BBC's Stuart Cosgrove Indirectly Mocks Ian Durrant Injury

Senna

Even by their standards, today's BBC Radio Scotland output is shameful.

Stuart Cosgrove today suggested on Off the Ball – in a conversation with Richard Gordon - that Aberdeen could take advantage of naming rights for their planned new stadium and christen it in honour or commemoration of an incident where a Rangers player’s career was threatened by a horrendous tackle and serious injury.

This was prefaced by a comment from Cosgrove “So are there some names that would be unacceptable?” which led Gordon to waffle about ADIDAS. The following then took place.

Stuart Cosgrove: “The Ian Durrant stadium – something like that?”

Richard Gordon: “(stifling a nervous titter as laughter takes over and continues in studio) Look, that’s just ridiculous. Plainly ridiculous. The thought that Ian is going to buy naming rights for Aberdeen’s new stadium is way out of left-field.”

Stuart Cosgrove: “So that would be unacceptable?”

Conversation moves on.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0175gv0/Off_the_Ball_12_11_2011/

From 1hr, 04 minutes, 40 seconds.

The course of Durrant’s career was, of course, irrevocably changed by the disgraceful ‘tackle’ perpetrated by Aberdeen’s Neil Simpson. That he came back and played at a high level again was of enormous credit to Ian and his spirit. Needless to say, the never-friendly trips to Pittodrie have rarely since resembled a tea party.

No doubt this latest example of the banter and the honest mistake culture at Pacific Quay will be excused. But it once again highlights the complete contempt for the Rangers support and the Club as a whole. Complain and demand Cosgrove is removed.

You can ring 03700 100 222 or use the form below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/forms/

http://www.football.co.uk/rangers/cosgrove_and_bbc_sick__joke__re_durrant_injury__rss1936553.shtml

What a fucking wank.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't pretend that I've never rejoiced in an injury to opposition players, so I can't then turn round and claim to be disgusted by this. Sorry.

You a national sports show presenter though?

I won't pretend that I've never rejoiced in an injury to opposition players, so I can't then turn round and claim to be disgusted by this. Sorry.

Yeah I remember that time you were broadcasting to the nation and taking the piss out of one of the best players of a generation getting a career shattering injury. Oh wait.....

When will people get it into their head that comparing fans with broadcasters is no comparison at all?

you are not a public figure getting a salary from joe public, therefor yourr beliefs, though very poor , in the grander scale dont matter but his do, and to use it to gain a wee laugh is not very nice.

Nope, but I still don't take offence at what was said. Should we all complain about everything we don't agree with that is broadcast on the BBC, football related or not?

It's more to do with the fact that our tax money is paying him to have a national platform to mock Durranty's injury.

I suspect you know that though and are being slightly obtuse, though you do have a point, albeit slightly irrelevant.

Nope, but I still don't take offence at what was said. Should we all complain about everything we don't agree with that is broadcast on the BBC, football related or not?

Casey I don't think the point is whether each and every individual fan finds what was said offensive.

I think the point is that it fell well below the standards we all have every right to expect from our public service broadcaster.

What about when you are at a rangers v aberdeen game, home or away. Does it disgust you then when they sing about it?

To all those who are getting on their high horse over this, do you laugh at the comedians who make various jokes about tsunamis, earthquakes, Michael Jackson etc. etc?

Poor taste, but that's it.

Do you have an example of a BBC presenter telling such jokes?

Casey I don't think the point is whether each and every individual fan finds what was said offensive.

I think the point is that it fell well below the standards we all have every right to expect from our public service broadcaster.

That's fair enough if someone is complaining for that reason and they are consistent. Let's be honest here, if this had been a dig at a player from another team there would have been nowt said on here, unless it was to have a laugh.

What about when you are at a rangers v aberdeen game, home or away. Does it disgust you then when they sing about it?

No, and if it does you, I'd suggest that you don't understand the mentality of football fans. Winding up the opposition is part and parcel of the game, no matter that the pc brigade attempt to put at end to it.

No, and if it does you, I'd suggest that you don't understand the mentality of football fans. Winding up the opposition is part and parcel of the game, no matter that the pc brigade attempt to put at end to it.

I agree we all know that , this little keech always comes out with this sort of thing,