BBC's Stuart Cosgrove Indirectly Mocks Ian Durrant Injury

Senna

so when he called us ORANGE WANKERS there was no malicious intent

I didn't see that quoted in the OP

Did he say that as well ?

That's the only thing I was talking about.

He might well be anti-Rangers, but that's still no reason to get wound up by everything he says.

Yes, it was wrong, but it's a live show and shit happens.

I'd like to think we have thicker skins than the great unwashed.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it is a charge for a service.

Your comments about avoiding income tax make no sense, I cannot refuse to pay income tax by not using the services for which it pays.

Why is it so important to you to imagine that it is a tax when it obviously isn't?

Exactly how does the licence fee pay for the services provided by ITV, Sky etc.?

You cannot avoid paying the licence fee by not

watching BCC broadcasts. The only way of avoiding it is not to own a television. If you owned a television and kept it switched off all year you would still be liable to the fee. It's a hypothecated tax. In fact, if you look up the term "hypothecated tax" you'll probably find television licence fees given as the example.

I could watch every channel provided by Sky (if I was daft enough to pay them) ITV and any other cable channel that's out there - and not watch "one fucking second" of the BBC pish - yet I'm still obliged to pay these BBC pricks £145.50p a year for the privilege of NOT fucking using their services.

ITV don't charge me - nor does Ch4 or Ch5 - and I can get free-view channels to my wee heart's content and not watch ONE-FUCKING-SECOND of the BBC pish - yet still the bastards charge me.

Tell me how that's not a tax by any other name?

Oh - and feel free to use your dazzling logic. :sherlock:

actually a lot of the licence fee is used for upkeep of the network infrastructure, not programming.

Exactly how does the licence fee pay for the services provided by ITV, Sky etc.?

watching BCC broadcasts. The only way of avoiding it is not to own a television. If you owned a television and kept it switched off all year you would still be liable to the fee. It's a hypothecated tax. In fact, if you look up the term "hypothecated tax" you'll probably find television licence fees given as the example.

Wrong and wrong. (tu)

Wrong and wrong. (tu)

Wrong and right, actually - I did simplify a bit by ignoring the iplayer etc issue. However, if you own a television that is "installed" - i.e. capable of receiving broadcast TV (rather than just used as a monitor or watching DVDs) you have to pay a licence fee regardless of whether you ever switch it on.

As for it being a payment for services, the BBC's own site states -

"A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment (e.g. TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders) to watch or record television programmes, as they are being shown on TV. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC".

Wrong and right, actually - I did simplify a bit by ignoring the iplayer etc issue. However, if you own a television that is "installed" - i.e. capable of receiving broadcast TV (rather than just used as a monitor or watching DVDs) you have to pay a licence fee regardless of whether you ever switch it on.

As for it being a payment for services, the BBC's own site states -

"A TV Licence is a legal permission to install or use television receiving equipment (e.g. TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders) to watch or record television programmes, as they are being shown on TV. This applies regardless of which television channels a person receives or how those channels are received. The licence fee is not a payment for BBC services (or any other television service), although licence fee revenue is used to fund the BBC".

Fuck sake the arsehole went for a cheap laugh and a response and he managed to get it. Why do people listen to him if they know he is going to say things that will annoy them? Its like a big fat ugly burd sitting in the front row of a Roy Chubby Brown gig and then getting offended because he picked on her. Turn it off when he comes on. We are supposedly boycotting the BBC anyway :P

A decade past, Cosgrove and Cowan hosted their twice Saturday 'On the Ball' and 'Off the Ball' shows. It was the day Rangers thrashed St Mirren 7-1 and young Kenny Miller scored five goals. Before the match, Cosgrove introduced their guest, the Editor of the St Mirren 'zine, 'Where the Creatures Meet'. Immediately, he launched into a rant about stopping a Rangers Shop opening in Paisley for the six week Christmas build up. The campaign was entitled, 'Stop the Shop, Stop Bigotry'.

Cosgrove got right behind the campaign, continually repeating the phrase throughout the programme. Further, he reinforced the campaign by setting a competition to win a t-shirt if the listenership could suggest the content of written messages attatched to bricks to be lobbed through the window of said shop. Cowan thought the proximity of Guy Fawkes night might give listeners other ideas. Incredible, isn't it?

After the game, said Editor failed to trap; obviously the score was too much to bear. No problems, Cosgrove and Cowan ploughed on in the same vein, 'Stop the Shop, Stop Bigotry' was spat with even more venom. They read out the inane and purile suggestions for those message tags attatched to lobbed bricks. There was NO dissent.

The campaign failed in that the Rangers Shop opened to provide a service to Renfrewshire Bears. In the 7 weeks it traded, the windows were panned in on six occasions. There was an attempted arson attempt too. On one occasion, a member of the shop staff, an undergraduate girl was showered in broken glass and received hospital treatment at the A and E.

Cosgrove should have been prosecuted for incitement. He is a Phd holding senior broadcaster, sitting on the Board of numerous utility companies, who continually loses his discipline on matters Rangers.

it could only be a hypothecated tax if it were a tax though.

Why does it matter so much what label is applied to this charge?

I could watch every channel provided by Sky (if I was daft enough to pay them) ITV and any other cable channel that's out there - and not watch "one fucking second" of the BBC pish - yet I'm still obliged to pay these BBC pricks £145.50p a year for the privilege of NOT fucking using their services.

ITV don't charge me - nor does Ch4 or Ch5 - and I can get free-view channels to my wee heart's content and not watch ONE-FUCKING-SECOND of the BBC pish - yet still the bastards charge me.

Tell me how that's not a tax by any other name?

Oh - and feel free to use your dazzling logic. :sherlock:

It's a service charge because you need to pay it to use those services.

Don't use them, don't pay it.

It's completely voluntary.

Why is it so important to you to imagine that it is a tax?