Anti football vs great defending

It was Messi that started the anti-football shite, not the media.

Rijkaard branded MON's Celtic anti-football years before Messi called us it. Below is an article from from 2004.

http://sportsillustr...otes/index.html

Rijkaard frustrated by Celtic's 'anti-football'

BARCELONA (Reuters) -- Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard said his side did everything within its power to gain a victory over Celtic but they had to settle for a 1-1 draw on Wednesday because of the Scottish club's "anti-football" tactics.

The draw guaranteed the Primera Liga side a place in the last 16 of the Champions League but with AC Milan, who crushed Shakhtar Donetsk 4-0 at home, now two points clear at the top of Group F their hopes of qualifying in first place are now slim.

"Every opponent has the right to play according to their own style, that's part of football," the Dutchman told a post-match news conference at the Nou Camp.

"But once Celtic got their equaliser they sat back and defended even more. They played a sort of anti-football as they got eight or even 10 men behind the ball, although I understand completely why they did it.

"The second half wasn't a great advert for football and it was pretty awful for our fans, but my team did everything they could to win."

Barca dominated the first half, taking the lead in the 24th minute when African Player of the Year Samuel Eto'o slotted home.

But despite a string of subsequent chances the Catalans were unable to work their way past Celtic keeper Magnus Hedman and paid the price when John Hartson snatched an equaliser on the stroke of halftime.

Celtic packed their defence after the break and produced a gritty display to earn their first away point in nine Champions League visits and give themselves a good chance of earning a place in the UEFA Cup.

Barca now have to hope the Scots upset group leaders AC Milan in their final match and that they win their game at Shakhtar if they are to displace the Italians from first place. Celtic coach Martin O'Neill said: "The effort of the players was phenomenal against an absolutely brilliant team who beat Real Madrid 3-0 at this ground a few days ago and who lead their league by seven points.

"So to come here and gain a draw was a phenomenal result. The effort that this particular team has put in for the last four and 1/2 years has been wonderful. Tonight was a very special night for us."

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved.

(tu)

It was Messi that started the anti-football shite, not the media.

Exactly. Key words I found in the media:

"earned"

"terrific"

"heroic"

"It should be no criticism of Rangers"

Messi's wee outburst:

"Rangers didn't want to play football."

"They practised anti-football from the first minute and it's a shame."

After Tuesday's game against Barcelona, former Barca star Bernd Schuster launched a broadside at Celtic for what he saw as an "ultra-defensive" performance from the Scottish champions.

Speaking to Spanish radio station ABC Punto, Schuster said: "I am tired of watching matches like Barca-Celtic on television. I don't know what a team like Celtic are doing playing in the Champions League.

Lol !!!!

Heroic performance my arse - a media making a trash performance a romantic story, much the same as these refugees claim about oirlund.

Possession- barca 90: timophee 10

Shots at goal- barca 26: timophee 4

On target- barca 13: timophee 1

Corners- barca 15: timophee 1

90% possession unheard of - even in the pre-qualifier games. The reality of it is that barca are nowhere near the side they were, but they allowed the jimmy savilles 9minutes of play, in one & a half hours. FFS.