Ally McCoist The Manager

Tiebreak54

Doesn't matter if its £7K or £1, they are superior players to every other midfield in Scotland (bar Celtic's) and at times it appears out strategy is to lump it over them to the strikers.

We are playing 3rd, 2nd and 1st division teams. We MUST be able to play better football than them.

It must have mattered or why would you have listed their wage....

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It must have mattered or why would you have listed their wage....

I used their wage to illustrate the clear gulf in quality between our highly paid midfielders, and guys who earrn peanuts and play part-time.

Bickering about what you believe their wage to be, or what you think others should believe, is really pointless in terms of this discussion.

Good post. (tu)

Interestingly, I wonder what people think about the quality of opposition we are facing? Much like Goian, I think there is a lot of presumption surrounding a lot of these teams and players. There is a difference inc class between some SPL sides and Division 3 sides but I have to say, I don't think it is the 'gulf' that it should be. I realise there are circumstances - any lower league team playing us are completely up for it and over a season, the difference between say Kilmarnock and Peterhead would show. However, on a game by game basis, I genuinely think that we are facing as tough games in Division 3 as we were at many times in the SPL. This tells you a hell of a lot about Scottish football right now

Basically, I expect better performances but I also think we have to be professional.

Yes that was a little worrying with Goain’s comments but maybe that’s because of his culture and not being a part of Scottish football for very long. I’d have thought the likes of our Scottish boys and even the NI lads would know these smaller clubs would be right in our faces and up for a battle (Cup games in the past have shown this) so there is no excuse on their part.

I was pleased Ally mentioned the effort and what to expect after the Peterhead game, I have no doubt he blasted the lads in the dressing room on our performance that day so if the players didn’t know then they do now. It’s up to the players though, they need to be ‘up for it’ otherwise just turning up and performing poorly will hurt the club and Ally…none of us want that!

I agree to an extent that the quality we are facing is not miles apart from 90% of the SPL teams we faced, but we have to remember we are playing against guys who are lucky if they train 3 times a week while having part or full time jobs outwith there clubs. We still have a squad full of internationalists and SPL class players, I expect us to stand out while playing these teams tbh.

I do believe we will get better with time, everyone at the club deserves at least that for the past 12 months or so. Hopefully the coaches, manager ect embrace this chance though to get us playing stylish football which can only help us when me move through the divisions.

Loyal or not IMO ally and the players aren't immune from criticism despite what we have gone through. We Know what's going on now , we are 5 games in and I hope we see some real improvements in both ally tactically and the players attitudes And determination because with alot of players I don't think that's been great either .

We also desperately need to work on control and technique . Falkirk shouldn't be able to play better football than us

RFC supporters also carry some form of responsibility - I can understand (to a degree) if many of these posts are prepared by tims. But the criticism of our manager by Rangers supporters is absolutely poisonous.

The time that it has taken them to prepare and written these posts, they should put that same effort into considering what Ally has had to endure, attempting to put together a football team.

I keep reading that we have had 'no pre season', well we have. The players had been training for over 6 weeks prior to the start of the season and they could have played as many training games as the management team felt was necessary. I assume people are suggesting that the lack of pre-season matches is a significant factor behind the low quality football we have witnessed, particularly away from home. Well more often than not pre-season games are generally a waste of time, just glorified kickabouts, that leave the players and the supporters feeling largely unfulfilled. 22 subs and uncompetitive football. The 'pre season' issue has been a line pedalled by managers for years in an attempt to cover up their own inadequacies and failings as a coach. This has sadly now become mainstream, and is now an acceptable/legitimate excuse for repeated poor performances at the start of the season.

As we gradually push towards winter, incompetent managers will now enter the next section of 'excuses, excuses' by bemoaning poor pitches and windy conditions as a reason why their team has performed so badly. By late March we then encounter lighter evenings and the end of the football season. Rubbish performances are then labelled 'inevitable, because the players are tired'.This is the usual spiel by managers everywhere that the supporters of respective clubs are sadly forced to endure.

*This is managers in general I am discussing, not our manager who unlike the supporters has not been stressing the lack of pre-season. Which is to his credit.

