Our Transfer Dealings

Ace

Completely agree Ace. What we have to appreciate also is that the club are now being more honest with us, the fans. They are "keeping us in the loop" so to speak, which had long been a criticism of the previous regime(ironic that we now have some fans complaining about us speaking about our dealings). What we also have to take into consideration at this point of the transfer window is that Mr Whyte and Mr Smith have both come out and said that clubs are still difficult to deal with at this point of the window as squads are yet to be finalised, its through our own misfortune(low Euro co-efficient, league starting earlier) that we have competitive games so early on, clubs in other leagues are well within their rights to hold on to their players as long as they like incase of other sales or injuries. Lets not kid ourselves on, if the shoe was on the other foot would we want to be selling off players just in case such occurences happened?? No of course not.

We have to be patient, we cannot afford to just "pay what they want" as its this sort of reckless abandonment that put us where we were before Mr Whyte came to power. I for one, am very hapy about how we are now going about our business, both in player negotiations/commercially/improving Ibrox standards etc, i think it shows that the new board have a clear vision of how they want the club to be run.

Yes we would all love to see a full and completed squad ready to go by day 1 of the season but we were starting from a very low point and if it takes another couple of weeks to get the faces in then thats the way it has to be.

My confidence grows in the new owner week by week and i thoroughly believe he will deliver on his promises(retaining the players we have goes some way to proving this).

Come the first game of the season we are still the team to beat and we still have the same team that effectively won the championship, but we know that IT WILL be strengthened where as before it was being stripped to the bones.

So lets give the Chairman and Mr McCoist some breathing space for now, if by 12AM on 1/9/11 we have brought in no-one then that is the time for alarm bells to really ring. But for now, lets be patient!! After all We Are The Champions!

Here's to 4-I-R!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really care if we look bad or stupid. As the OP says, this seems to be the argument used by most to conclude that our dealings are amateurish. I'll wait until the end of the window to judge.

Pretty bad so far.

Whilst I'm usually calling for more openness at Ibrox, when it comes to transfers Ally & co have been giving out too many interviews saying particular players are close to signings and they are confident etc etc

Just makes us look daft when they go elsewhere.

Better to keep schtum til they sign.

We also seem to be starting bids ridiculously low. So low, we have no credibility after it and the player buggers off or his club tell us to.

I'm not expecting us to chuck any amounts of cash at a player but we need to be a bit realistic.

I've got to agree with this.

I'm sure we'll get there in the end regarding signings, although I would prefer if it wasn't done so openly and in public.

Tomer Hemed - We offered him a good deal but he decided to go to La Liga for less money. Can't blame the club here.

Craig Conway - No way is he worth £15,000 a week. But why bring him to Murray Park wothout the intention of offering him a deal?

Neil Danns - We were told by McCoist that he hoped to get that one completed soon but we never even offered him a contract and he joined Leicester. Very poorly handled.

David Goodwillie - Tested the waters with a low bid but there is no way we will sign him with the rape charge hanging over his head. No blame attached here.

Lee Wallace - A pointless first offer that was a cert to get rejected. A waste of time bidding £300,000.

Kenny Miller - Bursaspor named their price and we come in with a bid that was always going to be rejected. There is trying your luck and then there is taking the piss.

Alejandro Bedoya - Won't cost that much but we go in with a bid that is too low again and will now wait to get him on a pre contract and save some money even though we need players in now.

Carlos Cuellar - No blame at all should be directed towards Ally McCoist or Craig Whyte here. We agreed a fee with Aston Villa and offered Cuellar a contract but the lazy fucker and his agent have not got back to us. We can do no more here.

Overall our transfer dealings have been pretty embarassing and pathetic.

Im beginning to get the impression maybe we are waiting to see if we qualify for the champions league before anyone comes in.

Whyte is due last years champions league money, and if we qualify again that money will be paid next year maybe this is where the figures are coming from for transfer budgets.

If the 5m budget is there i dont see how it is difficult to negotiate for a player you want within your budget and reason, if we bring in quality to the squad we will retain the title and go further in europe.

We've went for a lot of players who have chosen to go to better leagues and/or for more money.

I'm not sure what else we could have done, to be honest.

Overspend on players who aren't worth it? Give Craig Conway £15,000 every single week?

No thanks. I'd be more disappointed with our transfer dealings if we had overspent on average players.

Sent you a PM mate (tu)

Im beginning to get the impression maybe we are waiting to see if we qualify for the champions league before anyone comes in.

Whyte is due last years champions league money, and if we qualify again that money will be paid next year maybe this is where the figures are coming from for transfer budgets.

