*** Wimbledon 2011 Thread ***

Jordo

As a sportsman. Murray won that first set, had the chance to take the 2nd by the scruff of the neck and completely bottled it. He learnt nothing from last year. Unlike our Rory. :clap:

This is certainly a valid comparison. The mental focus that allowed McIlroy to bounce back after the humiliation in Augusta and win the very next major is something Murray, for all of his ability, seems to lack. After the Australian Open in January, Murray hardly won a match for months.

Really is incredible how that terrible miss by Murray at 15-30 on Nadal's serve at 2-1 in the 2nd set just totally swung the entire match. Really does seem that against a better opponent, the very second you show weakness you can never recover

Same old from Andy sadly.

When he can get a decent % of first serves he can match anyone as seen in the first set. He never though can consistently maintain it and his second serve is poorer than any male tennis player in the top 20, slow and flat. His forehand let him down again also, plenty of top-spin but no power and it's been a continual weakness throughout his career. Until either or both of these improve he'll never win a slam unless the other three are injured.

He's not a natural grass-courter though a la Henman and losing to Nadal in 4 sets on grass is no shameful thing, he at least defended his points from last season.

Andy is a hard-court player and his best chance will always come in Australia and the US for a slam title. He had a total blip last year in the US so only has 3rd round points to defend and really should be making the SF. So his ranking should improve there and I can see him overtaking Fed after that. As Djoko is number 1 now, it would be he and not Nadal he would face in the semis if he got there so interesting times ahead.

I don't think he'll be too unhappy.

It's awarded on the basis of gender equality, not earned for sporting excellence in, well, equal performance levels.

It's awarded for sporting excellence in the format available to the women. And given that they have no choice in whether they are allowed to play five-setters or not, or whether they are as physically impressive as the men, I would say that it is no bad thing to push for gender equality. They are the best in their field. Nobody is saying that by offering them the same prize money they are performing to the same "level" as the men. They are simply the best women's tennis players, and the organisers of the competitions consider it agreeable to give the same prize money to the best female tennis players as to the male tennis players, to the harm of nobody. It isn't a competition between the genders. It isn't downplaying the struggles of male players to recognise female players for their own. Besides, it is no easier to be the best female tennis player than it is to be the best male tennis player. The standard of tennis at the moment might be poor but that's hardly the point. I know that if I had to share a prize purse unequally between Pete Sampras and Steffi Graf for the sporting excellence and entertainment they provided during their heyday I wouldn't have hesitated to give the big slice to the woman.

I'm afraid I don't understand your viewpoint at all. I have no idea why it would bother anybody.

A bottler. Had it been Rafa, Djokovic or Federer who missed that forehand in the 2nd set, they would all have bounced back.

(tu)

You cant go from winning the first set 7-5 to losing 2 sets 6-2 6-2 without bottling it.

Will be a good final and I actually think Djokovic is going to take it.

Aww well, another year passes with the same old British failure at the semi-final hurdle.

Hope Rafa wins it now, can't stand Djokovic.

I'm not a fan of Djokovic, never liked him, but what a player he is. He has been different class in 2011. I think he will pip Rafa (unfortunately) to the Wimbledon title.

What a match we are in for though :)

I'm not a fan of Djokovic, never liked him, but what a player he is. He has been different class in 2011. I think he will pip Rafa (unfortunately) to the Wimbledon title.

What a match we are in for though :)

However much I dislike him, you can't knock the year he's had. 46-1. Amazing. Also the new World number 1.

However much I dislike him, you can't knock the year he's had. 46-1. Amazing. Also the new World number 1.

Which will only spur Rafa on even more... if that is possible!?

:)

(tu)

You cant go from winning the first set 7-5 to losing 2 sets 6-2 6-2 without bottling it.

Will be a good final and I actually think Djokovic is going to take it.

I disagree.

Murray never choked at all.

He was and is simply inferior to Nadal on Grass courts.

Murray's game relies on having time to plan the return and choose to slice a few...with grass there's not enough bounce. Nadal's game relies less on slice and top-spin...he's more about power..esp on the forehand. On hardcourts, Murray has the edge as he gains more speed from his ground strokes relatively and has a higher bounce to actually concentrate more on tactics which is a lesser factor in Nadal's play.

He also just can't maintain his serve over 3 sets plus and the top players will take advantage of that. The lesser players won't.

It's not mental...his serve %, second serve and forehand have always been poor.

It just takes a really good player to expose it.

IMO.

I disagree.

Murray never choked at all.

He was and is simply inferior to Nadal on Grass courts.

Murray's game relies on having time to plan the return and choose to slice a few...with grass there's not enough bounce. Nadal's game relies less on slice and top-spin...he's more about power..esp on the forehand. On hardcourts, Murray has the edge as he gains more speed from his ground strokes relatively and has a higher bounce to actually concentrate more on tactics which is a lesser factor in Nadal's play.

He also just can't maintain his serve over 3 sets plus and the top players will take advantage of that. The lesser players won't.

It's not mental...his serve %, second serve and forehand have always been poor.

It just takes a really good player to expose it.

IMO.

There is no logical explanation behind such a sharp, sudden drop-off in performance immediately after suffering a set-back, other than a mental one. Whether or not he struggles to maintain his first serve %, to go from the high 70s to the mid 40s in the course of a few games is absurd. Besides, it's not just Rafa is it? He does this against Federer in big matches and we all know is capable of beating Federer.

There is no logical explanation behind such a sharp, sudden drop-off in performance immediately after suffering a set-back, other than a mental one. Whether or not he struggles to maintain his first serve %, to go from the high 70s to the mid 40s in the course of a few games is absurd. Besides, it's not just Rafa is it? He does this against Federer in big matches and we all know is capable of beating Federer.

Murray's first serve % varies more than any in the top ten male players, and more than 19 in the top 20 - see stats on MTF official forum.

It varies widely on first round games in 250 events to Slam finals.

It's a HUGE problem for him.

He's beaten Fed several times actually with a first serve % below 50%...which is ridiculous actually.

He's never beaten Rafa with a first serve below 70%. (Same source)

It's true...and I say that as someone who believes Fed is the greatest player to ever play the game.

Murray has a pathetic H2H with Nadal...except....on Hardcourts...ergo my earlier point.