Best Rangers Buys Ever

Senna

You can nominate who you like, but don't just post 'that's pure shite' without at least posting your own.

You can have three modern (say 1990 - present) and three older ones if you like, or you can just pick one.

Modern:

Brian Laudrup - £2.3m today wouldn't get you Scott Brown, Samararse or Flo. It got us the best foreigner ever to play in Scotland.

Andy Goram - For a fee of around £1m, he won us more points toward 9IAR than pretty much anyone, maybe even Ally.

Jean-Alain Boumsong - Bosman deal which returned £8m six months later for a defender that wasn't brilliant was good. Better still - the £8m helped fund the return of Barry Ferguson, Thomas Buffel and the most dramatic of our league titles, ever.

Older:

Davie Cooper - £100,000 for one of our most gifted players ever. What more is there to say?

Ally McCoist - 355 goals in 581 apps for £185,000. Just over £500 a goal. Had Flo made that return at £12m, he would have had to score 24,000 goals.

Graeme Souness - No manager since Bill Struth transformed the club the way Souness did, plus we got five years out of him for £300,000.

Souness and Boumsong are deliberately controversial inclusions considering, I'll admit, but they meet the conditions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jean-Alain Boumsong - Bosman deal which returned £8m six months later for a defender that wasn't brilliant was good. Better still - the £8m helped fund the return of Barry Ferguson, Thomas Buffel and the most dramatic of our league titles, ever.

Thats cheating because a bosman isnt a buy.

Boyd at £400k has to be up there. (say what you like but thats a heck of a lot of goals for 400k)

(I'm still thinking but thats just one off the top of my head)

Thats cheating because a bosman isnt a buy.

Boyd at £400k has to be up there. (say what you like but thats a heck of a lot of goals for 400k)

(I'm still thinking but thats just one off the top of my head)

I dunno, there'll have been agent fees and all sorts but maybe I should have said transfers instead of buys.

Interesting to see that one of Boyd's teammates now is Diomansy Kamara.

Ian ferguson 850k from St midden.

It's often overlooked how important a player he was for us gough and coisty are the only other players with a full set of 9iar medals

That guy epitomised everything a rangers player should be, you could see how proud he was everytime he pulled a blue shirt on, he loved our club and he could play a bit as well

Kris Boyd at 450k and ended up the SPLs highest ever goal scorer was a fantastic piece of business. You could say similar about wee Nacho, terrific for the money we paid.

If you are including bosmans, big Dado on a free :praise:

And fuck it, Goianegra for 900k, less than half the price of Glenn Loovens :D

Modern Day....

Davie Weir - Started the change of fortunes we've had in recent years by being the first defender we had in that team that could win a header and actually defend. Inspired signing and definitely a Rangers great!

Steven Davis - Although he cost us £3.5m? we wouldn't be anywhere near where we are if we didn't have his drive, guile and inspiration in the midfield. Understands what it means to play for the club!

Papac - Cost us £1m, given us 5 years of tremendous service and the fact he's still the only surviving member of the Le Guen era speaks for itself.

Older Players....

McCoist - No explanation needed.

Davie Cooper - Same as above.

Modern day has to be Davie Weir. I think our best buy ever is McCoist at 300k.

I agree with that, Weir stabilised the whole team when he came in and was the perfect foundation to build on and win our last 3 titles plus our incredible run to Manchester. McCoist needs no explanation!