Paul le Guen

jdonald755

Anyone else ever wonder what would have happened if he had gotten more time ?

Some of the results were woeful but he could spot a player ( Hutton, MacGregor and Adam ), was trying to totally overhaul the training and mindset of the Scottish players. He tried and did bring young players through. Some of his signings were pish but we tried to play a certain style of football and we tried different things at set plays.

Maybe he tried to change too much too soon. Or maybe he was pissing into the wind with the players not being up for it. Or maybe he was a diddy. Who knows.

But got a lot of respect for him for the way he left ( without taking his big payoff ).

What is he upto nowadays ?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking when I was moaning about the coaching etc, he defo got the best out of Adam and it made me wonder if ferguson wasn't there and he had a bit more time what would he of went on to do but he haa done f all since he left us and he was meant to be Europe's next big coach.

He was too arrogant and tried to change the whole ethos of the club to quickly which was unfortunate as you could see in those first few games his style of play was progressive, fluent and entertaining! There was to much resistance to his fitness and health demands from the players and that mindset and attitude is holding us back to this day!

If he had came in with an assistant who had knowledge of rangers and the Scottish game or brought in a davie weir type to organise the defence it may have worked!

This is why I want a complete overhaul of the coaching staff but with ally in place as the figurehead....if we got guys in to work on fitness, health and mobility and eradicate this lazy attitude of the players I think it would reap the benefits!

I guess we'll never know how things would have went under PLG if he was given time. I wouldn't mind a guy like that now though. We wouldn't be able to attract someone of the same pedigree (PLG was tipped for the Real Madrid job before moving to us). However, I'm sure there's some quality coaches out there who we could get.

I'd like to see guys come in from outside of Scotland who can bring a fresh approach. No more of this 'Jobs for the boys' shit.

Coaches that can get the most out of what we have. Get our players fit. Get us playing a high tempo passing and moving game that will destroy these part-time teams. Our superior fitness levels alone should be winning us 80% of these games. These teams would be dead on their feet if we could play to a high intensity and keep it up for 90mins.

If we do ever get that let's not make the same mistake as we did under PLG. If the players don't like double shifts then the can GTFO. We need players who have the right attitude and are willing to work hard to better themselves and the team.

A great opportunity to change the culture at the club missed. Murray though lost his bottle and backed Ferguson and Six Fingers and decided to go backwards...as did many of the fans. Here we are all those years later and we still have the old boys and the same 20th Century culture.

I want a complete overhaul of the coaching staff but with ally in place as the figurehead....if we got guys in to work on fitness, health and mobility and eradicate this lazy attitude of the players I think it would reap the benefits!

If Ally thought that replacing the current Coaches with new ones was the right move then he would've done that by now. Maybe he just doesn't want to tell his buddies Durrant and McDowall that it's time for change and they need to go. Ally either can't see it or doesn't want to do it.

Another thing is because of the pressure associated with the old firm le guen was probably never going to last as it would have taken 2 or 3 season for his philosophies to take affect....this is why I am so disappointed with this season...had we went with that kind of approach at this level by the time we were back at the top we would have been flying! This has been a massive opportunity missed and it annoys me some fans seem content with that "as long as we win SFL3"....so shortsighted!

If Ally thought that replacing the current Coaches with new ones was the right move then he would've done that by now. Maybe he just doesn't want to tell his buddies Durrant and McDowall that it's time for change and they need to go. Ally either can't see it or doesn't want to do it.

or maybe not in this first season of all seasons in the bottom tier.

There were a few things he got massively wrong, most notably he completely underestimated/did not understand what was required from a centre half in Scottish football.

None of our defenders seemed to be able/willing to attack a ball in the air. We were thus constantly losing that battle and being put under pressure. This pressure seemed to then transmit right through the team. The first thing Smith did on his return was get in Weir & Ehiogu and we were instantly a better team!

Yes he may have signed some duds, but we were bargain basement shopping so that will always happen. I thought Clement was a cracking footballer and Papac was a great servant to the club (although PLG had him as a centre half which goes to my point above).

Also, there were undeniable problems with the "culture" at the club. Maybe it was a case of trying to change too much too soon? Also think you will always get a players/people in general, to buy in to your views if you are showing the benefits by success on the pitch, which we were not doing.

I honestly believe had he signed Weir (or dare I day it even Pressley who was a free transfer during PLG's time) he could have had more success/time to bed in his ideas.

He did play an exciting brand of football, was not afraid to bring in young players and got the best out of talented footballers like Buffell & Adam. He fared well in Europe too, where his tactics and style were probably more suited...albeit it was Europa rather than Champions' League so could be considered as being tested against the very best.

You cannot dismiss the impact Smith made on his return and the success he brought (some of my very best memories as a Rangers fan...the Uefa Cup, the 7 mins at Rugby Park!), but I do feel it was a chance missed (with a longer term view) with PLG. I also feel it has scared a lot associated with the club about a foreign manager/approach in future...although this shouldn't really apply to Charles Green, but many fans.

Scotland wasn't and isnt ready to give up on the booze culture sadly.

Not everyone in Scotland has that mindset. We just need to weed out those who do.

(Before I say this just keep in mind that I'm not comparing us to Barcelona. I'm just stating that you'll get guys with the wrong attitude at any level of the game.) When Barcelona decided to change the way they play under Guardiola even they had playing throwing the Toys out the Pram. Ronaldinho and the like all left. Those that stayed worked hard and look at what they achieved. Barcelona put a lot of work in to their training and it's obvious when you watch them that they work very hard on passing and keeping possession, movement off the ball, winning the ball back, they always know where each other are. That's what happens when you have a committed group of players who are willing to work hard in order to achieve things.

Barcelona play as a team and not as individuals.

Another thing is because of the pressure associated with the old firm le guen was probably never going to last as it would have taken 2 or 3 season for his philosophies to take affect....this is why I am so disappointed with this season...had we went with that kind of approach at this level by the time we were back at the top we would have been flying! This has been a massive opportunity missed and it annoys me some fans seem content with that "as long as we win SFL3"....so shortsighted!

You'd give Le Guen 2 - 3 seasons (with a budget, structure etc) but wont give ally 2 seasons despite having to totally rebuild a squad at short notice!

Given the way his career nosedived basically after he left the spoon fed post at Lyon I would doubt that he would have had any success given time here. His signings,lack of knowledge and failure to bother to do any research on our players and scottish football in general was evidence of what he lacks. When he sat rocking at a press conference asking the media what he should do was the nail in his coffin and lost him any respect that the players might have had.

Would he have spent more than Smith?

Not sure how much PLG spent.

I think Walter spent a good whack during his second spell. He signed some great players though like Cuellar, Bougherra, Miller, Weir, Mendes, Davis, etc.

Would have lamented the loss of PLG had it been proved we were wrong in getting shot of him but nothing he has done since leaving has proved us wrong. He knew nothing about our game and his signings in most cases were out of there depth still interest to blame everyone except PLG and his inability History has proved us right the PR was better than the product

Wonder what he could have done had he had the kind of investment the Advocaat had.

All Advocaat needed was a striker. If we got Dwight Yorke instead of Flo I think he would have done great things. Man United came in at the last minute and scuppered the deal for Yorke and it cost us big time.

Small things like that which make or break a football team.

All Advocaat needed was a striker. If we got Dwight Yorke instead of Flo I think he would have done great things. Man United came in at the last minute and scuppered the deal for Yorke and it cost us big time.

Small things like that which make or break a football team.

Hartson also, yeah he is a fat prick but he would have been a good striker for us.

That medical team were dire.