I’d never fall for my mate Broony’s wind-ups

I’d never fall for my mate Broony’s wind-ups

By ANDY DEVLIN

Published: Today

Add a comment Add a comment (0)

SCOTT BROWN is the man the Rangers players love to hate.

But to Steven Whittaker, the Celtic captain will always be a mate.

Brown stoked the Old Firm fire with his goal celebration at Ibrox two week's ago.

After hauling ten-man Hoops level, the Scotland star taunted Gers rival El Hadji Diouf.

His stunning strike set up tonight's Scottish Cup replay at Parkhead, but his actions angered many at Ibrox.

Whittaker - who came through the ranks with Brown at Hibs - was NOT one of those upset.

He said: "Scotty's always been like that. He does his stuff, we do our stuff and see who comes out on top.

"He's never tried to wind me up - I wouldn't get caught up in it."

Gers held a crisis team meeting following their 3-0 defeat to Celtic at Parkhead ten days ago. Walter Smith savaged the players and their spineless performance.

And Whittaker insists it's done WONDERS for team morale.

The full back, plugging a competition to win tickets for the game added: "We have numerous meetings over a season, whether we are doing well or badly.

"It was about making sure our minds were still on the job, reinforcing the fact that we still had a lot to play for.

"It was a word in our ear. Every player is different. Some respond to a b********g, others react better to a quiet word.

"But it comes from us as a group - we all know what's needed.

"Criticism always comes when you lose an Old Firm game but it's important you don't get down because of it.

"The switch around since then has turned things in our favour - but we can't get caught up in that, either.

"I don't think any of us will be worried about going back to Celtic Park.

"We've been there often enough, we know what to expect. This time it's important we take part in the game - because last time we didn't.

"There will always be the accusation that you're lacking heart or whatever thrown at you when you just don't play well in one of these games.

"What is important is how you come back, that you show you are still capable of winning and still want to be successful.

"We put things right in the European game, we had a good win at the weekend, so we go into this game on a little bit of a high."

Gers have been second best in the last THREE Old Firm matches.

But Whittaker insisted: "It's not a concern that they've had the upper hand in the last three, because the games still tend to be close, although obviously they won the last one convincingly.

"We won there at the start of the season, so we believe we can do it again.

"It's the Scottish Cup, so obviously one of us is going out. If the worst comes and we don't win, we could still win trophies. But we want to stay in this and win it.

"We try not to get caught up in the hype, we just have to concentrate on what we're doing. When things go wrong, we have to get back on track ourselves - the way we did last week."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/3440965/Id-never-fall-for-my-mate-Broonys-wind-ups.html#ixzz1FOpRER00

it will be interesting to see where whittaker plays tomorrow . right back , right mid or centre mid if we set up the same way we did agains sporting .

the problem with steven is that how he plays in the first five minutes often determines how the rest of his game is going to go . if he makes a couple of bad passes or tackles he will have a nightmare

Guest SandyWATP

He is technically our best player.

We should play him DM again because I think he suits it and has attributes to play there.

When Broadfoot gets back we should move him somewhere in the midfield IMO.

Weiss, Davis, Ness and Jelavic are all far superior technically.

Weiss, Davis, Ness and Jelavic are all far superior technically.

Wouldn't say far superior but it would be close between all of them.

I would say Whittaker just edges it for me but its definitely close.

I really like Whittaker, fast, skillful, great touch, good finish, great delivery and has good ball control.

I think he is wasted at right back although when I have seen him at left mid he has been average most of the time but then again I was impressed with him in Lisbon.

In fairness, very occasionally Whittaker shows some astonishing technical ability and, even though he has indicated such ability a few times, it never ceases to surprise me.

I can't remember what game it was but last season he leapt into the air and brought a ball that was going out into touch down with his foot with all the delicate poise of a ballet dancer. It reminded me of Zidane. And then I laughed at myself for comparing him to Zidane and at him for reminding me of Zidane.

A frustrating player indeed.

Can we stop getting all hot and bothered about tabloid headlines. The interview is a different story. It's done deliberately to wind us up and it works every time.

Their friendship goes further back than playing for Rangers and Celtic.

If you grow up avoiding being mates with people based on the team that they support it's very pathetic. I'm glad football doesn't dictate my life like others.

Scott Brown is a horrible cunt though (tu)

Too much attention on this mutant.

In credit to our players, not one of them has 'fallen' for anything Scott Brown has done. He simply doesn't have the brainpower to make anyone 'fall' for one of his attempted japes.

Cannot believe people are suprised that these 2 are friends considering they grew up playing for hibs together aong with thomson. They would of have known each other for close to 10 years before leaving hibs and ayway he is just saying That brown is an ase and it wont get to anyone which wil then get to him and make him try harder and get sent off.