4-3-2-1 The Christmas tree

Sweetheart

Bouncy Bear.I was the one debating the strategy and tactical formation last night.I looked at the bigger picture and what I thought was Ally's long term goals.We have all called out for a set way of playing,A formation that can be implemented right through the teams.From our youth to first team.At present it is a 4 2 3 1.If you listen to the archive of last night's show,I have gave only my opinion as I see it.The system is extremely fluid.It can change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 during a game without changing the players on the park.

I have given my reasons for thinking Ally is going this way.I have also commented on the players that are currently being tipped to join the club over the summer.How they would fit into said system and how it would strengthen the all round squad at the club. Give it a listen on Rangerschat archive. I think some may agree with what I say.

I agree totally with all the points you debated, on the formation, what players we'd use and why Ally is using it. It really got me thinking after the show that the bigger picture could be Ally is building a EUROPEAN TEAM. I re-listened to the show from archive and you did say 4-2-3-1, my apologies.

Bouncy Bear.I was the one debating the strategy and tactical formation last night.I looked at the bigger picture and what I thought was Ally's long term goals.We have all called out for a set way of playing,A formation that can be implemented right through the teams.From our youth to first team.At present it is a 4 2 3 1.If you listen to the archive of last night's show,I have gave only my opinion as I see it.The system is extremely fluid.It can change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 during a game without changing the players on the park.

I have given my reasons for thinking Ally is going this way.I have also commented on the players that are currently being tipped to join the club over the summer.How they would fit into said system and how it would strengthen the all round squad at the club. Give it a listen on Rangerschat archive. I think some may agree with what I say.

what players have been tipped to come in? not listened to the piece, i will try to later

what do you envisage the starting 11 to be next season playing that system?

i think if Ally was trying to implement a style of play/system that all the younger teams would be playing the same system, does anybody know if this is the case? i know a couple of the guys on here follow the younger teams maybe they would know

If indeed he is trying to build and plan for 5 years time, then great and im all for it.

People saying these players wont be here cant see into the future. Players like crawford,macleod mckay,aird templeton could well turn out to be the best scottish talent in a long time.

Ally had to start with some players and try integrate them into a system- alot of players especially older ones wont adapt to new systems.

We have time on our side, when a club has to start again from scratch rebuilding will involve mistakes and slow progress.

The bigger picture could be Ally is building a EUROPEAN TEAM that will hit the ground running once we’re back at top flight? We have a few years to master this formation and should be well versed in it by time we are back.

thoughts....

I think you and the crack pipe need to end your relationship mate!!

No way is mccoist thinking that far ahead, he cant even get us winning domestic cups and knows the team we have now is likely to be unrecognisable by the time we are eligible to compete in Europe.

After we've made our signings, I'd prefer a 3-4-1-2.

Aye i'd rather we took this approach as well, it take it you mean using 2 wingbacks with 2 CMs? The only downside is that we are required to find 3 decent CBs which going on recent transfers we might get one maybe two at a push but definetly not 3.

As for the time being we should stick to a 4-4-2 and keep it simple the younger guys shouldn't be bombarded with intricate details of fancy formations at this stage, and going by the current crop of 'experienced' players they shouldn't be either, they seem to have trouble putting passes together. as the saying KISS goes, Keep It Simple Stupid and go back to the basics, do them well then move on from there.

Aye i'd rather we took this approach as well, it take it you mean using 2 wingbacks with 2 CMs? The only downside is that we are required to find 3 decent CBs which going on recent transfers we might get one maybe two at a push but definetly not 3.

As for the time being we should stick to a 4-4-2 and keep it simple the younger guys shouldn't be bombarded with intricate details of fancy formations at this stage, and going by the current crop of 'experienced' players they shouldn't be either, they seem to have trouble putting passes together. as the saying KISS goes, Keep It Simple Stupid and go back to the basics, do them well then move on from there.

Yeah I'd be putting Wallace on the left of the 4 in midfield. Not sure about the right. The 3 centre backs would just defend. As you say, I wouldn't want to try this just now because we don't have 3 centre backs good enough. For next season, we could use the pre season games to try and implement that system. I'd have Templeton as the one in the position off the front and this system allows us to keep 2 strikers up front.

