Is This Worthy Of A Six Game Ban?

Yoghurto

In the Russian league derby game between Spartak and CSKA played in August, Akinfeev picked up a knee injury that has ruled him out for at least six months. Yesterday Welliton was hit with a six game suspension for his role in the incident.

Does this collision warrant a 6 game ban? You be the judge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiVm4AIT6EI

Here's the story regarding the ban:

Six-match ban for Spartak Moscow's Welliton for rash challenge on CSKA Moscow's Igor Akinfeev

The football authorities in Russia have decided to suspend the forward for dangerous play after his challenge led to the injury of an opposition player

Spartak Moscow's Brazilian striker Welliton has been hit with a six-game ban by the Russian Football Union's (RFS) Disciplinary Committee.

The punishment is a result of the injury to CSKA Moscow goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev in the 2-2 draw between the clubs in week 22 of the Russian Premier League.

Welliton's dangerous challenge left Akinfeev needing treatment after suffering a serious knee injury which could see him out of action for some time.

A statement released by the RFS reads: "The Welliton case was discussed today at the meeting of the Executive Committee of the RFS, where the entire Disciplinary Committee was invited.

"In accordance with Article 127 of the RFS Disciplinary Regulations the Executive Committee construed Article 94 of the Disciplinary Regulations. Subsequently, the Disciplinary Committee held a meeting on the issue of Wellitons sanctioning.

"Pursuant to Article 94 paragraph 4, Welliton was suspended for six games for rough play that resulted in an injury to the opponent."

The Punishment means Welliton will miss the big clash against league leaders Zenit St. Petersburg on October 1.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/553/russia/2011/09/07/2655141/six-match-ban-for-spartak-moscows-welliton-for-rash-challenge-on-

I wouldnt even say thats enough for a yellow card let alone a 6 game ban. I wonder if there was a background to this though. Maybe Welliton openly said he tried to hurt him or something.

If it was an honest contest for the ball then its a fucking joke, we may as well just not play if ur not allowed to even touch another player.

Also the injury was as much the keepers fault as Welliton's so i have no idea how they can say his challenge caused the injury.

To be fair, he quite inexplicably takes his eye off the ball when he realises he won't get to it and ploughs into Akinfeev. I don't think he tried to hurt him but it was reckless play. He made an ill judged run for a ball he couldn't get to and by going so fast allowed himself no chance of stopping to prevent a collision of his own making - a collision that resulted in a player being injured for 6 months.

Not a 6 match ban offence but I'd have sent him off too.

its blatant sectarianism - obviously the authorities didnt manage to get to little aiden magayday so they go after his team-mate welliton.

the head of the russian football authorities, boris fukdapopeski, refused to comment,when asked by cordoruy clad notorious homosexual, on how the little crying children of murdering social workers are supposed to handle this news.

Welliton :praise: what a player.

Was it feck a ban. just one of those challenges you see all the time but akinfeev lands awkwardly and does his ligaments in. bad bit of luck but not really anyones fault.

To be fair, he quite inexplicably takes his eye off the ball when he realises he won't get to it and ploughs into Akinfeev. I don't think he tried to hurt him but it was reckless play. He made an ill judged run for a ball he couldn't get to and by going so fast allowed himself no chance of stopping to prevent a collision of his own making - a collision that resulted in a player being injured for 6 months.

Not a 6 match ban offence but I'd have sent him off too.

That's the biggest bunch of pish i've ever heard :lol: surely a wind up attempt?

He has every right to go for that ball, you never know what might happen

That's the biggest bunch of pish i've ever heard :lol: surely a wind up attempt?

watch the angle from behind the keeper mate

wellington takes his eye off the ball, and focuses on the keeper, he knew he wasnt going to reach that but decided to clobber the keeper anyway

wether its a 6 game ban or not its up to the russians and their rules, but imo it was a deliberate attempt to hit the keeper, not fuck him over for 6 months, but wellington wanted to hit the keeper imo

watch the angle from behind the keeper mate

wellington takes his eye off the ball, and focuses on the keeper, he knew he wasnt going to reach that but decided to clobber the keeper anyway

wether its a 6 game ban or not its up to the russians and their rules, but imo it was a deliberate attempt to hit the keeper, not fuck him over for 6 months, but wellington wanted to hit the keeper imo

I took the wee look as a quick glance to make sure he wasn't going to do a Mcgregor on his ass .

You might want to watch the video again. He's miles from the ball when he goes steaming in at full throttle and he's obviously not going to make it in time. The most he could have hoped for is playing the ball and still taking the keeper out, which would have been reckless behaviour as it is, but he didn't play the ball and in fact quite clearly opts out of even trying towards the end. His reaction appears to be "oh shit, I haven't thought this through".