Dave Bassett on Charles Green

I thought this was in some newspaper this morning, rehashed from last year!

www.express.co.uk › Sport › Football - CachedShareJun 28, 2012 – DAVE BASSETT reckons his arch-nemesis Charles Green is starting to show the strain as the heat on him at Rangers reaches white-hot levels.

www.express.co.uk › Sport › Football - CachedShareMay 12, 2012 – DAVE BASSETT has told Ally McCoist to watch his back because ... Rangers manager Ally McCoist talking on his phone at the training ground ...

Sep 20, 2012 – (Daily Express). Forgotten man Darren Mackie has been offered the chance to resurrect his ... Ex-Aberdeen and Rangers player David Robertson is head coach at the ... Former Sheffield United boss Dave Bassett warns Rangers fans to ... Rangers told to pay legal bills for five former players who refused to ...

Do you guys see a pattern there????

Why is the DR/Sun etc suddenly hounding Dave Basset for quotes. Or are they just reprinting old quotes..... ???

Season ticket renewal time. Similar toxic stories were in the same papers last year when the ST's went on sale.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My argument is no fucking stupid as its no an argument, he told all the fans at meetings at ibrox thats what he was doin, but cheers for insult no had one in a while.

My spidey tools are tingling and im gony shoot a web over your keyboard !!

OK let me put it this way, your view that Rangers are being kept as headline news because Green opens his trap is fucking stupid.

We are headline news because we are Rangers. Our sheer size will ensure we're discussed wherever we play.

Green has been flapping since Whyte reared his ugly head and its embarrassing.

The pattern is pretty hard to ignore. I take comfort though that in Ally we have someone who defuses the situation with his "I certainly won't be Rangers manager next year playing someone else's players, that's for sure".

That is the one aspect I find scary and one where I agree with Ally. CG did a good job at Sheffield in a fiscal sense. He messed up as soon as he started to interfere with football matters. According to Blades fans this is where it all went wrong for Green. I hope we don't see a repeat. Mind you perhaps he'd pick better players than Ally :pipe:

The pattern is pretty hard to ignore. I take comfort though that in Ally we have someone who defuses the situation with his "I certainly won't be Rangers manager next year playing someone else's players, that's for sure".

Is this a promise ? We live in hope.

Spot on bud :cgreen:

Same. Heard the stories about selling the playing field at Sheffeld if the price was right.

That being said whilst the marriage might not have been made in heaven its been borne more of convenience. Mutually we need each other at this time and its served a purpose. We are alive and winning titles lets see what the future bri gsand take it from there.

OK let me put it this way, your view that Rangers are being kept as headline news because Green opens his trap is fucking stupid.

We are headline news because we are Rangers. Our sheer size will ensure we're discussed wherever we play.

Green has been flapping since Whyte reared his ugly head and its embarrassing.

Did Whyte go seek out the media or is the reverse true?? Seems the media has gone trolling and are using Whyte as an easy mark just as they are rehashing old Dave 'no axe to grind' Basset quotes interspersed with some newer quotes.

We as you correctly state will always be news but once again The Club and CG appear to be in the cross-hairs of certain journos. I am firmly of the belief that elements within Scotland's media want our club to fail. They want Rangers pushing up the daisies along-side Third Lanark. I am of the same opinion I was a year ago - they want us to go out of existence. What better time to dig the dirt than when the ST's for next season are about to go on sale. They are trying to divide the support.

They seem to forget the adage 'that which does not kill us only makes us stronger'.

Dave Basset, I think some of his other work makes better reading..

An inch or two either side of the post and it would have been a goal."

"You've got to miss them to score sometimes."

"And I honestly believe we can go all the way to Wembley - unless somebody knocks us out."

"It would be a nice scalp for Scunthorpe to put Wimbledon on our bottoms."

"I like to think it's a case of crossing the I's and dotting the T's."

"We couldn't hit a donkey's arse with a frying pan."

"You weigh up the pros and cons and try to put them into chronological order."

"We are now entering a new Millennium and football's a completely different cup of tea."

"It would be foolish to believe that automatic promotion is automatic in any way whatsoever."

"The past is history."

Don't know if I can agree with everything he saying there.

