Jorg Albertz!

dee9

Spot on mate, didnt realise that. Its says between 1996-1998? Anyone know who these were against?

This is all I could find but he was actually the first Rangers player to be capped by Germany:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was at Hamburg that the left-sided midfielder built a reputation for scoring spectacular goals, earning his nickname The Hammer. An Adidas speed test measured his shooting at 80 mph.

In his last season at Hamburg he was made captain and the club finished fifth in the Bundesliga, securing a UEFA Cup slot.

Signed by Walter Smith, Albertz soon displayed the power and accuracy of his shooting, particularly from free-kicks, scoring 10 League goals in each of his first two season.

He made his international debut coming on as a substitute against Portugal in February 1996 and became the first Rangers player to be capped by Germany when he played against Romania in September 1998.

Albertz is passionate about the club and his adopted country - considering himself an honorary Scot and always kissing the badge on his shirt whenever one of his specials rockets into the net.

What does he think of Scottish football? "Scots will run after the ball and try to score goals for 90 minutes," he says. "In Germany, if you're two up, they'll take the pace out of the game."

This is all I could find but he was actually the first Rangers player to be capped by Germany:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was at Hamburg that the left-sided midfielder built a reputation for scoring spectacular goals, earning his nickname The Hammer. An Adidas speed test measured his shooting at 80 mph.

In his last season at Hamburg he was made captain and the club finished fifth in the Bundesliga, securing a UEFA Cup slot.

Signed by Walter Smith, Albertz soon displayed the power and accuracy of his shooting, particularly from free-kicks, scoring 10 League goals in each of his first two season.

He made his international debut coming on as a substitute against Portugal in February 1996 and became the first Rangers player to be capped by Germany when he played against Romania in September 1998.

Albertz is passionate about the club and his adopted country - considering himself an honorary Scot and always kissing the badge on his shirt whenever one of his specials rockets into the net.

What does he think of Scottish football? "Scots will run after the ball and try to score goals for 90 minutes," he says. "In Germany, if you're two up, they'll take the pace out of the game."

Great find cheers :clap:

Great find cheers :clap:

I have the definitive answer for you now, hahah...

He made his debut in 1996 as a 46min sub against portugal in an international friendly when he replaced Ziege at left back / wingback.

portugal: 1 Germany: 2

His 2nd cap was in a friendly against Denmark coming on in the 85th minute in Central Midfield to replace Stefan Freund.

Germany: 2 Denmark: 0

Jorg was selected as part of a German squad to travel to Malta to play against the home nation and guests Romania. His 3rd and final cap was when starting the match against Romania in Malta in a midfield five of: Albertz, Basler, Effenberg, Jeremies and Nerlinger. Not a bad midfield and two Gers men in there.

Germany: 1 Romania: 1

I have the definitive answer for you now, hahah...

He made his debut in 1996 as a 46min sub against portugal in an international friendly when he replaced Ziege at left back / wingback.

portugal: 1 Germany: 2

His 2nd cap was in a friendly against Denmark coming on in the 85th minute in Central Midfield to replace Stefan Freund.

Germany: 2 Denmark: 0

Jorg was selected as part of a German squad to travel to Malta to play against the home nation and guests Romania. His 3rd and final cap was when starting the match against Romania in Malta in a midfield five of: Albertz, Basler, Effenberg, Jeremies and Nerlinger. Not a bad midfield and two Gers men in there.

Germany: 1 Romania: 1

Well done that man! :spraise: Cheers mate

Advocaat forced Albertz and Gasgoine out the door because he didn't want prima donna. He then brought through Barry Ferguson the biggest prima donna of them all (tu).

Gazza left before the end of 10IAR when Walter was still in charge and while Albertz and Advocaat didn't have the best of relationships he played under Advocaat for three seasons and Advocaat only managed us for 3 1/2 seasons.

