*** Wimbledon 2011 Thread ***

Jordo

It's awarded for sporting excellence in the format available to the women.

I'll suggest it's the only format available because the demand to change it from interested parties is zero.

Equality should be a right for all in this world where possible, and so it seems ridiculous the issue get's dealt with so poorly. This isn't just about women's tennis, but a desire for sporting equality where it absolutely should (and could) be.

For example, do you remember the situation Victoria Pendleton (gold medal cyclist) found herself in when Hoy was winning his treble gold? Pendleton was denied the chance to achieve a similar level of success because women were only allowed to participate in one sprint event. Hopefully that will be one more lack of equality soon consigned to history.

So, for me at least, men and women should simply compete on an equal basis. That's identifiably not the case in pro Tennis.

I'll suggest it's the only format available because the demand to change it from interested parties is zero.

Equality should be a right for all in this world where possible, and so it seems ridiculous the issue get's dealt with so poorly. This isn't just about women's tennis, but a desire for sporting equality where it absolutely should (and could) be.

For example, do you remember the situation Victoria Pendleton (gold medal cyclist) found herself in when Hoy was winning his treble gold? Pendleton was denied the chance to achieve a similar level of success because women were only allowed to participate in one sprint event. Hopefully that will be one more lack of equality soon consigned to history.

So, for me at least, men and women should simply compete on an equal basis. That's identifiably not the case in pro Tennis.

Like most things in sport...TV coverage dictates rewards.

Female tennis attracts a comparable number of viewers to males.

The Grandslam final figures are almost the same.

Therefore the payment is less about quality than viewership...and that's why it's the same.

If less watched...they'd be paid less.

For a easy comparison....just think EPL Blackpool and SPL Rangers.

Nuff said.

A bottler. Had it been Rafa, Djokovic or Federer who missed that forehand in the 2nd set, they would all have bounced back.

Bottler: Top 4 Tennis Player strides out on court in a Grand Slam semi-final against the World Number One... He strides out alone putting every ounce of his physical and mental being into a match which could last many hours against a phenomenon and the toughest opponent in modern day sport...

Muff: Fat, lazy, negative bastard who has a keyboard...

Like most things in sport...TV coverage dictates rewards.

Female tennis attracts a comparable number of viewers to males.

The Grandslam final figures are almost the same.

Therefore the payment is less about quality than viewership...and that's why it's the same.

If less watched...they'd be paid less.

For a easy comparison....just think EPL Blackpool and SPL Rangers.

Nuff said.

http://www.tennistweets.com/blog/24/2009-wimbledon-facts-and-figures.php

Mate of mine asked me to show you that link. Look at the viewing figures. (tu)

For me, Murray dipped after he missed that point at 15-30 on Rafa's serve.

Fair enough, I don't think he could have maintained the accuracy and intensity that he did for the opening set. Unfortunately, I do believe he could have played better than he did from then on. His hitting was just too short or just too long after that, and I do believe that's a mental flaw. However, on his day, he can compete with the top players.

Murray will win a grandslam eventually, I hate the part time Tennis fans that give him abuse for his failure to succeed at Wimbledon. This year is actually an improvement on previous years vs Nadal in the semis at wimbledon.

He didn't bottle it :rolleyes: His opponent had 7 UE's the whole match ffs :rolleyes:

Murray makes that shot at 15-30 the match would have been different. Gasps from the crowd gets to him, he stops believing in himself and before he knew it he had lost the next 2 sets.

Andy's time will come and i believe it will be at the US Open. His favourite and best surface to play on. :uk:

He didn't bottle it

Gasps from the crowd gets to him, he stops believing in himself and before he knew it he had lost the next 2 sets.

You've said he didn't bottle it then go on to explain that he did bottle it. Under the weight of expectation, he fluffed a shot - or bottled it.

He's a bottler.

You've said he didn't bottle it then go on to explain that he did bottle it. Under the weight of expectation, he fluffed a shot - or bottled it.

He's a bottler.

If you class that as bottling it then i wish i was a bottler like him

Do the girls know how to hit a drop shot or a slice?

Been watching this for 40 minutes and I haven't seen a single one.

It's just constant baseline skelps end to end.

Women's tennis? Finesse? Try showjumping or something.

There's a reason the Williams sisters are so dominant - muscle power.

If you class that as bottling it then i wish i was a bottler like him

Isn't that what bottling is?

He had an easy shot to make, but was under pressure to make it - couldn't - and he ended up fluffing the rest of the game because his bottle crashed.

Did anybody see Boris and his Terminator intro at the beginning of the coverage? :lol:

Nadal is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.