I keep reading that we have had 'no pre season', well we have. The players had been training for over 6 weeks prior to the start of the season and they could have played as many training games as the management team felt was necessary. I assume people are suggesting that the lack of pre-season matches is a significant factor behind the low quality football we have witnessed, particularly away from home. Well more often than not pre-season games are generally a waste of time, just glorified kickabouts, that leave the players and the supporters feeling largely unfulfilled. 22 subs and uncompetitive football. The 'pre season' issue has been a line pedalled by managers for years in an attempt to cover up their own inadequacies and failings as a coach. This has sadly now become mainstream, and is now an acceptable/legitimate excuse for repeated poor performances at the start of the season.

As we gradually push towards winter, incompetent managers will now enter the next section of 'excuses, excuses' by bemoaning poor pitches and windy conditions as a reason why their team has performed so badly. By late March we then encounter lighter evenings and the end of the football season. Rubbish performances are then labelled 'inevitable, because the players are tired'.This is the usual spiel by managers everywhere that the supporters of respective clubs are sadly forced to endure.

*This is managers in general I am discussing, not our manager who unlike the supporters has not been stressing the lack of pre-season. Which is too his credit.

We haven't had a pre season, to claim otherwise is simply lying.

*This is managers in general I am discussing, not our manager who unlike the supporters has not been stressing the lack of pre-season. Which is too his credit.

When you build a new team, virtually from scratch, a proper pre-season comes in handy. You say we haven't had a pre-season, that's just wrong - laughably so.

Any team, no matter how great, will have teething problems at the start as players adapt to their new surroundings and get to know their new team-mates. I remember Advocaats newly built team going 3-0 down to Shelbourne in their first game. Added to a defeat at Tynecastle and a dis-jointed performance at home to Motherwell you could say that their were some pretty significant teething problems as a result of not having a proper pre-season. Are you expecting these players to be thrown in together and to gel instantly? If so, then I'm afraid you don't understand football.

When you build a new team, virtually from scratch, a proper pre-season comes in handy. You say we haven't had a pre-season, that's just wrong - laughably so.

Any team, no matter how great, will have teething problems at the start as players adapt to their new surroundings and get to know their new team-mates. I remember Advocaats newly built team going 3-0 down to Shelbourne in their first game. Added to a defeat at Tynecastle and a dis-jointed performance at home to Motherwell you could say that their were some pretty significant teething problems as a result of not having a proper pre-season. Are you expecting these players to be thrown in together and to gel instantly? If so, then I'm afraid you don't understand football.

Fair points. However, a lack of a 'good pre season' is not an excuse for players being unable to control the ball instantly, or pass the ball to a teammate in a blue shirt. The long punts up the park, and floaters into the corner suggest that the basics are not being sufficiently covered in training. In many ways the lack of 'competitive football' in pre-season gave the manager longer than ever before to stamp his authority on the side. We have had no travel upheaval and no distractions, certainly not between the desperately short training sessions of an hour and a half. There has been a lack of professionalism at Rangers for as long as I can remember, and I desperately want that changed. I hope Charles Green is the man to identify and then fix our failing football department.

Fair points. However, a lack of a 'good pre season' is not an excuse for players being unable to control the ball instantly, or pass the ball to a teammate in a blue shirt. The long punts up the park, and floaters into the corner suggest that the basics are not being sufficiently covered in training. In many ways the lack of 'competitive football' in pre-season gave the manager longer than ever before to stamp his authority on the side. We have had no travel upheaval and no distractions, certainly not between the desperately short training sessions of an hour and a half. There has been a lack of professionalism at Rangers for as long as I can remember, and I desperately want that changed. I hope Charles Green is the man to identify and then fix our failing football department.

Dear me, you're reaching a bit there. The long punts up the park, and the floaters into the corner suggest that the players don't know each others games well enough yet so they are reverting to type. Patience is a virtue, all we need is a little time to gel properly.

