Play off for the title.

PaulRFC1

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A terrible idea.

You could win the league by 20 points, get a few injuries and suspensions, and lose out in the final.

And lose out on CL because of it.

The whole point in a league is that the best team over a number of games wins, this completely removes that aspect.

We have 2 cup competitions already, why turn the league into one.

It's not worth discussing as we will never again be allowed to play timmy in a league decider. So they are hardly going to have a match at hampden every season beamed around Britain knowing that the bheasts will wreck the place, jump off stands, run on the pitch and try to kill the match officials with a tuppence every time we are pumping them.

Could u imagine being 15 points clear of motherwell who were in 4th place with your team at the top, a freak result happens, you lose. end up finishing 4th in the league with Motherwell being our top seeds for the Champions league.... end up in the unseeded pot, get drawn against Arsenal, get raped 7-0 home and away. Bye bye Euro football for Scottish clubs for a long time. The most stupid Idea i've ever heard in my life.

If this goes ahead we should just resign from the SPL full stop and apply to join the English league, starting in division 2 if needs be.

Lets see how the SPL gets on without us, they won't even have a Champions League place to play for, no TV deal and opportunity to whack their ticket prices up a couple times a season.

What an absolutely mental idea. Are they seriously suggesting it would be fair for 4th place to win the league. Last year, Hibs finished 4th with 54 points. We finished with 87. Theoretically, under this ridiculous proposal, Hibs could've won the league despite finishing 33 points behind. That is absolutely insane. Whats the point in trying hard all season? You wouldn't even need to be a good team to win the league.

That would mean ra shellick have a chance :anguish:

But they have 2 automatic promotion places which Newcastle and WBA took. Then 3rd to 6th is the play offs. Imagine Newcastle who nearly broke the points record in the championship never went up :anguish:

I know its not the exact same but still similar and imo if people are saying this system is unfair then the championship one is too, the championship one is worth more as well . You could easily say well its not fair the team finishing 6th gets promoted ahead of 3rd place. It would make for a more exciting league and at the end of the day if we are better than a team that finishes 2nd,3rd or 4th then why would we need to worry about not beating them?

Also,it cant be and isnt the most stupid idea ever by a long way,the split is a worse idea imo. This is proven by the fact that as i said they have it down south ,the same system albeit a different prize

I know its not the exact same but still similar and imo if people are saying this system is unfair then the championship one is too, the championship one is worth more as well . You could easily say well its not fair the team finishing 6th gets promoted ahead of 3rd place. It would make for a more exciting league and at the end of the day if we are better than a team that finishes 2nd,3rd or 4th then why would we need to worry about not beating them?

But to me the championship works as there are 24? teams! But the Champions still go up. Play off systems work all over Europe but not to decide a leauge winner that is just wrong.

I like play offs but as i have said i wouldnt like Rangers to win a leauge this way as we werent good enough in the 1st place.

but remember ther aim is to gain entry into a *new* league compared to finish 4th gain entry to play off and win it to be crowned the champions.

You are right but its the same thing in a way with a team finishing below another team being rewarded for what should be the winners prize

But to me the championship works as there are 24? teams! But the Champions still go up. Play off systems work all over Europe but not to decide a leauge winner that is just wrong.

I like play offs but as i have said i wouldnt like Rangers to win a leauge this way as we werent good enough in the 1st place.

Dont get me wrong id prefer not to have it and i doubt it would happen but it would make it far more exciting

Dont get me wrong id prefer not to have it and i doubt it would happen but it would make it far more exciting

What's the point in even playing the other 36 games if it will just come down to 1 game at the end of the season? pointless and shite.

I'd consider chucking the football if I'm being honest as literally every game would just feel like the biggest waste of time and money.

What's the point in even playing the other 36 games if it will just come down to 1 game at the end of the season? pointless and shite.

I'd consider chucking the football if I'm being honest as literally every game would just feel like the biggest waste of time and money.

Well to get into the top four and for teams like Hamilton to survive

Well to get into the top four and for teams like Hamilton to survive

No offence, but fuck teams like Hamilton and fuck the rest of them. All I care about is Rangers.

I'd refuse to pay into a scheme that could allow the 4th team to win the league at the end of the season.

No offence, but fuck teams like Hamilton and fuck the rest of them. All I care about is Rangers. I'd refuse to pay into a scheme that could allow the 4th team to win the league at the end of the season.

Not everyone will see it that way like other clubs and guys like the SPL/SFA they just want an exciting league

Not everyone will see it that way like other clubs and guys like the SPL/SFA they just want an exciting league

Exciting, yes but it makes a mockery of any sort of competition. It might make the last game of the season exciting, but it makes the other 36 games pointless for the Old Firm as they could finish in the top 4 with their eyes shut.

Also,it cant be and isnt the most stupid idea ever by a long way,the split is a worse idea imo. This is proven by the fact that as i said they have it down south ,the same system albeit a different prize

Any play-off system is a pile of shite.

Its a league, any rewards should be based on the games played within that period, not on some spin-off game fabricated to fleece more more out of fans and TV.

Any play-off system is a pile of shite.

Its a league, any rewards should be based on the games played within that period, not on some spin-off game fabricated to fleece more more out of fans and TV.

I agree (tu) The point i was making though was that most people seem to like the one down south and this one wouldnt be far off the mark of it

I agree (tu) The point i was making though was that most people seem to like the one down south and this one wouldnt be far off the mark of it

It's totally different down South.

As Walter Smith said himself, it only works if they top team get what they deserve.

I also agree with him when he said a play off for European spots would be more exciting.

Exciting, yes but it makes a mockery of any sort of competition. It might make the last game of the season exciting, but it makes the other 36 games pointless for the Old Firm as they could finish in the top 4 with their eyes shut.

You may even have the bizarre situation of resting top players for the last Old Firm game of the season to make sure they are ok for the play-offs.

Would do more harm than good.

Don't think this has even a remote chance of happening (I was actually under the impression it was even against UEFA rules to have a playoff for the league - pretty sure in Belgium it wasn't a straight playoff, but something like a "Championship group" where your points from the first bit of the season still counted towards something).

However, I don't think it would be that bad in reality. There seems to be an assumption that "it makes the league pointless" but why can't you have both? In Superleague in rugby, for instance, they have the league season, they give a trophy for the team that wins the league and then they have playoffs which are rewarded with a different trophy. In essence there are two things you're playing for. The SPL is quite dull at present, so it would give you something else to aim for (why win one trophy when you can win two?) It would surely have more value than outdated nonsense like the League Cup.

The point about the police never allowing it is probably true, but also indicative of the over-involvement the police have in the game in this country. We don't ban the League/Scottish Cup final when it's us against Celtic, so why should we ban this? Are we only allowed to play directly against each other for trophies neither of us really care about? This is the sort of attitude that's killing the game in this country.