Yeah I'd be putting Wallace on the left of the 4 in midfield. Not sure about the right. The 3 center backs would just defend. As you say, I wouldn't want to try this just now because we don't have 3 centre backs good enough. For next season, we could use the pre season games to try and implement that system. I'd have Templeton as the one in the position off the front and this system allows us to keep 2 strikers up front.

Looking back at out 3 most notable RBs recently, (dare i say his name) Whittaker- had his best season with us when he was given the opportunity to get forward, Hutton- looks mega going forward with Scotland bit of a liability for 5 mins after being harshly tackled, and Ricksen who we bought as a right back but then tried to make a CM out of him, was also great getting forward. With this formation it gives the flexibility of overpowering the weaker teams and the same players can be used when playing against the stronger teams with no need to alter formation or personnel. The attacking midfielder could drop back to CM if we are losing control of it, all we need to do is get players who are good enough and play then in the positions they are intended for and not try to shoe-horn them elsewhere.

Looking back at out 3 most notable RBs recently, (dare i say his name) Whittaker- had his best season with us when he was given the opportunity to get forward, Hutton- looks mega going forward with Scotland bit of a liability for 5 mins after being harshly tackled, and Ricksen who we bought as a right back but then tried to make a CM out of him, was also great getting forward. With this formation it gives the flexibility of overpowering the weaker teams and the same players can be used when playing against the stronger teams with no need to alter formation or personnel. The attacking midfielder could drop back to CM if we are losing control of it, all we need to do is get players who are good enough and play then in the positions they are intended for and not try to shoe-horn them elsewhere.

Maybe Tom Hateley could play on the right side. Not sure how good a defender he is but has a great delivery. Other than defenders, we could probably also do with a new striker and central midfielder. I think this formation would allow us to greatly utilise Lee Wallace's strengths too.

If we are trying to utilise Lee Wallaces strengthes then we need to get a right back who has the awareness to tuck in a little bit and free him to go forward when the play is going down our left hand side. It's a part of Papac's game that was often overlooked for years. He basically allowed Whittaker and Hutton to get forward at will because he could tuck in, Weir and Bougherra could shift across a bit and theny could basically cover them (how many times did we see Bougherra win the ball in the "left wing" position and bring it out of defence during 3 in a row?)

When Wallace came in at left back last season we seen a lot of McCulloch and Papac in the middle of the park so they could drop in and almost become a third centre half to allow both our full backs to try and push on and this ultimately resulted in a deeper midfielder, an isolated Jelavic and a reliance on Naimsith or Aluko to do something creative.

A right back who's first instinct or priority is to defend should be one of our top priortites this Summer because it'll give Wallace even more opportunity to get forward and it will free up Hutton and Balck to play five or ten yards further up the park.

If we are trying to utilise Lee Wallaces strengthes then we need to get a right back who has the awareness to tuck in a little bit and free him to go forward when the play is going down our left hand side. It's a part of Papac's game that was often overlooked for years. He basically allowed Whittaker and Hutton to get forward at will because he could tuck in, Weir and Bougherra could shift across a bit and theny could basically cover them (how many times did we see Bougherra win the ball in the "left wing" position and bring it out of defence during 3 in a row?)

When Wallace came in at left back last season we seen a lot of McCulloch and Papac in the middle of the park so they could drop in and almost become a third centre half to allow both our full backs to try and push on and this ultimately resulted in a deeper midfielder, an isolated Jelavic and a reliance on Naimsith or Aluko to do something creative.

A right back who's first instinct or priority is to defend should be one of our top priortites this Summer because it'll give Wallace even more opportunity to get forward and it will free up Hutton and Balck to play five or ten yards further up the park.

Yeah I would only continue to play a back 4 if we signed a good right back or if Darren Cole showed some form next season. At the moment Lee Wallace has to use his pace to cover some of the other defenders. Using a back 3 made up of good defenders would take some of the defensive responsibility away from Wallace. I thought on Saturday Fraser Aird sometimes got in Wallace's way a bit when he was going forward. Playing in him on the left of a 4 would give him the left side to concentrate on attacking. As for Black, I think he has a very good range of passing and would be most effective as the player playing deepest of a midfield 3 with the defenders feeding the ball into him.