Old news, like old stale beer left in the jug overnight is best poured right down the sink. On onto the field of potatoes. It is churlish, more likely wilfully ignorant, for the media to focus on rehashing old stories or in giving space to incredible people (Whyte) to air their even more ridiculous views. Is it only going to be left to Rangers itself through Jim T's book to be written with Charles to set the record straight on the hard work and achievements in hauling Rangers back from the brink of oblivion last year and setting the club on the course to recovery and back to the very top? Is the very anti-Rangers mentality so widespread that the media wilfully ignore the vast efforts to recover in favour of perpetuating false sensasionalism? It seems so. In which case the only people who can stand firm and defend Rangers is Rangers and its supporters themselves.

For balance, here's a more neutral piece on Bassetts time at Sheff Utd from wikipedia:

Sheffield United

In 1987/88, Bassett became one of the few managers to have the dubious honour of being involved with two relegated clubs in the same season. On 21 January 1988, just days after leaving Watford, he took over at Sheffield United. Despite bringing many new players, he was unable to prevent a weak team from sliding into the Third Division after losing the double-legged play-off with Bristol City 2–1

However, with the Bassett bringing his own backroom staff during the close season and more new players brought in, he took them back up at the first attempt in 1988/89. A second successive promotion following in 1989/90, and First Division football returned to Bramall Lane in the 1990/91 season for the first time since the 1970s. The most influential player in this team was striker Brian Deane, who was capped three times by England.

Sheffield United failed to win any of their first 16 league games in 1990–91, breaking a First Division record in the process,[8] and went into the new year at the bottom of the First Division. But a rousing resurgence in the second half of the season saw the Blades climb up to a secure 13th place in the final table. They did even better in 1991/92, finishing ninth in the First Division and securing a place in the new Premier League.

Sheffield United's Premier League debut was reasonable. They finished 14th in the final table, reached the semi finals of the FA Cup, and condemned Nottingham Forest to relegation by winning the penultimate game of the season.[9]However, when Brian Deane was sold to Leeds United during the 1993 close season, without him the Blades struggled. Bassett's luck finally ran out on the last day of the 1993/94 season. Needing a single point to avoid relegation, they lost 3–2 at Chelsea, having led 2–1 with 5 minutes remaining.[10] An eighth place finish in the 1994/95 Division One campaign was not enough for a play-off place, and Bassett resigned the following December with relegation looking more likely than promotion and protests against the board mounting.

Bassett's record doesn't help his claims. It does make him seem like he's blaming others for his failure.

This stuff was peddled when Green arrived, with Bassett sounding just as bitter.

There does appear to be a concerted effort within the article to draw as many parallels as possible with Ally and Rangers- backroom staff, share issues, etc.

One would almost think that there was a reason behind such an approach.

If I had taken over Sheffield United I suspect that one of the first things I would do is sack Dave Bassett. I don't mean that necessarily out of disrespect, but I would want a fresh approach. In saying that, I wouldn't have appointed Howard Kendall either, as his best years were behind him at that point.

Why is this story from last year been resurrected?

Because it is cheaper to employ FUDS sat behind a desk who can copy and paste, than it is to employ intelligent people who can drive petrol guzzling cars to interview people who ask for a free lunch and a back hander for information. Do you know the price of petrol these days?

How come whyte didnt get this level of scrutiny about his past ? when he came in , the papers could tell you fuck all about him but they know every single wee detail about Mr Green .

I can`t see this ending well , can`t some cunt on here win the euros and buy the club and appoint a president who just runs the club and does not want publicity like a peter kenyon , martin edwards type .

Honestly this is ancient ,pulling out Old News that we already Dredged up over a Year ago.

FFS Cant people see what is happening here ?

The Mhedia and our Haters are having an absolute Blast at all of us Sc reaching and Finger Pointing at Green.

If he makes Money on Rangers then Great , its called Business and Rangers will be Prosperous again.

But we have to Supprot the Club /Team.Thats what Fans do FFS.

Everything in that story is happening with us. Sacked the scout, sacked the physio etc etc.... Raised millions in a share issue, the next step for Green will be to turn on Ally.

