Alan Hansen "coloured players"

The man never meant any offence whatsoever but in this hypersensitive day and age , people in the media and on television in particular must choose their words with the greatest of care.

Doubly so on live television.

As unfair as it would be , I wouldn't surprise me to see him fired over this :disappointment:

Good post (tu)

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone see the guy holding a dog up in the air when Sunderland scored? Must of been a guide dog, but I was gutting myself watching it being held aloft in celebration.

I saw that, if that was a guide dog, it was must be a pretty feckin good one to tell its owner Sunderland had scored cos they were jumpin up and down :lol:

I do understand what your saying yes and I'm also not offended by what Alan Hanson said.either but in a week were two major stars were charged with racism its stupid to put yourself in that position particularly using a word that most blacks find offensive to them.

get a feckin grip, Hansen comes from an era where you were told to call black people Coloured. Back in the 70s there were many names for black people and society was told to stop using them and call them coloured. One of the words society was told to stop using was black. If you spend 20 years calling black people coloured lets see how easy it is to slip up again by calling them coloured again.

How do you think you will be in 30 years time if we are told to stop using the word black, after a whole lifetime of using the word black dont you think you might just slip up? Hansen should be taken aside and told to stop using the word coloured, nothing else should happen. Anyone offended can GTF.

Pathetic argument, you should stand as an SNP MSP.

It is disappointing that the word "coloured" would even come into Hansen's mind when discussing the issue of people with a different skin colour to his own. We're all "coloured" - I myself am a particularly fetching light pink.

If you can't see the problem with what Hansen said, then there is still a fair bit of education to be done. (Although I respect your right to live in the dark ages as the rest of the world moves forward.)

Indeed, some of you denying the right of others to be offended by the term "coloured" are quick enough to reserve your right to be offended by the "h" word.

Making examples of those that use racist language (like Suarez) does have an element of unfairness, but perhaps there is a also greater purpose served.

Assuming that he was talking not just about black people but about Asian people, what should he have said? It seems (I've only watched that clip) that he's saying it's great that football has moved on and their are lots of *insert non-offensive term for people who aren't caucasian here* players playing here and it just shouldn't be an issue.

What term should he have used? Non-white? Black and Asian (would that be offensive to non-white, non-black, non-Asian players)?

Assuming that he was talking not just about black people but about Asian people, what should he have said? It seems (I've only watched that clip) that he's saying it's great that football has moved on and their are lots of *insert non-offensive term for people who aren't caucasian here* players playing here and it just shouldn't be an issue.

What term should he have used? Non-white? Black and Asian (would that be offensive to non-white, non-black, non-Asian players)?

"People with different skin colours."

or

"People from different ethnic backgrounds."

or simply rephrase what he was saying so he could refer to

"People."

Normally I'd say you speak sense Boss but on this one I'll disagree. Hansen grew up in a generation where the term 'Coloured' was the correct pc term, its not his fault, or even others if they aren't aware thats not the current correct pc term. I've heard many people use the term 'Coloured' before and when I do, sometimes I'll correct them and state the correct pc term now is 'black' I still cannot see why its an issue. I use the term 'Black' as that is the correct pc term while I've grown up, I've heard lots of older people use the term 'Coloured' including family and friends. Not even a slight bit of racism, they actually think their being pc!

This reminds me of last year I used to work with a lovely, but dumb mother******. I used the term 'Black' to describe a person, one colleague intervened and quickly told me I shouldn't be using the term 'Black' as its racial and the correct phrase is 'Coloured'. I must admit, I was confused and really did doubt myself. There was a third person in the room and we asked him, he said the term 'Black' was racist, as was the term 'Coloured', he then continued to proudly and efficiently educate us both that the correct current pc term was 'African American' LMAO!! Yeah, all three of us are White, born, raised, live and work in Scotland :craphead:

"People with different skin colours."

or

"People from different ethnic backgrounds."

or simply rephrase what he was saying so he could refer to

"People."

To be honest, I think the intent in what he said was clear, and it's a bloody shame that his unfortunate (apparently) choice of words is highlighted and offence taken, rather than the fact that what he was saying was right. He was sticking up for "people with different skin colours" and stating that racism is unacceptable. For his poor (apparently) choice of words, that is seeing him labelled racist.

I work with a lot of older guys and they tell me I can't use the work "black" as it's racist, they still say coloured!

The older generation have not been told that "coloured" is not acceptable now!

This 'older generation' need told quite a lot of things, this is certainly one of them.

For his poor (apparently) choice of words, that is seeing him labelled racist.

To be fair, I haven't condemned Hansen for using the word - I've merely said it was disappointing that the word even came into his head.

Normally I'd say you speak sense Boss but on this one I'll disagree. Hansen grew up in a generation where the term 'Coloured' was the correct pc term, its not his fault, or even others if they aren't aware thats not the current correct pc term.

I also grew up in a similar generation to Hansen. I know the difference. So should he.

Actually, he is well aware that he should not have used the word - he is a media pundit on the BBC and he has been advised on what is, and is not, acceptable. It would be naive to believe otherwise.

I'm sure he already regrets using the word and knows himself that he shouldn't have done so.

To be fair, I haven't condemned Hansen for using the word - I've merely said it was disappointing that the word even came into his head.

Yeah, I didn't mean you'd condemned him as racist, apologies if that's how it came across. He's being pilloried in the press (apparently, I've only read this thread) as a racist when he was denouncing racism, albeit using an out-of-date term.

I work with a lot of older guys and they tell me I can't use the work "black" as it's racist, they still say coloured!

The older generation have not been told that "coloured" is not acceptable now!

Correct, in the 70s we were told not to use the word black but to say coloured. To call anyone from that era a racist for using the word coloured is Salmondspeak. To call them ignorant is alos unfair, many people of that era just live a separate life from black people and genuinly dont know things have changed.