Daniel Cousin or?

garycassidy1802

Daniel Cousin  

271 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be happy if we signed him?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rangers are closing in on a deal for former striker Daniel Cousin, STV understands.

The Gabon international held further discussions with club officials and Rangers manager Ally McCoist on Wednesday. The Ibrox club are considering a contract offer for the remainder of the Scottish Premier League season.

Cousin, who played for Rangers from 2007 to 2008, is a free agent after finishing a contract with Sapins FC in his native Gabon. He ended a three-month short-term deal at the end of December.

He would not require a work permit to complete the move as he holds a French passport.

The 35-year-old striker had taken on the role at Sapins to ensure a place in Gabon’s squad for the Africa Cup of Nations. Cousin played in four matches in the continental competition, scoring in a 3-2 win against Morocco.

Rangers could have the player registered in time for this weekend’s match against Dunfermline but the Scottish Football Association have confirmed that Cousin still has a one-match suspension to serve dating back to his previous spell at Ibrox.

A sending off against Celtic in his final match before moving to Hull means that the striker would sit out the next SPL match after his registration is filed.

I am no fan of Whytes but this situation is down to one man, the same man who played Little and Kerkar as our front pairing.

He had all summer, he had the month of January and now it comes to this.

4 years ago I thought Cousin was superb (when he could be bothered), but he has a screw loose, he will get sent off either through his own stupidity or through defenders conning referees.

Winning this league is going to be hard enough, but we will need 11 players on the pitch.

If he sorts his attitude and gets himself fit then I don't see why this isn't a good option until the end of the season. He's a good big strong striker who doesn't let defenders bully him. I know he is older now but our options are pretty limited up front. He might even be a good super sub coming on late when defenders are goosed.

Remember how may of us, including myself reckoned sdow was too old to play for us. :uk:

Better than nothing as many people have said. I would rather go into an old firm game with cousin up front on his own than Healy on his own anyway. No one has bullied the Celtic defence in recent years like cousin did. A front 3 of cousin with aluko and a fully fit mervan either side of him could be interesting

Better than nothing as many people have said. I would rather go into an old firm game with cousin up front on his own than Healy on his own anyway. No one has bullied the Celtic defence in recent years like cousin did. A front 3 of cousin with aluko and a fully fit mervan either side of him could be interesting

I'm foaming at the gub thinking about it.

I don't really think we should use Healy Kerkar and Little as the level at which we measure all future Rangers strikers. However if you want to do that, I have a bag of potatoes in the kitchen which would far exceed what any of them do in a match when placed anywhere on the pitch :)

"Even if Rangers won SPL and got to last 16 of Champions League I would still rather be down in Hull ...

Alison McConnell

16 Oct 2008

DANIEL COUSIN will cheer as loudly as any Ibrox fan if Rangers win the SPL title this season.

DANIEL COUSIN will cheer as loudly as any Ibrox fan if Rangers win the SPL title this season.

He'll follow the results in Glasgow from his new base in Hull but he won't feel a pang of regret if he isn't at any celebration parties at the end of the season.

Daniel disbelief at Boyd retiral

DANIEL COUSIN today admitted that he was shocked to hear the news that Kris Boyd had retired from international duty.

The 24-year-old walked away from the national team after being incensed at not featuring in the 0-0 draw against Norway at Hampden on Saturday.

But Cousin, who played alongside Boyd at Ibrox, was reluctant to voice an opinion on why his former team-mate doesn't get the starts he clearly feels he merits on a regular basis.

"I was a little bit surprised when I heard," he said. "Kris is a very good striker. I don't think there is anyone who doesn't think that.

"It is not for me to say why the coach doesn't start him in games more often for Rangers or for Scotland.

"It is for a manager not a player to talk about that.

"His goal scoring record is excellent and I think Scotland will be sorry that he is not available any more."

The Gabon international never hid his desire to break away from Ibrox.

His proposed move to Fulham collapsed amid a tangle of red tape last January and just when it looked as though he would remain at Rangers for another stint, Hull came in to hand him his desired ticket to the Premiership.

And, while it may appear shocking to some, the striker would rather be playing for unfancied Hull than turning out for Rangers in the elite company of the Champions League or celebrating a title triumph.

The Premiership side have a stadium that holds just 25,000 fans - half the capacity of Ibrox - yet Cousin won't be caught peering over his shoulder at the club he has just left.

"I would like to see Rangers win the Scottish title this season," said Cousin. "We came so close to doing that last season but in the end we just lost out to Celtic and it was down to the number of games the club had. I hope they get it this season.

"But if they were to win the SPL this season and get straight into the Champions League - and maybe even into the last 16 of the competition - I wouldn't regret my move to Hull City.

"I would still want to be here rather than at Rangers because this is the league that I want to play in.

"I am really enjoying it. It was always an ambition of mine to play in the Premiership because I think it is one of the best leagues in the world.

"I think everybody would accept that."

Cousin, who scored 13 goals for Rangers, played just one minute of football for the club at the beginning of the new campaign before starting in the first Old Firm game of the season - his final appearance for Walter Smith's side.

He left Rangers the morning after the 4-2 win at Parkhead in which he not only scored but caused all sorts of chaos with his physical presence powering through Celtic's backline.

There was little chance for him to bask in the glory of a victory that many anticipated being the springboard for Rangers to garner the required self-belief and confidence to go on and win the championship.

The striker scored against Celtic knowing that it was his sign-off to Rangers and while he believes the Premiership is the perfect showcase for his talents, he has admitted that there is little at Hull to compare with an Old Firm derby.

"I knew then that I was probably going and that it would be my last game for Rangers," he said. "It was the perfect way for me to finish off my Rangers career.

"It was a brilliant performance and it felt good to score.

"I love the Premiership and I am looking forward to so many big games this season, but I would have to say that the Old Firm derby is as big as any match down here.

"It was a good experience for me to play in those games because they are so well known all over the world. I scored in the game we lost 3-2 at Parkhead so it was nice to score in a game we went on to win.

"I was disappointed that I was sent off but getting the goal and getting the win was a special thing for me."

Hull have made a better start to life in the Premiership that anyone would truly have anticipated.

Manager Phil Brown won the Manager of the Month award in September after Hull beat Arsenal, Spurs and Newcastle and Cousin, of course, hit the headlines when he scored the winner in the Emirates Stadium.

The pressures of being an Old Firm player are well documented but Cousin has insisted that he is under just as much scrutiny at Hull as he ever was at Rangers.

The striker, often criticised for not playing unless it was the big occasion, is determined to keep Hull in England's top flight and believes that task is as difficult as the one he was handed at Ibrox.

"At Rangers there was pressure to win every game and there was a lot of intensity when you were a Rangers player," he said. "But it isn't that different at Hull.

"There is still a lot of pressure at the club.

"It isn't that we are expected by the fans to go and win every game, but we are expected to stay in the Premiership. We have to stay up in the top flight and that in itself is a different pressure.

"But I have settled really well here. I am happy.

"The style isn't all that different from Scotland because it is fast and there isn't much time on the ball.

"My highlight so far has been the goal against Arsenal. It was such a great day for us.

"We played very well and I am sure that we made people take a bit of notice of us with that result. It gave me confidence and I feel that I can do well in this league.

"I have always wanted the chance to play here and I am enjoying it."

"

Voted yes. He can be a good player when he tries, hopefully his attitude will be alot better this time. We need an extra option upfront so a deal to the end of the season isn't a bad idea.

Smacks of desperation. But we are desperate right now. Looked bit unfit playing for Gabon & at 35 may well be past it. BUT i remember him ragdolloing the tarriers all over the place 1st time round and if signed he may well do it again.

Precisely, I think even if Cousin wasn't 100%, he'd be a worthwhile signing to sit on the bench and come on every game at the 75minute mark and bully tired defenders, I think he'd even be worth the risk for that, any extra body in the striking area I believe is a step forward, especially one in the shape of Cousin.

That's what worries me - the shape of Cousin!