Play off for the title.

PaulRFC1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's totally different down South.

As Walter Smith said himself, it only works if they top team get what they deserve.

I also agree with him when he said a play off for European spots would be more exciting.

Its not just the top team that matters though and it shouldnt be. The positives are it is exciting and would mean the gap between old firm and the rest would decrease significantly but negatives are its probably unfair

Don't think this has even a remote chance of happening (I was actually under the impression it was even against UEFA rules to have a playoff for the league - pretty sure in Belgium it wasn't a straight playoff, but something like a "Championship group" where your points from the first bit of the season still counted towards something).

However, I don't think it would be that bad in reality. There seems to be an assumption that "it makes the league pointless" but why can't you have both? In Superleague in rugby, for instance, they have the league season, they give a trophy for the team that wins the league and then they have playoffs which are rewarded with a different trophy. In essence there are two things you're playing for. The SPL is quite dull at present, so it would give you something else to aim for (why win one trophy when you can win two?) It would surely have more value than outdated nonsense like the League Cup.

The point about the police never allowing it is probably true, but also indicative of the over-involvement the police have in the game in this country. We don't ban the League/Scottish Cup final when it's us against Celtic, so why should we ban this? Are we only allowed to play directly against each other for trophies neither of us really care about? This is the sort of attitude that's killing the game in this country.

Do they already have 2 other cup competitions in the Superleague?

I would do it only on the proviso that our Euro qualification was based on the LEAGUE standings - the playoff could be for the title of Scottish Champions, the League winners would be called the SPL League Champions. Anything other than that, forget IMO

Its not just the top team that matters though and it shouldnt be. The positives are it is exciting and would mean the gap between old firm and the rest would decrease significantly but negatives are its probably unfair

In terms of handing out prizes, and rewarding efforts, it should be.

And, Would they though?

Even with this system bought in, the likelyhood is that either us or them would win.

Depends, I guess. If they're sensible, then they'll invest in some good quality youngsters; if not then they'll spend beyond their means, and go bust. I'll grant you this: gambling on the powers that be at SPL clubs to think sensibly for the long term is pretty risky :pipe:

if Hearts make it to the Group Stages - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I would do it only on the proviso that our Euro qualification was based on the LEAGUE standings - the playoff could be for the title of Scottish Champions, the League winners would be called the SPL League Champions. Anything other than that, forget IMO

We should leave having more than one champion to boxing.

Fucking nonsense idea, the 2nd CL spot yes but a playoff for the championship ? fuck no ! would be as well saying to rangers and celtic not to play all season and just let others battle it out to face us. such a stupid idea, think I would stop going to games if i'm honest as I couldn't go through a season watching pointless games.

Do they already have 2 other cup competitions in the Superleague?

No, they've just got one (the Challenge Cup) but if it's a choice between this playoff idea and the utter monotony of the League Cup then I'll take the playoffs. Like I say it's never going to happen, but if it were a replacement for the League Cup (instead of a replacement for the SPL title) then I'd be all for it. I don't see why it necessarily has to make the SPL season pointless or result in you taking away the trophy for topping the league.

A "treble" would then be winning the SPL, winning the Scottish Cup and winning the SPL playoffs - three different types of competition, rather than one league, one cup and another cup nobody really cares about other than wee teams that never win it.

In terms of handing out prizes, and rewarding efforts, it should be.

And, Would they though?

Even with this system bought in, the likelyhood is that either us or them would win.

Probably,well far more likely than it is at the moment,the likes of Hearts/Hibs can gives us and celtic a game most of the time and if it was a one off game then they would have a good chance

Not read any of the thread, so this will probably have been mentioned:

The whole point of a league is to see who is the best team over a course of 30+ games. Simple as that. Having a wee play off at the end of the season, where say, Inverness could finish in 4th yet still have a chance of being champions is ridiculous.

We leave the split behind, and go into this?!

I've had a great idea - why not, after the play-off cup final, have a penalty shoot out regardless of the score. That could decide who really wins the league.

Then, after that, toss a coin to see who really, really wins the league?

<cr>

:lol::lol::lol:

I've had a great idea - why not, after the play-off cup final, have a penalty shoot out regardless of the score. That could decide who really wins the league.

Then, after that, toss a coin to see who really, really wins the league?

<cr>

Then we could do an online poll and then finally we have our champions.

Do not think that Walter is to happy about it when asked about it.

To be honest, I think the whole thing is just posturing rather than an actual suggestion. Some clubs are against the 10 team SPL because they see it as benefiting the Old Firm and nobody else (which I don't think is entirely true, but that's their impression). Playoffs are something that would supposedly benefit the rest of the SPL but not us/Celtic (though again as I posted above I don't think that's entirely true either).

So it's probably just the sort of petty tit for tat "us against them" nonsense that happens all the time in Scottish football. They'll be suggesting it for the sole reason that it's perceived as annoying the Old Firm and because it undermines a 10 team SPL. I think (not sure due to confusing BBC reporting) Walter's response was: "they should maybe have play-offs for the European places. That might be quite interesting. I wonder how they would view that" - which is either a genuine comment or an attempt to throw it back on to them.