4-3-2-1 The Christmas tree

Sweetheart

I was listening to Rangerschat.com and one of the articles debated was 4-3-2-1 which got me thinking

Ally has played this formation for most of the season, a lot of people have been asking why?

The bigger picture could be Ally is building a EUROPEAN TEAM that will hit the ground running once we’re back at top flight? We have a few years to master this formation and should be well versed in it by time we are back.

The 4-3-2-1 formation is maximized when it is used in European tournament games. It has good balance of attack, and defence. It requires extremely technical players with good movement, but can only be effective with the right players.

This formation is used mostly by Italian teams It was very successful in Europe, where Milan reached two Champions League finals,

It is difficult formation to combat, but when mastered can over run a standard 4-4-2 formation. it can also tranform into a 4-3-3 for defence.

thoughts....

Unfortunantly we don't have any where the quality of players required to start to compare ourselves with European clubs ... we got knocked out of the RAMSDEN cup ffs!

I genuinely think ally is playing one striker to avoid getting beat and is overly cautious

given time to develop players and buy additional ones could this be feasible?

Unfortunantly we don't have any where the quality of players required to start to compare ourselves with European clubs ... we got knocked out of the RAMSDEN cup ffs!

I genuinely think ally is playing one striker to avoid getting beat and is overly cautious

Of course he is mate, I can't see us getting close to Gretna's points tally tbh.

So Ally began playing one up front this season in preparation for European football? We had 5 years to wait (minimum) at the start of this season before we could achieve European football. We need to:

- Win Division 3

- Win Division 2

- Win Division 1

- Earn a European spot in the Scottish top Division. Then play in Europe the following season.

I know we might win a Cup which will accelerate us in to Europe a year early. If the question is 'do I believe Ally has us preparing for European football 4-5 years in advance of it my answer would be no. Most, if not all, the players we have now won't be around then.

Of course he is mate, I can't see us getting close to Gretna's points tally tbh.

We already can't. We've dropped 20 points this season ad there are still 6 games to be played. Gretba only dropped 10 points in the entire 2004-05 season, winning the league with 98 points. Their goal difference was double what ours is too.

In Ally's defence however there's a massive difference in the mindset of the opponent playing against Rangers over playing Gretna no matter how much money Gretna threw at it.

So Ally began playing one up front this season in preparation for European football? We had 5 years to wait (minimum) at the start of this season before we could achieve European football. We need to:

- Win Division 3

- Win Division 2

- Win Division 1

- Earn a European spot in the Scottish top Division. Then play in Europe the following season.

I know we might win a Cup which will accelerate us in to Europe a year early. If the question is 'do I believe Ally has us preparing for European football 4-5 years in advance of it my answer would be no. Most, if not all, the players we have now won't be around then.

Not sure of the maths there bud. I make it 4 years at most but expect to be in Europe after 3 due to a cup win. I know you did mention cups and I expect a European place to become available for the league cup winners over the next year or two as well as the Scottish cup.

We have 4/5 years until we are in a position to play European football, if during that time we build the squad and master the 4-3-2-1 formation we will be on par with other european clubs, as this formation is most favoured by european teams during tournament competitions. i believe Ally's aim is to win the league we're in (short term goal) and master the 4-3-2-1 for european competitions (long term goal).

We have 4/5 years until we are in a position to play European football, if during that time we build the squad and master the 4-3-2-1 formation we will be on par with other european clubs, as this formation is most favoured by european teams during tournament competitions. i believe Ally's aim is to win the league we're in (short term goal) and master the 4-3-2-1 for european competitions (long term goal).

I would to think even if Ally 'masters' the 4-3-2-1 formation you are in love with we will have a different crop of players at our disposal...therefore forget about bloody formations for competing in Europe - we're a million miles from that!

Concentrate on motivating players, getting the best out of them, improve fitness, discipline, set peace play and tactical know how and I'll be a happier bear

Also Ally will not be at the helm when rangers play against top European opposition that you mention

Against part time players getting paid a weekly wage, what our players earn in a few hours

Well Gretna bought that league win too. Their owner threw millions into the team.

The big difference between Rangers going through the 3rd and Gretna, is that the opposition raise their game against Rangers/ while on TV for a story to tell their kids. Noone remembers games against Gretna.

I was listening to Rangerschat.com and one of the articles debated was 4-3-2-1 which got me thinking

Ally has played this formation for most of the season, a lot of people have been asking why?

The bigger picture could be Ally is building a EUROPEAN TEAM that will hit the ground running once we’re back at top flight? We have a few years to master this formation and should be well versed in it by time we are back.

The 4-3-2-1 formation is maximized when it is used in European tournament games. It has good balance of attack, and defence. It requires extremely technical players with good movement, but can only be effective with the right players.

This formation is used mostly by Italian teams It was very successful in Europe, where Milan reached two Champions League finals,

It is difficult formation to combat, but when mastered can over run a standard 4-4-2 formation. it can also tranform into a 4-3-3 for defence.

thoughts....

Ally has played 4-2-3-1 for most of the season, not 4-3-2-1. Milan did use it to reach the 07 Champions League Final but that was mainly due to having a lack of strikers (after Shevchenko leaving) as they preferred the 4-3-1-2 which they used to reach the 03 and 05 CL Finals.

It is a formation that I liked when Milan used it. At that time Kaka and Seedorf played off either Inzaghi or Gilardino and they had a lot of freedom which made them difficult to mark.

Bouncy Bear.I was the one debating the strategy and tactical formation last night.I looked at the bigger picture and what I thought was Ally's long term goals.We have all called out for a set way of playing,A formation that can be implemented right through the teams.From our youth to first team.At present it is a 4 2 3 1.If you listen to the archive of last night's show,I have gave only my opinion as I see it.The system is extremely fluid.It can change from 4-2-3-1 to 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 during a game without changing the players on the park.

I have given my reasons for thinking Ally is going this way.I have also commented on the players that are currently being tipped to join the club over the summer.How they would fit into said system and how it would strengthen the all round squad at the club. Give it a listen on Rangerschat archive. I think some may agree with what I say.