Sir walter invited on board

CHARLES GREEN has invited Walter Smith to join his Rangers revolution.

The Ibrox chief executive wants the legendary nine-in-a-row gaffer to play a leading role in the club’s future.

Green beat off last-minute interest from a Smith-led consortium to seize control back in June but the Gers chief has now offered the Ibrox great a seat on the board and says his experience would be priceless.

He said: “Walter and I have had a number of meetings and he comes to the games. He knows Rangers better than anyone. I’d love to get him back involved. I’d like to get him on the board and I would like to have him as an advisor.

“What Rangers need now is people who understand football, understand the club and understand the culture.

“There isn’t anyone on the board at Ibrox just now who knows anything about football — and that includes me.

“You could carry my knowledge of football in a mouse’s handkerchief! Someone like Walter would add great value. He knows more about Rangers than I’ll ever know.”

SunSport understands Smith would not want any footballing role for fear of undermining Ally McCoist.

But if he can be convinced funding is in place, he would be ready to consider a business role dealing with Scottish football. If Smith rejects Green’s offer, the Ibrox owner could turn to other legends instead.

He said: “I want to draw on these people. I’ve never been proud.

“Anyone who can advise me, then I’m going to listen to them.

“Anyone who wants to talk, come in and speak.

“There are a lot of people — not just Charles Green — who want to return Rangers to its former glory.”

Green, who has had a running battle with SFA chief Stewart Regan, also revealed he is still at war with the organisation for a £271,000 jackpot paid by UEFA for Rangers players taking part in the last European Championships.

He said: “We believe the money should be paid to the club, but the SFA are reluctant to release it.

“We said we would give them a bank guarantee in case anyone — I can’t think who — claimed they should have the money.

“But the SFA are not prepared to release the cash. It’s really annoying, especially after we settled oldco European debts.”

CHARLES GREEN has invited Walter Smith to join his Rangers revolution.

The Ibrox chief executive wants the legendary nine-in-a-row gaffer to play a leading role in the club’s future.

Green beat off last-minute interest from a Smith-led consortium to seize control back in June but the Gers chief has now offered the Ibrox great a seat on the board and says his experience would be priceless.

He said: “Walter and I have had a number of meetings and he comes to the games. He knows Rangers better than anyone. I’d love to get him back involved. I’d like to get him on the board and I would like to have him as an advisor.

“What Rangers need now is people who understand football, understand the club and understand the culture.

“There isn’t anyone on the board at Ibrox just now who knows anything about football — and that includes me.

“You could carry my knowledge of football in a mouse’s handkerchief! Someone like Walter would add great value. He knows more about Rangers than I’ll ever know.”

SunSport understands Smith would not want any footballing role for fear of undermining Ally McCoist.

But if he can be convinced funding is in place, he would be ready to consider a business role dealing with Scottish football. If Smith rejects Green’s offer, the Ibrox owner could turn to other legends instead.

He said: “I want to draw on these people. I’ve never been proud.

“Anyone who can advise me, then I’m going to listen to them.

“Anyone who wants to talk, come in and speak.

“There are a lot of people — not just Charles Green — who want to return Rangers to its former glory.”

Green, who has had a running battle with SFA chief Stewart Regan, also revealed he is still at war with the organisation for a £271,000 jackpot paid by UEFA for Rangers players taking part in the last European Championships.

He said: “We believe the money should be paid to the club, but the SFA are reluctant to release it.

“We said we would give them a bank guarantee in case anyone — I can’t think who — claimed they should have the money.

“But the SFA are not prepared to release the cash. It’s really annoying, especially after we settled oldco European debts.”

Cheers for that mate was posting from my phone so couldn't copy full artical.

If Walter wants it he can have it, Ally also wants it, most of the support want it, i can see why Walter would want to come back but equally i can see why he wouldnt with enjoying retirement and the madhouse thats circled our club recently. Whatever Walter decides is good enough for me.

I hate the way Green has a habit of referring to himself in the third person. For example: “There are a lot of people — not just Charles Green — who want to return Rangers to its former glory.” Has done this on several occasions and a few times when I saw him addressing the fans at the rep meeting a few months back.

I hate the way Green has a habit of referring to himself in the third person. For example: “There are a lot of people — not just Charles Green — who want to return Rangers to its former glory.” Has done this on several occasions and a few times when I saw him addressing the fans at the rep meeting a few months back.

Perhaps hes always having out of body experiences and enjoys commentary on his taig slaying antics :sherlock:

Walter doesn't want this, he deserves to spend his twilight years with his family away from bluster of Scottish football. He has done more than anyone could have asked him to do over the years for us.

Enjoy your retirement Walter and will look forward to you cheering us on at Ibrox as always.

if walter came back onto the board this must be a good thing for the club,CG has the the fans on his side so walter should join in too.put all parts of the jigsaw together and build the club bigger than before surely thats got to be our goal. :21: :21: :21: :21:

I was just about to post that.

Why does Charles Green always talk about Charles Green.

Walter doesn't want this, he deserves to spend his twilight years with his family away from bluster of Scottish football. He has done more than anyone could have asked him to do over the years for us.

Enjoy your retirement Walter and will look forward to you cheering us on at Ibrox as always.

He said he wasn't retiring. He tried to buy the club just a few months back remamber.

....... at least he wears a suit to his work ! :lol: :lol: is this a 'real' criticism - no!!!!