Boxing and MMA

3 minutes ago, KingKirk said:

Joshua gassing fury beats him

He would need to be a lot lighter than he is for a fight with fury. He couldn't be gassing like that otherwise he would struggle but you don't know how much the broken nose was affecting him.Ā 

Poor stoppage. He was nowhere near ready to be stopped.

You're never out of a heavyweight fight at this level, and whilst Joshua was winning easily,Ā Takam was still game.

Getting sick of it in UK boxing. The second a challenger is in any trouble, it gets waved off. It happens time after timeĀ and we are probably the worst major boxing nation for premature stoppages, always in favour of the house fighter - who will always be given every chance to recover should the reverse happen.

This is where boxing at times gets frustrating for fans. If Takam goes down there he gets 10 seconds to recover and the fight carries on. But because he stayed on his feet the ref stops the fight??? In amateur boxing it's common to get a standing count. I don't see why the ref can't do that if he thinks Takam is taking too many shots and the fight can then carry on. Frustrating as fuck and another in a line of fights that a ref has stepped in to prematurely end.

23 minutes ago, Jamie0202 said:

This is where boxing at times gets frustrating for fans. If Takam goes down there he gets 10 seconds to recover and the fight carries on. But because he stayed on his feet the ref stops the fight??? In amateur boxing it's common to get a standing count. I don't see why the ref can't do that if he thinks Takam is taking too many shots and the fight can then carry on. Frustrating as fuck and another in a line of fights that a ref has stepped in to prematurely end.

A properly implemented standing eight count is an excellent way to referee a difficult period of a fight, so naturally the authorities got rid of it.

I have now seen enough of Joshua to think he is going to come unstuck soon.

Klitschko would probably have done it if heĀ could still pull the trigger like a younger man, and limited (but game)Ā Takam showed again tonight that he can be bad at cutting of the ring if the opponent can move.

Povetkin is getting on a bit now, but I'd tip him to beat AJ if he hasn't aged too badly. I think anyone that can move, get inside and box has an excellent chance.

Takam tonight was 'nearly'Ā there, but neitherĀ good enough, or heavy handed enough. A slightly better fighter gets more joy.

AJ isn't adding much to his game any more. McCracken and Joshua seem to have fallen in love with his power.Ā He is looksĀ increasingly ponderous as he goesĀ up in level, and tbh is quite a basic fighter albeit with excellent power,Ā combinations and size. He doesn't use the jab enough,Ā lacks elite fight IQ and ring generalship. A smart boxer with good power will beat him.

I am starting to think McCracken has taken AJ as far as he can, and a change of trainer might bring him on. He could do worse than look over to the Kronk and learn a bit of Lewis / Klitschko. He has the natural attributes.

Machida and Maia losing on home soil :( Maia struggling with another wrestler that he can't take down, Colby doesn't seem to have much power though. Machida probably has a couple of fights still in him, think he's finished though, he's 7-8 in his last 15 fights, used to be one of my favourite fighters, absolutely deadly counter striker.

4 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Machida and Maia losing on home soil :( Maia struggling with another wrestler that he can't take down, Colby doesn't seem to have much power though. Machida probably has a couple of fights still in him, think he's finished though, he's 7-8 in his last 15 fights, used to be one of my favourite fighters, absolutely deadly counter striker.

I'm surprised Colby has managed to get out of Brazil after what he said.Ā 

Brazil have been hit hard post Usada.Ā 

12 minutes ago, maverick1200 said:

I'm surprised Colby has managed to get out of Brazil after what he said.Ā 

Brazil have been hit hard post Usada.Ā 

Did youĀ see his apology on twitter? Haha aye the brazilians aint doing too well these days, at least not the monsters of pre-usada. Maia is just one dimensional, he is one of the few purests still left in the sport, a sport which is evolving day byĀ day, he is getting left behind, if he cant take you down he is essentially useless over 3-5 rounds.

I had AJ to win between rounds 7-12 so was happy enough with the early stoppage despite thinking it should have been.

He didn't look spectacular on Saturday, he was far to rigid which comes down to the size he went in at. I think if Klitschko was a few years younger he would have beaten him fairly easily.

Would love to see Fury and him go at it, can't see it anytime soon though. Fury is like a beached whale the now.

18 hours ago, lidorfc said:

Did youĀ see his apology on twitter? Haha aye the brazilians aint doing too well these days, at least not the monsters of pre-usada. Maia is just one dimensional, he is one of the few purests still left in the sport, a sport which is evolving day byĀ day, he is getting left behind, if he cant take you down he is essentially useless over 3-5 rounds.

No I haven't seen what he said. He probably shit it as the UFC wasn't happy.