tea like in Ali G's film and this is how they've came up with this ridiculous idea.

I'm not saying we wouldn't win the league under this set up,other teams should simply not be given the chance to win a title on these terms.

Its not that bad an idea and not much different from the championship play offs where Blackpool i think finished 6th and were promoted and everyone seems to think thats a great system and love it !

But they have 2 automatic promotion places which Newcastle and WBA took. Then 3rd to 6th is the play offs. Imagine Newcastle who nearly broke the points record in the championship never went up :anguish:

I know what djw is trying to get at but it's like turkey's voting for Christmas,all that hard slog over the season to be pipped by a team that's just 'done enough' to finish 3rd or 4th.

The European thing be an absolute disaster,I think they all got together for a chat and someone put dope in their tea like in Ali G's film and this is how they've came up with this ridiculous idea.

As i said before mate the lesser teams in this leauge are a joke. Us the taigs and Aberdeen warned them about taking Setanta and they never listened. It will be the same brainstorming bullshite without actually thinking it through

As i said before mate the lesser teams in this leauge are a joke. Us the taigs and Aberdeen warned them about taking Setanta and they never listened. It will be the same brainstorming bullshite without actually thinking it through

Aye that's very true,they've got nothing better to do as they'll never get a sniff at the title.

It's like us going to UEFA and asking if the third placed teams in the Champions League can get a shot at the semi-finals to make it more exciting.

You want something you have to earn it.

BBB, as a Rangers fan, it probably would, not gonna lie. But, as I've said, I would back a fired up Rangers against anyone else in the league, so I don't think it would come to that. Besides, in the event that a Dundee United type team do cause a shock, and end up qualifying for the Champions League, would it really be that bad a thing for Scottish football?

I'm taking my Rangers hat off for a second here; Scottish football could really use a third power. Portugal, Holland, and Greece all have at least 3 teams in with a shout at any given time. If, say, Hearts qualified for the group stages, and suddenly had £20m to invest, then they could attract better players, play better football, and encourage more fans to come along. Then, all of a sudden, the SPL can get a better TV deal. I still think that, for the majority of the time, it would be either ourselves or Celtic winning it, but it would be massive for Scottish football if one of the 'wee teams' were to receive such a bounty.

Again mate i will give you if Hearts do this and invest the £20million then it would mean that hearts would then be reliant on the UCL money every year and more teams would struggle :craphead:

Aye that's very true,they've got nothing better to do as they'll never get a sniff at the title.

It's like us going to UEFA and asking if the third placed teams in the Champions League can get a shot at the semi-finals to make it more exciting.

You want something you have to earn it.

hahaha or Zilina saying, our group was solid, can we get a bye to the final next time cheers

Depends, I guess. If they're sensible, then they'll invest in some good quality youngsters; if not then they'll spend beyond their means, and go bust. I'll grant you this: gambling on the powers that be at SPL clubs to think sensibly for the long term is pretty risky :pipe:

I like alot of the stuff you post, regarding changes etc mate but i just dont see how Rangers or any other team would deserve to win a title from a position other than 1st.

If we had a stinker and were split by Hearts again, i would find it embarrasing to win the leauge in that manner, altho timmys implosion would be excellent viewing

BBB, as a Rangers fan, it probably would, not gonna lie. But, as I've said, I would back a fired up Rangers against anyone else in the league, so I don't think it would come to that. Besides, in the event that a Dundee United type team do cause a shock, and end up qualifying for the Champions League, would it really be that bad a thing for Scottish football?

I'm taking my Rangers hat off for a second here; Scottish football could really use a third power. Portugal, Holland, and Greece all have at least 3 teams in with a shout at any given time. If, say, Hearts qualified for the group stages, and suddenly had £20m to invest, then they could attract better players, play better football, and encourage more fans to come along. Then, all of a sudden, the SPL can get a better TV deal. I still think that, for the majority of the time, it would be either ourselves or Celtic winning it, but it would be massive for Scottish football if one of the 'wee teams' were to receive such a bounty.

Think back to the Manchester season,don't you think we were fired up then ?

Can you imagine us being a few points clear,had a great run in Europe then losing these play-offs to a team that really doesn't deserve it ?

You make a lot of good points but mostly they are about what's good for Scottish football and not what's good for Rangers,I can't do that.

Yes the tv money would be better but at what cost ? If we lose the league we don't get a shot at the Champions League cash.

Again I have every confidence in my team but a team finishing behind the leader on points should not have any opportunity at all to relieve us of the championship.

It was hard enough losing the title to Celt*c on points after making a European final never mind losing a title even though we've finished clear at the top.

Its not that bad an idea and not much different from the championship play offs where Blackpool i think finished 6th and were promoted and everyone seems to think thats a great system and love it !

but remember ther aim is to gain entry into a *new* league compared to finish 4th gain entry to play off and win it to be crowned the champions.

Instead of trying to concoct some stupid gimick to improve our league, these dipshits at Whocaresaboutus FC should be concentrating on improving the standard of their youth players they bring through, thus increasing the standard of their squad and football.

What a fucking horrible idea!

You have the potential for a team who finishes fourth, 30 points behind the leaders and they can be crowned champions doh

Whoever comes out on top over the course of 38 games are the best team and the team who deserved to wi the league. Not a fucking play-off!

Fair play (tu)

Obviously we don't want to end up like America where it's a different team every season, but I reckon that this system would still be weighted in our favour, as well as enhancing the interest a bit more.

In an ideal world, by improving the league, we're improving Rangers. Other teams becoming richer, supplemented by ourselves becoming richer quicker (I'm assuming that we'd win more often than not) would help us improve in Europe, and if we keep doing so, shove the co-efficient right up.

Of course there is the potential for a few nightmare scenarios, but I suppose that's the gamble you take.

I think it would rip the arse right out of the competitiveness in the league,

Why would you fight like fuck to be top if it doesn't mean you're the champs,there's no difference between third and fourth either.

We would have teams just playing out games IMO.

So many flaws in the idea.

Yes it would be a bad thing if someone like Dundee utd sneaked into the CL through some knock out back door. I'd agree Scottish football would gain from a third power but they wouldn't really be a 'power' through these contrived means.

I also think it would make a lot of Rangers games even less interesting. Games against the diddy teams are dire enough but imagine if we lost the 'must win' edge. If it didn't really matter if we finished top but only had to make the top four, that could happen.