Platini considering scrapping Europa League for 64 team Champions League

Dont know if this is a good or bad thing. Thoughts?

Platini considering scrapping Europa League in favour of extending Champions League - report

The 56-year-old is understood to be planning on widening Europe's premier club competition to 64 teams, but at the cost of the secondary tournament, which could be defunct by 2016

Uefa president Michel Platini has contemplated the idea of scrapping the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League to 64 teams in four years time, according to Bild.

In what would be the biggest shake-up in Europe's club competitions since the rebranding of the European Cup to its current form in 1992, the former France midfielder is reportedly planning on creating a single continental tournament.

Currently, the secondary competition generates far lower revenue for clubs than is produced by the Champions League, a problem Platini is increasingly concerned about, while it has been a target for much criticism since its evolution from the Uefa Cup in 2009.

To address this, Platini wants to increase the number of teams in the Champions League group stage to 64 teams in 2016, effectively absorbing most of the clubs from the Europa League.

Renowned European nations such as Spain, England and Germany would then be given six league berths each in their respective top-flight divisions.

In addition, the reform would ensure more scope would be given to lesser countries, including those from the likes of Latvia, Belarus and Slovakia

Call it the European Cup again, please. How many of the teams in it are actually champions anymore?

Believe it or not im sure the last all Champions, champions leauge group was us, Barca, Stuttgart and Lyon. It was defo us who ahd an all champions group but its the last one i remember

Believe it or not im sure the last all Champions, champions leauge group was us, Barca, Stuttgart and Lyon. It was defo us who ahd an all champions group but its the last one i remember

Was that not during Strachan's years? We didn't win while he was in charge until after the Manchester season. The other three were champions I think.

Was that not during Strachan's years? We didn't win while he was in charge until after the Manchester season. The other three were champions I think.

Aww fuck aye mate. Maybe the Man u, Panathinakos and Stuttgart season? Im sure we had a group of all champions which included us.

Natural evolution of the competition slowly edging towards a full time European league. Not too long before we see the big guns playing full time in a Euro league with a 'b-team' competing domestically. A great move that will see domestic leagues all over Europe becoming competitive and no longer dominated by 2-3 teams.

He needs to scrap the whole cooeficient and seeding system for one which has a faire level playing field.

Knockout is much more prefferable and competative.The old European Cup gave other Clubs a chance and didnt favour the so called super clubs of today, where the rich get richer. and the poor get poorer.

Sounds a pathetic idea. I actually quite like the Europa League. Some of the games are fantastic. Bilbao's games against Man U and Shalke have been 4 of the best games I have seen all season. Keep it as it is I say

Both the CL and Europa league need serious revamping as they are losing appeal, whether this is the best idea I aint got a clue.

Oh for the days of the European Cup, ECWC and UEFA cup when European football was interesting and the cups could be won by lesser nations.

Keep the Europa League but stop 3rd place clubs from the Champions League from dropping into it after the group stages.

Only cheapens the competition as some sort of booby-prize.

in terms of finances then the smaller teams will likely make more out of this 64 team CL, instead of a miserly 5million playing in the europa league you may get 10mill tops in a more expanded champions league

but once the big teams get wind that their pot will be diluted throughout the diddy clubs, they wont be happy and will likely oppose it

The idea that it would 'absorb most of the teams from the Europa League', when that really means, 'absorb more teams from the top countries', is pathetic.

Does anyone remember the days when clubs like Dynamo Kiev and Red Star Belgrade were names that could frighten you, Anderlecht, Benfica, etc?

UEFA are (in conjunction with the top countries) creating a huge unsustainable bubble which is heading towards bursting, their recent 'fair play' rules, and now this idea are just purely designed to try and keep the current top teams clinging to the summit for as long as they can.

You have to take a step back and think of the money. It would have to be massive increase in sponsorship monies to produce the same takings for the big guys, with another 32 teams added to the pot.

Unless the big money was kept for the quarters, semis and final. So therefore the big guns would still get the lions share.

Or the extra teams would go into a larger qualifying for the league sections and therefore not technically in the CL until then.

Not a good idea IMO will just be the same story of the top teams using the lesser trams as target practice till the quarter finals, Europa league isn't great but it's good for lesser teams to get a shot at glory