Boxing and MMA

Anyway this thread isn't about discussing if Ricky Burns is a T*rrier, its about boxing lol

I do agree with you though, he should be going after better opponents, hes good enough, imo, to take them on and yeah if he gets beat fair enough no shame losing to an other champion but if he wins then obv thats good, fighting the likes of Evensen and Laryea dont do anything for him.. maybe a wee confidence boost but I for one want to see him fighting the bigger names, hopefully thats still to come though, hopefully we'll get some big fights lined up,

I know his main ambition is to win the Ring Magazine title so maybe one day I'll get some praise out of you for him :P

and nah the picture isn't up in his living room :lol:

Anyway this thread isn't about discussing if Ricky Burns is a T*rrier, its about boxing lol

I do agree with you though, he should be going after better opponents, hes good enough, imo, to take them on and yeah if he gets beat fair enough no shame losing to an other champion but if he wins then obv thats good, fighting the likes of Evensen and Laryea dont do anything for him.. maybe a wee confidence boost but I for one want to see him fighting the bigger names, hopefully thats still to come though, hopefully we'll get some big fights lined up,

I know his main ambition is to win the Ring Magazine title so maybe one day I'll get some praise out of you for him :P

and nah the picture isn't up in his living room :lol:

You just want a trip to Vegas or somethingbiggrin.gif As for Ring Magazine he is #2 on their list, not 100% sure the way they work how the will fight for it, its got to earned through hard work and nothing stopping him going all the way, but as it stands he only halfway there (as his entrance music states). I will be first to give him some credit if he does. Who knows he may wish to move up weight to the 135 division, I think I read that somewhere he planned on doing that, 00000042.gif

You just want a trip to Vegas or somethingbiggrin.gif As for Ring Magazine he is #2 on their list, not 100% sure the way they work how the will fight for it, its got to earned through hard work and nothing stopping him going all the way, but as it stands he only halfway there (as his entrance music states). I will be first to give him some credit if he does. Who knows he may wish to move up weight to the 135 division, I think I read that somewhere he planned on doing that, 00000042.gif

Spot on haha :lol:

But yeah hes number 2 on Ring Magazine, not quite sure either how it works, I think because the Title is vacant, it'll be what they call a "Box-off" he'll have to fight and beat Fana as he is Ranked number 1 , which is no mean feat lol but the way its going jus now fighting the like of Laryea then tht is probably a long way off!

N yeah ther was talk of him moving up a weight class because he was bang on the limit for that last fight, but I think hes quite happy staying super featherweight just now, could see him moving up a weight at some point tho

Spot on haha :lol:

But yeah hes number 2 on Ring Magazine, not quite sure either how it works, I think because the Title is vacant, it'll be what they call a "Box-off" he'll have to fight and beat Fana as he is Ranked number 1 , which is no mean feat lol but the way its going jus now fighting the like of Laryea then tht is probably a long way off!

N yeah ther was talk of him moving up a weight class because he was bang on the limit for that last fight, but I think hes quite happy staying super featherweight just now, could see him moving up a weight at some point tho

would like to see him agaisnt foster junior, any word of that fight happening

That's all very well if he is a mate of yours you are going defend him its natural, will give him credit when/if he unify the titles, but why is he going for the #10 ranked by the WBO? ps is the picture on his wall as he said he was going to place it???laugh.gif

What a stupid thing to say. You've already admitted he beat the best guy in the division. That wasnt even a year ago and you're slagging him for making a couple of quick defences of that title? he's brought big fight nights back to Scotland for the first time since Harrison and Arthur were at their peak. I'm not sure you know too much about boxing tbh if thats your views.

What a stupid thing to say. You've already admitted he beat the best guy in the division. That wasnt even a year ago and you're slagging him for making a couple of quick defences of that title? he's brought big fight nights back to Scotland for the first time since Harrison and Arthur were at their peak. I'm not sure you know too much about boxing tbh if thats your views.

Martinez was REGARDED as the best in the division. Anyway u said u wanted nothing more to do with boxing because 2 fights wont happen? There is more to boxing other than the big fights. Boxing is about domestic fights too which im going to post!

Martinez was REGARDED as the best in the division. Anyway u said u wanted nothing more to do with boxing because 2 fights wont happen? There is more to boxing other than the big fights. Boxing is about domestic fights too which im going to post!

And what chance to domestic level fighters have of making it big if all the fans had the same demands you have before they praise them?

Winning a world title as a heavy underdog gives him the right to make some defences before he goes looking for super-fights. It will be Burns' long term goal (like every fighter) to be the best in his division and unify the titles but he wont do it by launching straight into one hard fight after another. He's being smart, gaining experience at the top level and getting the big crowds back into scottish venues for boxing events. He's still in his 20's and has time to play his cards right and unify the division over the next couple of years.

Looking at guys who went on to become unified and/or multi-weight champions, here are the opponents they defended against after winning their first world title:

Manny Pacquiao - Gabriel Mira

Oscar De La Hoya - Giorgio Campanella

Floyd Mayweather - Angel Manfredy

Joe Calzaghe - Branko Sobot

Bernard Hopkins - Steve Frank

Roy Jones Jr - Thomas Tate

Shane Mosley - Manuel Gomez

Not a single big name opponent there. Nobody in their right mind would refuse the chance to cash in with some routine defences after winning their first world title. I think you're being really harsh on Burns.

I tried to stay away but I couldnt. I regret saying that. I was drunk on anger at the time.

schafer (goldenboy) says amir khan wants the winner of bradley/alexander. july 30th would be fight. Schafer also wants madaian to get the loser of bradley/alexander.

Khan's next fight looks like being paul mccloskey as peterson priced himself out.

And what chance to domestic level fighters have of making it big if all the fans had the same demands you have before they praise them?

