*** The Official London 2012 Thread ***

Why would athletes competing for themselves instead of for flimsily constructed nations be so absurd? Personally I liked the Olympics but found the constant references to the medal table a bit unpleasant.

It would be much more like the Olympic Spirit or whatever trite phrase you want to use if we got away from the obsession with flags and anthems and stuff really. Unnecessary.

This post has made me realise that the London Olympic Games was even better than I first thought. :uk:

Why would athletes competing for themselves instead of for flimsily constructed nations be so absurd? Personally I liked the Olympics but found the constant references to the medal table a bit unpleasant.

It would be much more like the Olympic Spirit or whatever trite phrase you want to use if we got away from the obsession with flags and anthems and stuff really. Unnecessary.

Unpleasant? Did you have Ant & Dec gunge you everytime it came up?

Who would watch athletes competing for only themselves? The Olympics, sport even, is made special and memorable by the fans feeling part of it. 'Imagine there's no countries....' well Mo Farah, Jess Ennis and Greg Rutherford all winning gold within a few hours of each other becomes meaningless.It's been described as the best night in British sporting history but without 'flimsily constructed nations' it's just three random individuals that nobody gives a shit about.

The majority of Brits that competed at the the Olympics came from the same culture that we're part of, with the same opportunities as every one of us. We can relate to these people. They grew up in our communities, use the same sports centres we do, are funded through lottery money we contribute to in a society with a sporting structure that a lot of us have been involved in in some way.

And the one nation idea - yes, all very nice in theory, but wouldn't life become emotionless and dull? If the people of Earth do all come together, with Imagine as the national anthem, then we'll just be looking to beat the nearest bunch of aliens when they come along. Man's competitive instinct means we need different nations.