If the 5m budget is there i dont see how it is difficult to negotiate for a player you want within your budget and reason, if we bring in quality to the squad we will retain the title and go further in europe.

I'm sorry I don't understand - how is Whyte due last year's Champions League money ??

It could of gone better I will admit, but I think we are struggling because teams are unwilling to deal so early in the transfer season.

I am sure we will get the players at the price we want, but im sure it will take time.

I have a feeling that we are looking at squad players 1st and waiting (i hope) until later to find a marquee signing.

Also if other clubs (Cardiff) want to offer £15,000 for a squad players, let them. I'd be pissed if we wasted money on average players, I don't want the Mcleish days back again.

Pretty bad so far.

Whilst I'm usually calling for more openness at Ibrox, when it comes to transfers Ally & co have been giving out too many interviews saying particular players are close to signings and they are confident etc etc

Just makes us look daft when they go elsewhere.

Better to keep schtum til they sign.

We also seem to be starting bids ridiculously low. So low, we have no credibility after it and the player buggers off or his club tell us to.

I'm not expecting us to chuck any amounts of cash at a player but we need to be a bit realistic.

This sums up my feelings perfectly...

Terrible.

We knew when the season starts and we knew that we needed 5-6 players in as our squad is extremely weak.

Players choosing other clubs for more money etc is only an excuse up to a point.

Business is a cruel world and the simple fact is we needed to strengthen in certain areas and with 3 days until the season starts, we haven't.

I'm not saying we are fucked by any means. But to answer the initial question - no I am not happy with our transfer dealings and I doubt the management staff are either.

The transfer window is open til the end of august so not worried. The way people are flapping on here you'd think it closes tomorrow.

We still have the team that won the league and ended the season well, although not long term it should be enough to get by for a few weeks.

People want to calm down on here. I think there's too many of the football manager brigade who think in real life you should just throw money about and give clubs what they ask for. This is the real world and that's why we ended up fucked in the first place. What quality players have knocked us back? I'd rather we took our time and got the right players rather than just getting any cunt in before tomorrow.

Most of the reasonable Bears would have looked at the team and the limited depth of squad we have and expected a sensible campaign from our management to widen the options for Ally for the season ahead.

The contracts for existing players are important and I for one am delighted to see so many of our best players extending their careers well into the next 3/5 years. However we still have not addressed the depth of our squad and all it takes is one or two injuries before the title gets away from us. It looks like, with Juanma and our youth players, we have considerable choices in certain areas but it is now getting close to the deadline with no depth in defence and attack.

We do not need to pin our hopes on a Bursaspor bargain when there are many younger/faster players out there to support Jelavic (sure Kenny could do a turn but...). I hope for Carlos to make the decision today but we will still be 3 or 4 players off the minimum required.

Hopefully there will be a flurry of activity "in the next8 hours (what a dick I look for using that phrase)"

Firstly, I think this thread would be more accurately entitled, 'Replying to Our Lack of Transfer Dealings'

The response above accurately reflects my views so I have simply quoted it. It is extremely misleading to simply state that we are being financially prudent. That may be the case, but our public statements have, at times, been naive and inept and have often led our supporteres to believe that signings are imminent when they clearly were not.

None of us know what is going on behind the scenes, or have a grasp of the potential difficulties negotiating with clubs and agents; all the more reason, therefore, to exercise some care about what is said to the press.

Like it or not the patience of the REASONABLE supporter has been sorely tried by the continual drip feed of innacurate information from the management team, and the concern continues to grow given the proximity of the new SPL season and the Champions League qualifiers.

I have faith in the Club and in Ally, but i would be dishonest if i did not admit that I'm more than just a little concerned.

One thing that concerns is that as the targets slip away, for whatever reason, then we start to move further and further down our list of targets, and we may end up with guys who are 4th or 5th choice.

Apparantly we have an extra £15m to spend.

We have had £2m accepted for Cuellar(out of our hands now)

Get Ziani in for free

Get Juhasz in for £1.5m

Pay £650k for Miller

Pay £1.75m for Goodwillie

Try Verhoek for £2.5m

Try Wallace for £600k

Bartley and Weiss again on loan

Would that be realistic and would that be good enough for everyone?

Get Ziani in for free

Get Juhasz in for £1.5m

Pay £650k for Miller

Try Verhoek for £2.5m

Try Wallace for £600k

Would be great for me - however, unfortunately I think it's highly unrealistic.

Get Ziani in for free

Get Juhasz in for £1.5m

Pay £650k for Miller

Try Verhoek for £2.5m

Try Wallace for £600k

Then there's signing on fees, wages, clauses on top of those wages....