Winning a world title as a heavy underdog gives him the right to make some defences before he goes looking for super-fights. It will be Burns' long term goal (like every fighter) to be the best in his division and unify the titles but he wont do it by launching straight into one hard fight after another. He's being smart, gaining experience at the top level and getting the big crowds back into scottish venues for boxing events. He's still in his 20's and has time to play his cards right and unify the division over the next couple of years.

Looking at guys who went on to become unified and/or multi-weight champions, here are the opponents they defended against after winning their first world title:

Manny Pacquiao - Gabriel Mira

Oscar De La Hoya - Giorgio Campanella

Floyd Mayweather - Angel Manfredy

Joe Calzaghe - Branko Sobot

Bernard Hopkins - Steve Frank

Roy Jones Jr - Thomas Tate

Shane Mosley - Manuel Gomez

Not a single big name opponent there. Nobody in their right mind would refuse the chance to cash in with some routine defences after winning their first world title. I think you're being really harsh on Burns.

Ok can post proper now, was on my phone earlier, As Badger says Ricky has a long way to go to prove he is genuine world talent and capable of topping the bill in places like Vegas, I just don't see it happening and that's my opinion, maybe I was being harsher because I thought he was a Celtic fan but his friend assures me he doesn't support anyone.rolleyes.gif Also as you have pointed out there plenty of future hall of famers have title defences which is not a problem, but for him to fight a guy ranked #10 by the WBO isn't going to get him where he wants to be anywhere quick. If he were to move up weight and take on one of the champions in that division can't see him beating anyone in that division at all, maybe he will prove me wrong and you will be first to say, told you so doh.gif' alt='default_f_doh.gif' alt='doh'>.gif'> but can't see it happening00000042.gif PS please don't doubt my boxing knowledge just for having an opinion, I don't know everything but I live and breath boxing after The greatest team in the world00000042.gif

Apparently, the plan for Ricky is to go after Fana after the Laryea fight, so I guess I was wrong bout it being a long way off, thats just talk though, nothings even been set in motion yet.. still though looking forward to see what will come of it!

Oh and I was talkin to a mate today who said ther was an article in the Celtic View last month bout Ricky and one part of the interview said something like "Ricky moves ever closer to his big parkhead fight" :anguish: - will have a hard time convincing you lot hes not a jhungle jim if that ever happens! :lol:

Apparently, the plan for Ricky is to go after Fana after the Laryea fight, so I guess I was wrong bout it being a long way off, thats just talk though, nothings even been set in motion yet.. still though looking forward to see what will come of it!

Oh and I was talkin to a mate today who said ther was an article in the Celtic View last month bout Ricky and one part of the interview said something like "Ricky moves ever closer to his big parkhead fight" :anguish: - will have a hard time convincing you lot hes not a jhungle jim if that ever happens! :lol:

You have got to be joking, I am gonna have a field daybiggrin.gif, then if he does can I then call him a ta**ier cunt??? laugh.giflaugh.gif

Ok can post proper now, was on my phone earlier, As Badger says Ricky has a long way to go to prove he is genuine world talent and capable of topping the bill in places like Vegas, I just don't see it happening and that's my opinion, maybe I was being harsher because I thought he was a Celtic fan but his friend assures me he doesn't support anyone.rolleyes.gif Also as you have pointed out there plenty of future hall of famers have title defences which is not a problem, but for him to fight a guy ranked #10 by the WBO isn't going to get him where he wants to be anywhere quick. If he were to move up weight and take on one of the champions in that division can't see him beating anyone in that division at all, maybe he will prove me wrong and you will be first to say, told you so doh.gif' alt='default_f_doh.gif' alt='doh'>.gif'> but can't see it happening00000042.gif PS please don't doubt my boxing knowledge just for having an opinion, I don't know everything but I live and breath boxing after The greatest team in the world00000042.gif

Fair enough. We'll agree to disagree about Burns.

Some decent articles on ESB today. Matthew Macklin fighting Winky Wright on the Morales-Marquez undercard. Should be good but i'd still rather see Macklin-Barker.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=26467&more=1

Also, a completely unbiased article about groves/degale.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=26470&more=1

Winky v Macklin is interesting.

Winky has been very inactive, and must be pushing 40 now. However in his prime he was one of the most skilled operators of the modern era. But..... he looked terrible in his last fight against the awkward Paul Williams. As it stands Winkys had 1 fight in about 4yrs.

However if Macklin has any ambition of making the top, he has to be able to beat aged legends, and you know what, I don't think he'll beat him.

The way I see the fight going is very similar to the Froch-Abraham fight. Winky standing there with his tight guard and Macklin outworking him on the way to a decision. I dont think Winky has the strength in his legs anymore to school people like he used to.

Saying that, you cant count out the chance of an over-eager/inexperienced Macklin walking onto some flush counter-punches and losing his way.

Some decent articles on ESB today. Matthew Macklin fighting Winky Wright on the Morales-Marquez undercard. Should be good but i'd still rather see Macklin-Barker.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=26467&more=1

Also, a completely unbiased article about groves/degale.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=26470&more=1

Good to see british boxers getting on the undercards of HBO. Willie limond meant to be on undercard of marquez/morales fight as he is eriks sparring partner. Your right about macklin. Just has to watch he doesn't get caught up in the occasion. This is his chance to show the yanks what he is all about. Would like to see groves/de gale as I like groves although de gale is good to watch. Groves not shown his best in recent fights. Also nathan cleverly looks to be getting his shot at the WBO title

Macklin looked awful last time out against a poor opponent. He wasnt 100% physically apparently but he must do better. This is a hard fight to call cause Wright is somewhat of an unknown quantity now. Al go for a close decision win for Wright.