He's either going to back Ally and Ally will get the players Ally wants then Green is going to sell them.

Then another manager will have to start all over again building a new team which won't be Ally.

Apart from doin a billy mcneill and being in charge of 2 teams watford and sheffield that got relegated under his management in the same season what else has this wee arsehole ever achieved except talkin poisonous shite ? He must be fhenian lover ! :sherlock:

Rangers: Charles Green ‘among best I worked with’ – Howard Kendall

Charles Green was announced as Rangers' new owner on Sunday. Picture: SNS

Charles Green was announced as Rangers' new owner on Sunday. Picture: SNS

By ALAN PATTULLO

Published on Wednesday 16 May 2012 00:00

Howard Kendall has sought to ease the fears of Rangers supporters who remain sceptical about Charles Green’s involvement in their club, describing the former Sheffield United chief executive as one of the best officials he has worked with in football.

He has also assured Ally McCoist that, if the backing he receives from Green is anything like that which he enjoyed, then the Rangers manager “will be a happy man”.

Kendall was hired by United in December 1995 to arrest a slump in form which looked set to deposit the club in English football’s third tier. The task of preserving their status in the old Division One was achieved and Kendall set about building a squad that was strong enough to take the club back into the Premier League, with, he said, Green’s full support.

Kendall made his managerial name with Everton, where he won two First Division titles and a European Cup Winners’ Cup among other honours. He rates Green as up there with Jim Greenwood, the respected secretary/chairman at Goodison Park over three decades in the Seventies, Eighties and Nineties. “I had a tremendous relationship at Everton with Jim Greenwood,” said Kendall. “And Charles would be up there.”

“I was able to go out with the help of the board and Charles and bring Premier League players to Sheffield United at that particular time,” said Kendall, speaking to The Scotsman yesterday. “He backed me to the hilt. We signed [Michael] Vonk from Manchester City, David White from Manchester City, Andy Walker from Bolton and Jan-Aage Fjortoft from Middlesbrough.”

Many Sheffield United fans do not remember Green quite so fondly, and accuse him of ruthlessly dismantling the team. The season after losing out in the play-off at Wembley against Crystal Palace, for whom Scot David Hopkin scored a late winner, both Deane and Fjortoft were sold on the same day, although Kendall, too, had already left, having been lured back to Everton for a third spell as manager. Nigel Spackman, his successor, resigned in protest at the departure of two of the club’s best players, while chairman Michael McDonald – rumoured to be involved in Green’s consortium at Rangers – resigned shortly afterwards.

Other stories have emerged to reveal a less appealing side to Green, about whom one former Sheffield United player, in conversation with The Scotsman yesterday, said: “Charles is only in it for Charles”. Kendall, however, begs to differ, and described Green as a football man, but who knew how vital it was to balance the books. Green helped to get Sheffield United listed on the stock exchange in 1997.

“Obviously, I had to bring money in at certain times but, as a manager, I really appreciated the work he did,” he said.

“It was a big club going through a bad time, and the first objective was to keep them up. The following season I got the backing of the board to go out and bring in better quality players, and it nearly worked out. I used to find the players, and the money was made available. There were other times, of course, when he said we need to try and sell this one to be able to try and buy that one.

“You don’t go from fear of relegation to a play-off the following season with the same players,” pointed out Kendall. “You don’t do that without the support of your chief executive.”

Kendall dismissed fears that Green, a venture capitalist, is only interested in football to make a fast buck. “He was a football man, he understood the game,” he said. “He is well up with the football.

“He was full-time,” continued Kendall. “He had an office next to mine and naturally we spoke every day. Sheffield United were in trouble when I went there but the board wanted them in the Premier League. And we nearly did it. If not for injuries, we would have done it.” Kendall pinpoints an injury sustained by former Scotland international forward Don Hutchison as having been the critical factor in the club’s failure to make it into what was then known as the FA Premiership.

Informed of Rangers’ fans scepticism, something which has been further encouraged by Green’s refusal to name the other parties in his consortium, Kendall said: “I don’t think you need to know a lot, because what happens is the most important thing. I am sure Ally [McCoist] will get the full backing. If it is anything like the full backing he gave me, then I am sure Ally will be a very happy man.”