Biggest Regrets On Players We Missed Out On.

graeme_4

It was Smith's last season, Ronaldo claimed in an interview that he would have come if he knew Advocaat was taking over the next season (having worked with him at PSV.)

From what i remember at the time, it was Advocaats first season and it was a Murray signing as a statement of intent as much as anything. At that time we were arguably the biggest team in Britain, a fact confirmed by SAF last season.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for you...used to knwo him when he satyed in the Broomloan Flats , souple of my mates lived there and he used to come to the mid weekgames with us.

The mhanks ahd him down for getting released but he got called into make up the numbers against killie in a testimonial game and scored a good few goals. But was and is still a TRUE BLUE.

Really???? :uk:

Think This is what some were looking for, apparantly we went for him again and Jardel was up for it.

Mario Jardel

Rangers have begun negotiations to bring Jardel to Ibrox. He is under contract to Porto for 5 years but has a clause which states he can leave for $8 million at the end of the first year if he chooses to do so. Walter Smith will watch the Brazilian against Manchester Utd on Wednesday.

(Source The Sunday Post 2 March 1997)

23-year-old Brazilian striker Jardel is determined not to allow a second chance of playing for Rangers slip through his fingers. Walter Smith has made contact with Jardel's agent again, and will send a representative to watch him in Wednesday's European Cup quarter-final.

Last night Jardel said "I will be playing specially for Walter and for Rangers, and all the supporters who made my wife and I feel so welcome when we were in Scotland. Porto are a great young team, but they do not have world renowned players like Paul Gascoigne and Brian Laudrup. I could learn a lot from playing alongside these players and, together with Laudrup, we could make a partnership second to none when it comes to scoring goals."

"I still hope for a move, and hope to be part of the team that wins ten titles in a row. The dream of playing for Rangers has been kept alive in the past year and a half, and I haven't missed one of their games on television. I hope we can find a way around the problem of a visa, because nothing would make me happier than to play and score goals for Rangers and Walter Smith."

The work permit problems which ruled out Rangers last attempt to sign the player will still be a stumbling block because Jardel has not played in 75% of Brazil's matches in the past two years. The Scottish Football League management committee mmets on Thursday and it is believed that a relaxation of these restrictions on players from outwith the EU is on the agenda.

(Source Evening Times 3 March 1997)

Rangers have launched a bid to sign Brazilian striker Jardel from Porto for £4.5 million. Walter Smith sees the tall hitman as the perfect strike partner for Sebastian Rozental and wants the two players to lead Rangers assault on Europe. Rangers are hoping work permit regulations will be relaxed next season to allow clubs up to three non-EEC players on their books at the same time.

Jardel has been warned by Porto coach Louis Olivera not to speak publicly about the move until after they have clinched their league title. The player is now a regular in the Brazilian team so it is unlikely that the red tape which prevented him signing at Ibrox last year would still be a problem. Jardel said, "that day at Ibrox is one I will never forget. My biggest regret is that I wasn't part of the incredible achievement of winning nine titles in a row."

(Source All Newspapers 15 May 1997)

May aswell add this one that I just found.

Gabriel Batistuta

Rangers are lining up a £10 million summer swoop for Argentinian striker Gabriel Batistuta. Walter Smith sees the powerful Fiorentina striker as the stunning summer signing which could signal the beginning the rebuilding process.

(Source The Sun 15 March 1997)

Walter Smith has confirmed his interest in Argentinian star Gabriel Batistuta. He said "he is one of a list of players who has been recommended to us but at the moment a price tag of £10 million seems a little excessive."

(Source The Sunday Mail 16 March 1997)

Rangers have ruled out a move for Gabriel Batistuta after being quoted a fee of £20 million.

(Source The Sunday Mail 23 March 1997)

Rangers are trying to line up Argentinian striker Gabriel Baststuta as a high profile replacement for Laudrup. The Fiorentina striker would cost around £8 million but he is good friends with recent signing Lorenzo Amoruso.

(Source Evening Times 5 June 1997)

:drool::drool::drool::drool:

Found this aswell.

Robert Pires

Walter Smith has stepped up his bid to sign £4 million rated Robert Pires from French side Metz. 23 year old Pires has been dubbed the new Platini by sources in France and impressed the Rangers manager during a recent UEFA cup tie for Metz against Newcastle. Pires was singled out as a possible target by Kenny Dalglish and Archie Knox has watched him on a few occasions since.

(Source Sunday Mail 16 February 1997)

Newcastle are set to beat Rangers to another target Kenny Dalglish recommended during his time at Ibrox. They are ready to splash 5 million to land Metz star Robert Pires to replace Alan Shearer who is likely to miss the rest of the season. When Shearer returns Pires would move back in to the midfield clearing the way for David Ginola to leave St James Park.

(Source The Sun 27 February 1997)

Were we not close to signing Vialli and Ravanelli? Tamudo and the 'failed' medical!!! Wtf was that about!!!!

Vialli - 1998, chose Chelsea over us on a bosman. Seem to recall him saying he would have chosen Rangers had he not just won the CL with Juventus. (I might be talking shit there but it sticks in my mind for some reason).

Ravanelli - I don't recall this one?

Tamudo's meidcal - One of a list of failed medicals yet starred elsewhere yet others who have brittle bones seem to make it through.

From what i remember at the time, it was Advocaats first season and it was a Murray signing as a statement of intent as much as anything. At that time we were arguably the biggest team in Britain, a fact confirmed by SAF last season.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Ronaldo%3a+I+could+have+been+a+Ger.-a060349003

That's all I can find on it, suggesting it was befor Advocaat came.