It is time to finally admit what I have thought for a long time. I do not think Ally is anywhere near the standard of manager Rangers require or expect. This is not a knee jerk reaction to the latest guff served up, it is after a year of watching continuous poor and aimless football where we have shown little sign of improvement in any aspect of the game that has led me to this conclusion. The manager has struggled to stamp his philosophy on the team in any tangible way, we play a hopeful brand of football; we hope to win, but have no real idea how to make it happen. It was clear from the outset that for Ally to be successful he had to be his own man, and that meant moving away from the generally dour football Walter had us playing. He has not done that, and I struggle to see any positives in Ally as a manager.It would of course be wrong to not consider and accept that off field matters have impacted heavily on the pitch, but it can not be used to protect Ally from criticism forever, because on purely football matters, he has been average at best.

I fully accept my position on the manager is not a stance echoed by many within the support, but when will people question the manager? Winning at the level we are competing should be a given, and so therefore we are naturally looking for more. So how do we then judge the manager? Is winning enough to keep the fans happy? Does the style of play matter? Has the managers outstanding performance off the field and his rightful position as club legend made it impossible for fans to criticise him? Is this healthy for the club moving forward?

Walter Smith said that Ally had took over at the worst time in Ranger's history. A daunting challenge for even the best of managers, don't mind a rookie.

You are a disgrace. Your negative rep points to this. Have you ever posted anything positive? You don't rate Ally, sounds as if you never rated Walter either. You certainly don't rate Charles Green. Is it only Mark Dingwall you rate because that's what your increasingly infuriating posts point to wee man?

Our training methods have long been a concern, pretty much since DA left. Do we really only train for an hour and a half a day? <cr>

We always seem to be jogging in the Willie Vass pics. This is something that's a problem accross Scotland though, too much emphasis on fitness rather than tactics, technique etc.

A lack of professionalism at a club that has won 3 of the last 4 spl's got to a uefa cup final and won multiple cups..... :lol:

Keep them coming as apparently your stupidity knows no bounds.....

Our training methods have long been a concern, pretty much since DA left. Do we really only train for an hour and a half a day? <cr>

We always seem to be jogging in the Willie Vass pics. This is something that's a problem accross Scotland though, too much emphasis on fitness rather than tactics, technique etc.

I have found a good way to judge a training session is the limited amount of time the press are allowed in to take photos....still photos....

I agree to some extent about the quality of football we've been playing and I thought he was weak last season after shipping the 15pt advantage with a mere whimper from the team and no change of tactics. It also hasn't been good this season so far but I put that down to the shambolic start of only getting our licence and bringing in players a matter of days before the first game.

However, the way he carried himself following 14/2 until CG started becoming vocal means he DESERVES our support for at least this season. The quality of football will need to improve, yes, but once the team is settled I'm hoping this will come. Confidence will breed good football and that'll come once we've stretched away from the pack. :uk:

Dear me, you're reaching a bit there. The long punts up the park, and the floaters into the corner suggest that the players don't know each others games well enough yet so they are reverting to type. Patience is a virtue, all we need is a little time to gel properly.

We played long punts up the park for the majority of last season when the bulk of the side had been together for years. It is clearly a style of play our manager is happy to play. The team selections last year were nothing short of shocking last season. He consistently played Sasa Papac in midfield, when it was clear to everybody it did not work. We played numerous home games in the winter months last season, with barely a single player of invention on the pitch. They were all on the bench. He appears to be heading down the same road again.

While you are correct and in time this will improve (it has to), it infuriates me that players on thousands of pounds a week dont know the basics. This of course isnt Ally's fault. But when Whittaker can earn 20k a week you know that average players are at the top of our game.

Instead of the floating ball, and it is a floater :craphead: , I would love to see us retain possession. Heads up looking for a pass with players making themselves available. Players not to be scared to try and go past a man and not panic when an opposition player is in their face. Composure and confidence, something every player should gain after a year in this league. There are benefits to having some time out from the rat race with the scum, lets take full advantage of that. (tu)

So because that is all you see in a picture that is all we do? :lol:

A lack of professionalism at a club that has won 3 of the last 4 spl's got to a uefa cup final and won multiple cups..... :lol:

Keep them coming as apparently your stupidity knows no bounds.....

Yes a lack of professionalism that has seen us lose to Kaunus, Malmo, Maribor and Unirea, to name but a few. This has cost the club millions of pounds.