Alan Hansen "coloured players"

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So saying that is racist ? I wonder what else is considered racist that I should know.

you can call a white person anything you please and its never racist (tu) a fucking irish wwe star had a gimmick consisting of the fans calling him a "human jar of mayo" for example. if you were to try this sort of thing with a non white personaltiy it would not be tolerated. :rolleyes:

Absolutely correct. Pathetic, isn’t it?

It's certainly irritating. I'm all for people being treated with respect and equality but stupid shit like this, for me, just sets everything back. I pray that I don't awaken to a shitstorm about this. People can hate Hansen for whatever reason they like but trying to pin this on him

Is ludicrous.

Seriously is this even an issue?

True racism should be tackled and eradicated however getting our knickers in a twist about every comment that might be construed as 'offensive' is starting to get really tiresome.

Well said. Complaining about stuff like this only sets back the fight against proper racism

you can call a white person anything you please and its never racist (tu) a fucking irish wwe star had a gimmick consisting of the fans calling him a "human jar of mayo" for example. if you were to try this sort of thing with a non white personaltiy it would not be tolerated. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of years ago of the 1st black guy who became a mate of our crowd, he got mugged one night in Maryhill and came into the pub and told us he had just been mugged, we were all ragin' and one of my mates asked him if he would recognize who mugged him, and he replied " naw awe youze white honky's all look the same to me" fucking brilliant, we were all pissing ourselves for ages.

It was clearly not meant in an offensive or racist way but the fact is that words change meanings over time. I don't know if people became uncomfortable with the usage of the word coloured because of its association with segregation (coloured drinking fountains, coloured cafes, coloured bus seats etc) but, much like negro which was once the preferred term for a black person, it is now old-fashioned and generally accepted (at least by most people) as kind of off-colour, if you'll excuse the pun. Not terribly offensive, not a disgusting, sackable offence, but kind of cringe-inducing and the sort of thing that makes people do what Lee Dixon does with his eyes there.

Yeah, isn't life so terribly hard as a white male? Can't do anything any more, but we just get bullied by everybody. Especially coloureds :disappointment:

Where's the MOWO Awards? That's what I want to know. It's political correctness gone mad. You couldn't make it up.

It was clearly not meant in an offensive or racist way but the fact is that words change meanings over time. I don't know if people became uncomfortable with the usage of the word coloured because of its association with segregation (coloured drinking fountains, coloured cafes, coloured bus seats etc) but, much like negro which was once the preferred term for a black person, it is now old-fashioned and generally accepted (at least by most people) as kind of off-colour, if you'll excuse the pun. Not terribly offensive, not a disgusting, sackable offence, but kind of cringe-inducing and the sort of thing that makes people do what Lee Dixon does with his eyes there.

(tu)

Nothing will come of it, hopefully.

It was not malicious and no harm was intended. More of a faux pas.

It'd be ridiculous to give him any real punishment over this. Purely a case of him using an outdated term, I imagine a lot of people his age will do the same. My mum mistakingly uses the term "coloured" as she thinks thats not offensive but she believes using the term "black" is offensive which actually was the case when she was younger.

How was it not racist then go call a black guy coloured and see what happens to you and don't tell me to fuck up if you don't agree say why that's the point of a forum.

:lol:

There's a difference between walking up to a black guy and calling him coloured and innocently using it as a term for black people. One would be pre-meditated the other isn't.

It was a daft choice of word but in the context of what he was saying it wasn't used in an offensive way

Surely you are smart enough to realise this?

Just an ill judged use of an out date term, there will be some who will want him sacked though.

The man never meant any offence whatsoever but in this hypersensitive day and age , people in the media and on television in particular must choose their words with the greatest of care.

Doubly so on live television.

As unfair as it would be , I wouldn't surprise me to see him fired over this :disappointment:

:lol:

There's a difference between walking up to a black guy and calling him coloured and innocently using it as a term for black people. One would be pre-meditated the other isn't.

It was a daft choice of word but in the context of what he was saying it wasn't used in an offensive way

Surely you are smart enough to realise this?

I do understand what your saying yes and I'm also not offended by what Alan Hanson said.either but in a week were two major stars were charged with racism its stupid to put yourself in that position particularly using a word that most blacks find offensive to them.