Lennon: We Have Sent Letters

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they don't really have a case to answer then.

Nope.

If anything, its the swiss FA's fault for registering the players. Which the media in this country fail to mention, THEY ARE REGISTERED.

Once FC Sion are drawn into a Europa League Group, then its game over for Celtic. Even if they are kicked out after that, it wont be Celtic replacing them.

I don't know, you could argue that since Sion fielded ineligible players in both legs then those should be registered as a 3-0 defeat for them (as it's normally done in such cases).

It is a ridiculous situation though, I really don't get why UEFA or governing bodies in general. Look at how late Fenerbahce were thrown out.

Yes, and the teams they had beaten never got back in.

By the Swiss FA.

Uefa still deemed them ineligible and Uefa >>>> Swiss FA.

Sion have already been to court with the Swiss FA to prove the players were legal, and that FIFA banned them for two transfer windows and not a YEAR ban from buying players.

Its like going to court, getting banned from driving for a year, then reapplying for your license after a year and DVLA turning round and saying oh we meant 18 months actually, sorry.

Erm...Fenerbahce won the league last season and would've therefore gone straight to the group stages of the CL, not quite the same situation.

they also put Trabzonspor back in to replace them,, pretty sure Trabzonspor got beat in the same qualifying round that Malmo beat us

If sion do get kicked out it's blatant favouritism.

Funny how marseille still won the champs league after all the proven corruption in 1992/93 iirc. We should've been in the final that yr. Cheating bastards

Surely you should be happy that things are now being done the right way?

At the end of the day... They were told in advance not to play the players. They did, twice. UEFA have to act, if they don't throw them out it'll make a mockery of their competition and credentials. Other teams will start doing it because they know they can.

You'd honestly never see any of the British sides doing stuff like this. If it wasn't Celtic who were being reinstated I'd be saying Sion should be thrown out on their arses for have the sheer audacity to think they're bigger than the governing body in football.

Surely you should be happy that things are now being done the right way?

At the end of the day... They were told in advance not to play the players. They did, twice. UEFA have to act, if they don't throw them out it'll make a mockery of their competition and credentials. Other teams will start doing it because they know they can.

You'd honestly never see any of the British sides doing stuff like this. If it wasn't Celtic who were being reinstated I'd be saying Sion should be thrown out on their arses for have the sheer audacity to think they're bigger than the governing body in football.

good post mate

rules are rules,, Sion look as though theyve broken them

its just shite its the filth that are goin to benefit from the decision,,

they wont make much money from it,, pretty sure the season Fulham got to the final they only made about 5m euros (might be wrong on that)

plus the group they will go into will only embarrass them further

Embarrassing :anguish:

That a scottish football team wasnt good enough to beat Fc Sion, and are now going down the lines off trying to get back into the competition on a technicality :anguish:

Neil Lennon hopes Celtic will get into the Europa League group stages on a technicality after crashing out 3-1 to FC Sion in their play-off second-leg clash.

Daniel Majstorovic was sent off early on and Pascal Feindounoscored from the spot before adding a second after the break.

Celtic defender Charlie Mulgrew pulled one back but Giovanni Sio notched a third for the Swiss side to send them through.

However, Celtic are looking for a red tape reprieve as Sion have five players in their squad - Feindouno, Mario Mutsch and Gabri, Jose Goncalves and Billy KETKEOPHOMPHONE - who are, in the eyes of Fifa, ineligible to play in the competition.

Sion's European squad, though, was approved by the Swiss FA who, along with the club, have reportedly been warned by Uefa general secretary Gianni Infantino about possible sanctions, although the Court of Arbitration for Sport, who will rule on the issue, will not pass their verdict until next week.

The Celtic boss, however, expects a positive outcome.

"We have sent in letters last week and handed one to the delegate," he said. "There is hearing on Tuesday and we will know the outcome after that.

"If clubs are breaking the rules then every club should break the rule then."

Asked if he would be comfortable about replacing Sion, he replied: "Yes."

No humiliation

In his first European foray as permanent boss last season Lennon's side lost to Braga and FC Utrecht in the respective UEFA Champions League and Europa League qualifiers but he denied this latest failure was humiliating.

He said: "Humiliating? It's a such a strong word. I don't think it is a humiliation.

"We have to be realistic about things, we are not where we were four or five years ago in Europe.

"I am frustrated that I failed to take the team through.

"I would say to the fans to stick the team and no one is as disappointed as myself with the result."

The former Celtic skipper will look at the penalty incident again before he makes his mind up about Majstorovic's involvement.

"I would like to know how he got there in the first place," he said. "But I think it was a penalty and I think he had to go.

"We will have a look at him later. We regrouped and did very well. I am very disappointed that we lost but there was a lot I took out of the game."

Ketkeophomphone - Sounds like a legal high drug

they also put Trabzonspor back in to replace them,, pretty sure Trabzonspor got beat in the same qualifying round that Malmo beat us

Yes, that is true. But it's a different situation. Fenerbahce were thrown out of Europe because of irregularities in the domestic league, which in theory means they never qualified, that's why they were replaced by Trabzonspor, which is fair in my view. Trabzonspor would've had valid reasons to complain if some other team was replacing Fenerbahce.

In Sion's case they were eligible to play, but their rule infringement was specific to their tie, where they fielded ineligible players, which normally results in that game being registered as a 3-0 win for the other team, so if they do indeed get thrown out, then the only team that should replace them is the team they knocked out.

I hope they do get in now, will cause them some fixture congestion and will test their squad.

They will also take some heavy defeats along the way which could affect their league form.

Don't forget they have a European first team and a separate SPL first team. :craphead: