Brian Kennedy talks about a possible takeover

the goal machine

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about the top article on that McCann files site mate. Article has no date and the second sentence is - "He's amassed a £3250m fortune, owns houses, planes, boats, even a title-winning rugby team".

Looks to me like someone has added a zero to this guy's "fortune" for that article.

I have zero issues with the man, but we shouldn't make the mistake of thinking he's a billionaire with shit loads of money to spend on us.

laugh.gif see what you did there wink.gif

I think we need to review how we're run.

We need someone who can spent a wee bit on a scouting network. Once that's set up, we should be looking to sign good young players for small wages and sell them for a profit regularly. We'd need a manager that would allow the players to express themselves with an attractive brand of football and build a reputation at least Britain-wide.

We need to get this whole 'we're not a selling club' nonchalance out our mindset. Only Barca, Madrid and Man City aren't 'selling' clubs any more.

As far as I can see, the business plan above is the only realistic way to survive.

I Think there is very little wrong with either our scouting network - or our youth set up. (In fact last year there was a great article/interview in the Daily Record with the Scotland youth coaches and said what great work went on at Rangers and what a great set up Murray Park was, including comments about how good Walter and the coaching team were!)) and IMHO there is no overhaul needed.

Where we 'fail' (which is the wrong word and is to strong) is that we all feel that we should have had more players break through from the system but strangely enough the reason for that is two fold: 1. Our expectations and fans and 2. our large players wage budget. With a large budget and extremely high expectations we have always supplemented our team buy buying in experience and that leads to less game time for the kids breaking through. (Teams with good youth set ups like St Johnstone, Motherwell and St Mirren can give these players first team time as they have no other option budget wise and no clamour from the fans for sucess and can afford patience - a luxuary no Rangers manager has ever had). I think it does not take a genius to see that we have had more younger players coming through over the last year or so based on the fact we have cut costs and if there is a silver lining to this whole current mess it is the fact we will have to give these kids more game time as we work within stricter budgets. This mess may create the opportunity time these kids need - now all we need to do is educate the supporters that developing kids takes time and they need space to make mistakes, have off days and develop as players!

I Think there is very little wrong with either our scouting network - or our youth set up. (In fact last year there was a great article/interview in the Daily Record with the Scotland youth coaches and said what great work went on at Rangers and what a great set up Murray Park was, including comments about how good Walter and the coaching team were!)) and IMHO there is no overhaul needed.

Where we 'fail' (which is the wrong word and is to strong) is that we all feel that we should have had more players break through from the system but strangely enough the reason for that is two fold: 1. Our expectations and fans and 2. our large players wage budget. With a large budget and extremely high expectations we have always supplemented our team buy buying in experience and that leads to less game time for the kids breaking through. (Teams with good youth set ups like St Johnstone, Motherwell and St Mirren can give these players first team time as they have no other option budget wise and no clamour from the fans for sucess and can afford patience - a luxuary no Rangers manager has ever had). I think it does not take a genius to see that we have had more younger players coming through over the last year or so based on the fact we have cut costs and if there is a silver lining to this whole current mess it is the fact we will have to give these kids more game time as we work within stricter budgets. This mess may create the opportunity time these kids need - now all we need to do is educate the supporters that developing kids takes time and they need space to make mistakes, have off days and develop as players!

Fully agrre with what you say. It is not lack of young talent that is the problem. Playing in a league where to finish second is failure gives our manager no room for error. The pressure to win the league every year ultimately means that for as long as we continue in the Scottish League, we will be a buying club looking for instant success.

We need to be a better run club and for that to happen we need to stop paying excessive wages to players who do not warrant them, we need to be better at identifying younger talent through scouting and we need to make sure any player with any sort of talent is given a proper run in the team to show what he can do. Both will save and potentially earn the club millions and they cannot be ignored.

Times have changed and I know you love always being the token positive guy, but to even try to argue that things don't need to change is absolute madness.

Fully agrre with what you say. It is not lack of young talent that is the problem. Playing in a league where to finish second is failure gives our manager no room for error. The pressure to win the league every year ultimately means that for as long as we continue in the Scottish League, we will be a buying club looking for instant success.

Disagree.

Clus like Barcelona, Man Utd & Ajax are clubs who's supporters have expectations that match ours but they don't use it as a crutch and excuse to neglect their youth players. Infact is it a coincidence that these clubs have had their most success when the core of the team has been built around homegrown players and/or players who were supporters of the club and know what it means to pull that shirt on?

We simply cannot carry on as a buying club. With the SPL at its lowest every ebb it's becoming more difficult to attract the finished article without over paying for them.

Administration has allowed us the opportunity to hit the reset button and smart scouting and youth development are going to be key to our future. I'll be disappointed and baffled if we go back to the overspending that we have seen over the past decade or so because we have already shown that it isn't sustainable for a long period of time.

You do not need a near 30 million poind wage bill to beat 10 SPL teams and outwit Neil Lennon four times a season.

Has he supported Rangers since he was a boy? :sherlock:

You obviously dont know the guy. He's a Hibby :sherlock:

Never heard of Brian Kennedy up until few days ago when i read the stockport county fans thread.

What is his background in business anyone?

He's the Weatherseal guy. You know, the window replacement empire which included Everest(breaks into Ted Moult voice) "Fit The Best, Fit Everest"

He was also a keen rugby player in his early years, hence why he bought into Sale Sharks, and made them a success, but he done the same with Stockport County without much success.

He's a big Hibs fan. Goes to their games when he's in Edinburgh. He has tried twice to buy them from Farmer, around 10 years ago, but been knocked back on both occasions.

What, like banning the bastards at the BBC?

Funny....the present guy did that and got pelters from some sources. :sherlock:

Whereas others were prepared to turn a blind eye to the allegations made, in order to further their own aims, even once the truth started to come out.

Rangers first my arse.