I do absolutely love Albertz though some of his goals and his performances were fantastic. One of my favorite Rangers players (tu)

im sure he played for a world 11

Could it have been Jari Litmanen's testimonial? I know that Andy Goram was in goals for that one. Well, it may have been a Finnish select... Hmmm.

EDIT:

No Albertz in this one (although Goram, Latapy and Dean Sh- I mean Ronald de Boer were all there.

Finland (“Sankarit” in Finnish, meaning Heroes):

Antti Niemi (GK), Sami Hyypiä, Hannu Tihinen, Mika Nurmela, Jari Litmanen ©, Joonas Kolkka, Toni Kuivasto, Aki Riihilahti, Toni Kallio, Jonatan Johansson, Markus Heikkinen.

Substitutes: Janne Saarinen, Jarkko Wiss, Teemu Tainio, Mixu Paatelainen, Juha Reini, Shefki Kuqi.

World XI:

Andy Goram (GK), Dougie Freedman, Erik Nevland, Michael Svensson, Boudewijn Zenden, Ronald de Boer ©, André Ooijer, Jesper Jansson, Lars Blixt, Runár Kristinsson, Elias Storm.

Substitutes: Pascal Chimbonda, Russell Latapy, Leif Gunnar Smerud

One of my favourite players of all time hence my username, i met the big man at Durrants testomonial dinner the day he and thern scored against

the tims(obviously they learned fuck all from the previous week) i got my photo took with him and in his 50/50 accent he said to my mate taking the

photo "cmoan hurry de fuck up" it was brilliant.

A true legend as he also hates the tims. :spraise: :spraise: :spraise: :spraise:

He was a great player, my brother's favourite Gers player ever.

As well as having that quite amazing power in his shots he was also a fine passer of a ball as well.

Dick played him less and less once he arrived though... no idea if it had something to do with the Dutch /German hatred thing ?

Loved albertz, many won't now I'm guessing though since he has not been vocal regarding our situation, it's funny how some just aren't doing what's expected of a legend in times of trouble and some can just do no wrong ;)

Where have the albertz and Carlos type fee kick takers gone eh.

Loved albertz, many won't now I'm guessing though since he has not been vocal regarding our situation, it's funny how some just aren't doing what's expected of a legend in times of trouble and some can just do no wrong ;)

Where have the albertz and Carlos type fee kick takers gone eh.

Albertz : "“I’m only sorry I am so far away or I would offer to help myself.”"

see here : http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/316537/Jorg-Albertz-sympathises-with-Rangers-buddy-Ally-McCoist

I too wish we had a 'hammer' in the team today.

Gazza left before the end of 10IAR when Walter was still in charge and while Albertz and Advocaat didn't have the best of relationships he played under Advocaat for three seasons and Advocaat only managed us for 3 1/2 seasons.

I do absolutely love Albertz though some of his goals and his performances were fantastic. One of my favorite Rangers players (tu)

Was it not already known that Advocat was coming tho when Gazza left ??,,, I thought that was the main reason he went too,,,,,as he knew he wouldn't be the type to feature in his plans. Jumping before being pushed kind of thing.

Borrowed from wiki....

In 1996 Albertz signed for Scottish Premier League club Rangers for £4m, and he helped them to their ninth championship title in a row and scored a famous free-kick against rivals Celtic in January 1997. Albertz became a huge favourite with the Rangers fans; however, after the departure of manager Walter Smith in June 1998, he was frequently left out of the starting line-up by the incomingDick Advocaat. At Rangers, Albertz became a Scottish championship winner in 1997, 1999, and 2000, before returning to Hamburger SV in 2001, later citing Advocaat as the main reason for his departure from Ibrox.

Met him a year ago, he was playing for Borussia Mönchengladbach Old Boys against a local Team. He was warming up, noticed my Gers top, came over and asked if I knew todays Rangers result. Chatting with one of your Idols for half an hour certainly makes you fill your pants. Top down to earth lad.