Will Your Anchor Hold?

Dan Dan Ey

the atheist rangersfans will hate this song.they dont hide the fact that they want to rid this club of its history.

i would remind them that we are more than just a club for a reason.

theres a reason that stornoway and the islands rangers supporters club is the biggest of them all and its because of the faith they have and the history of rangers and the things we stand for.its not because its their local team.we are the people. the enemies are foreign and domestic.take away protestantism and were left with just a club.

watp.

Well said. (tu)

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really have any feelings on it as a 'Rangers song' but I will join in the ex BB back slapping. I was in the 1st Denny & Dunipace with Gretna FCs record goalscorer and the first male IVF baby ever born.

Was it still in the old church hall off Church Walk? I remember happy evenings there on disco nights in my youth. However being an atheist from a very young age I was never in the BBs or joined my old man in the lodge. Its not for me but its for them with faith to decide.

Was it still in the old church hall off Church Walk? I remember happy evenings there on disco nights in my youth. However being an atheist from a very young age I was never in the BBs or joined my old man in the lodge. Its not for me but its for them with faith to decide.

Westpark Church. Just along Duke Street a little bit.

the atheist rangersfans will hate this song.they dont hide the fact that they want to rid this club of its history.

i would remind them that we are more than just a club for a reason.

theres a reason that stornoway and the islands rangers supporters club is the biggest of them all and its because of the faith they have and the history of rangers and the things we stand for.its not because its their local team.we are the people. the enemies are foreign and domestic.take away protestantism and were left with just a club.

watp.

May I be the first to say___________ Utter Shite !!

If ever there was a reason for vetting posters your way out in front....

I don't need some made up belief to satisfy my conscience that I support a fantastic club

I also don't need divine intervention to guide me away from a club who are bitter & rancid

I love this song and I prayed it would get adopted during the very dark days of last year. It is so apt and of course many Bears, myself included, have learned this song while in the BB' s. I actually contacted Union Bears with the you tube link many months ago appealing to them to get it spread. It would be great if the club played this before a game and at half time.

This hymn is certainly a religious song but can't be classed a "Protestant" song. While it was sung by the BB's who were linked to the Church of Scotland, I can't belie that any other faith would take exception to it.

For those who were not in the BBs, here is the hymn:

Will your anchor hold in the storms of life,

When the clouds unfold their wings of strife?

When the strong tides lift, and the cables strain,

Will your anchor drift or firm remain?

We have an anchor that keeps the soul

Stedfast and sure while the billows roll,

Fastened to the Rock which cannot move,

Grounded firm and deep in the Savior's love.

It is safely moored, 'twill the storm withstand,

For 'tis well secured by the Savior's hand;

And the cables passed from His heart to mine,

Can defy the blast, through strength divine.

It will firmly hold in the straits of fear,

When the breakers have told the reef is near;

Though the tempest rave and the wild winds blow,

Not an angry wave shall our bark o'erflow.

It will surely hold in the floods of death,

When the waters cold chill our latest breath;

On the rising tide it can never fail,

While our hopes abide within the veil.

It's a Christian song mate - and the Anchor is Jesus.

You want to 'do religion', do it in church. Used to enjoy the tune when I was in the BB BUT that was a long time ago.

BB belt was aye handy if you got 'pulled up'.

Loads of more contemporary and relevant song choices.

A great hymn from a great Protestant youth organisation. It would stick in the throats of all our enemies because its untouchable.

But hey maybe Rangers doesn't have a Protestant heritage and if we do are we to leave it in church? Mmmmmmmmmm

What’s wrong with ‘Presbyterian’ culture, it probably accounts for 98% of our support. As for the Boys Brigade it’s a fine upstanding organisation, I myself rose to the dizzy heights of Sgt Castlemilk 19(B), and our song was ‘abide by me’.

May I be the first to say___________ Utter Shite !!

If ever there was a reason for vetting posters your way out in front....

I don't need some made up belief to satisfy my conscience that I support a fantastic club

I also don't need divine intervention to guide me away from a club who are bitter & rancid

If you've any hope for the future, read the history of Scotland. It is steeped in Christianity - and that is what set us apart, even from England. If you wish to know the pastm read a history book, if you wish to know the present, watch the news, if you need to know the future, read your Bible.

If you've any hope for the future, read the history of Scotland. It is steeped in Christianity - and that is what set us apart, even from England. If you wish to know the pastm read a history book, if you wish to know the present, watch the news, if you need to know the future, read your Bible.

Is it any more valid than Harry Potter?

Where is reality in all that ??

I left the BB when I was 11 or 12 (40+ years ago) because I was sick of singing hymns, sick of religion, and sick of people trying to tell anyone who would listen that their version of religion was better than everyone else's. I sure as hell don't want to start singing hymns at Ibrox now.

Is our history not real. From our many wars, to our saltire, to reformation, to our covenanters and to our many famous missionaries - is that not real. Or would you prefer a dvd.

Yes many wars fought over whos brand of god is best, that is real.

Universal education was started by the Church of Scotland and exported around the world so I would say its more valid than Harry Potter.

As I said Im an atheist but even I know the Church of Jock didnt write the bible. Kind of negates that analogy does it not?

As I said Im an atheist but even I know the Church of Jock didnt write the bible. Kind of negates that analogy does it not?

Showing your lack of knowledge. While the Church of Scotland didn't write the bible, they were the only group that encouraged people to read it, in order to read the bible you had to learn to read hence the development of education for all. With Catholics, the only ones who read the bible were the priests who would preach from the pulpit.

I went to Thornlie Church in Wishaw as a lad and was also a member of the LB's/BB's.I would love this song to be belted out by every bear before every game as it would be so fitting as we rise back up to where we belong as a club.Honestly it would be the number 1 club anthem the world over and would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand to attention.

Did anyone else sing this prayer at the end of each session.

At the end of the day

we kneel and pray

and thank you lord

for our work and play

i tried to be good

for i know that i should

thats my prayer

at the end of the day.

Those of you who have a problem with Jesus as "our saviour" are free to substitute Ally, Charles, Sandy Jardine, John Greig or even the club itself.

I think this could be very successful and emotional with a full house belting this out.