Paul Gascoigne

Troubled football legend Paul Gascoigne has spoken for the first time about the booze binge that landed him back in rehab.

The ex-England star spent six days in The Priory last month and admitted sinking back into drink.

But he insisted the situation had not reached the depths of his previous relapses and says his return to the bottle was a short-term “blip”.

The 45-year-old, who has endured a long battle with alcohol, admitted drinking cans of strong Stella lager during a 19-day bender.

He also bought a bottle of gin to help him sleep – although he says he stuck to beers in the end.

Emotional: Paul Gascoigne in1990

Getty

Gazza said: “Because I hadn’t had a drink for 19 months I was p****d after two cans, so I couldn’t have drunk loads even if I’d wanted to.”

But he insisted reports of him boozing in Dubai recently were wide of the mark.

He told a Sunday newspaper: “I’d just beaten this lad at pool and he put a pint in my hand. I passed it to my pal Jimmy, but it was too late – this lad had already taken a photo so I was screwed.

“I was supposed to stay in Dubai for two weeks but as soon as I realised people were out to stitch us up, I came home six days early.

“And I thought, ‘If they’re going to say I’ve been drinking, I might as well get hammered.’”

Detox: The Priory

The binge prompted him to ask pals for help.

And he returned to The Priory in London where he was treated before.

He explained: “In the past, I’ve had treatment for four or six weeks but this time I booked myself in for six days and, to be fair, I could’ve left after three because I wasn’t that bad. All I needed was to detox, have a good rest and think about where I’d gone wrong.”

Gazza, famous for his tears after England’s Italia 90 World Cup semi-final penalties defeat, is now spending time with his family in his native North East and admits rehab has saved him from an early grave.

He added: “After a relapse it can be a hard climb – but it’s better to make that climb than ending up in wooden box and that’s exactly where I’d be now if I hadn’t asked for help.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/paul-gazza-gascoignes-booze-binge-1269675

Looks a totally different guy :(

Pished on two cans, ahhhh how they were the days.

Read an article the other day about how he was snapped coming back from the shop with fags and alcohol in the bag, looks totally different... honestly wouldn't recognise him :(

Even from the game v St Mirren last season at Ibrox when he came on the pitch at HT, totally different guy :(

Really sad to see this is how its turning out, really hope he can sort himself out with the support he needs :(

Best wishes Paul, but I will point something out. It pisses me off that everyone wishes him well with his battle with alcoholism, but when it is bomber brown, posters on here mock him for having the same issue. :(

The abuse some ex-players get on here is shocking.

Especially dig after dig at Bombers own alcohol problems.

Definetly not the Rangers way.

Absolutely love the guy. Very much a misunderstood individual, and will possibly always have a battle to fight. People close to him were always concerned the day he would have to give up the game. His relationship with the game is unique, and fascinating.

This should also be in Bears Den.