Rangers Mourn Robert - club statement

govanblue

Apologies if this is a repost...

http://www.rangers.c...rs-mourn-robert

RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB has sent its condolences to the family of supporter Robert Learmonth who sadly died after taking ill at Saturday’s game against Berwick Rangers at Ibrox Stadium.

Robert was taken to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow after emergency services had rushed to his seating position in the Broomloan Stand in the first-half.

Tragically the 57-year-old passed away and Chief Executive Charles Green has offered the sympathies of everyone at Rangers to his family.

He said: “On behalf of everyone at Rangers Football Club I would like to pass on my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Robert Learmonth.

“Robert was a season ticket holder and a lifelong supporter and we were all shocked and saddened to hear the sad news he had passed away at the Stadium on Saturday.

“It is unthinkable that anyone can come to a football match and not return home and our thoughts are with Robert's family and friends at this difficult time.”

Rangers Manager Ally McCoist also commented: “It was devastating to learn a supporter had passed away at the Stadium on Saturday and the tragic news certainly puts football into perspective.

“The Learmonth family were already mourning the passing of Robert’s father, who tragically died last week, so as a mark of respect the players will wear black armbands at Sunday’s Third Division match against Peterhead at Balmoor Stadium.”

The Club has taken the decision to wear black armbands due to the double personal tragedy to hit the Learmonth family in the same week.

This is doing the rounds on Facebook:

As most of you are aware, a fan at Ibrox never made it home on Saturday. Our very own piper, Craig has been asked to play a lament on the 54th minute of the next home game (SATURDAY THE 26th against Montrose).

The aim is to have the whole stadium silent, and on their feet.

I've been asked to pass this on !

", so I've been asked by loads of fans to play a lament on the 54th minute in the next home game at Ibrox for the fan that never made it home after Saturdays Game. Ideally, it would be great to keep the ground as quiet as possible with everyone standing and I'll play a wee tune for him. If as many of you as possible could share this status to pass on the word, It would be very much appreciated!"

:sherlock:

As most of you are aware, a fan at Ibrox never made it home on Saturday. Our very own piper, Craig has been asked to play a lament on the 54th minute of the next home game (SATURDAY THE 26th against Montrose).

The aim is to have the whole stadium silent, and on their feet.

I've been asked to pass this on !

", so I've been asked by loads of fans to play a lament on the 54th minute in the next home game at Ibrox for the fan that never made it home after Saturdays Game. Ideally, it would be great to keep the ground as quiet as possible with everyone standing and I'll play a wee tune for him. If as many of you as possible could share this status to pass on the word, It would be very much appreciated!"

:sherlock:

This.

Would be a magic gesture and I'm sure with enough advertisement our support will respect this impeccably.

If we can spread that wide enough I'm sure every single fan in the stadium including the away support will impeccably observe it. It would be a great touch

RIP Robert, you'll always be remembered brother.